Water Heater / Shower

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jtmiyake, Jun 18, 2015.

1. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

I stumbled across this the other day. Mr. Heater makes a water heater that looks pretty slick, but quite spendy. I don't plan to purchase one as I still have a ZODI that I can bring along if I think I will need a shower.

AquaCube

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Just like Goldie Locks....

I tried the Big Green Machines (Coleman) and felt it was too big.
    I tried the Zodi, 2 bottle Machine and it was too tricky
    I tried the wall hanging one, and it seemed to be just right...

Coleman:
    Many find it works just fine and use it regularly. and it works just great, I felt it was just to bulky to haul around.

Zodi:
    heheh, Well Zodi worked great too, but was too tricky in making sure the water wasflowing before lighting, setting the temp, too hot and ultimately, par for the course, I did light the Fires before the water flow and when the water did turn on 10 sec? it turned it into a steam bath and cracked a pipe or something, water was dripping out, so let it go.

Ecco Temp:
    I still have this, tried it once and seemed to work perfectly as it doesn't ignite and water flow until you turn the dial. Smaller and easier to have around, hangs on something. I had one of those square shower tents and hung it in there with the two hoses, water/propane going out the side to the TD.

It's a matter of use/storage and hassles. I just stopped taking showers, problem solved, (joking) heheh, but it's just me so within 3 days I'll find a shower or will be heading home. for dish washing, just heat up the kettle and I use the 3 tub system.

1st = hot soapy water
    2nd = initial rinse
    3rd = final rinse.

Used paper as much as possible, but the little plastic tubs stacked and easy to carry.

and I'm still alive.. heheh
    So that's what I finally settled on, hope that helps.

But the Cube looks good, but again, bulky.. IMNSHO...

I did a quick search for camping hot water heater and it shows the pics of the various types available.

fun..

3. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. fpoole

Interesting,
    That would make an excellent option.

I'm assuming the weight of the fully filled container will work on the campinn stove without any problems and "Clearance Clarence" reaching up to the hatch when opened...

I like that idea as you just carry it with you. No hoses needed, portable... hmmmm... just might look into that...

Thanks Cary... there's always something new..

But???
    More Power, AAarrg-Aarrg..
    something like this.heheh
    (fill with hot water)

[​IMG]

(actually looking at it for 'Buggy' cleaning)

pick and choose

fun..

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ya, one of my customers here in WI turned me on the Zodi extreme. I have one I use myself now. It sets on the stove fine with plenty of clearance Clarence. The stove will support alot of weight. What is neat is the water will stay hot in it for a long time so after heating I set it on the ground under the table and use it from there. There is also a version that comes with a heater to set it on. That is cool because it will connect to the camper's gas whip but it is super underpowered so would take forever to heat the water up. But, one could use it to keep the water hot after heating it up on the stove top. I have the one with the heater.

Cary

6. fpoole

Yah, that is pretty kewl...

[​IMG]
    like this.... [​IMG]

You'd heat up the water to hot on the stove and then just let it keep warm using the bottle or TD whip on the stand and fill as needed, hmmm... dishes etc..
    Nice...
    Thanks Cary..

Will be keeping that in mind..

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

We use campground showers when available, but for boondocking we set up our Cabela privvy tent and use a solar shower (hanging bag). Though the shower is typically cold!!

8. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

http://www.roadshower.com/
    Anyone had any experiance with this setup?
    For boondocking would work well in warmer climates..

9. fpoole

I've seen them...

I used to,15 yrs ago, have one I made for dive rinsing.
    5-gal, those blue round jugs, and ran a hose through it. Not quite the same, but I'd fill up with hot bathtub water, wrap it in the bubble foil wrap and at dive site would put on top of truck.

Of course up in the PNW during the non-summer months we do have "Sun-Breaks" but not enough to heat anything. By filling with hot water at home and having it foil wrapped, after the fist dive it was TOOOO hot to rinse.. heheh, go figure...

The point being, it probably works great if you have sun and it might get too hot.. and the amount of water?

I think I'd still go with the tank above

Always something new eh?

10. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  11. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sherry,

I recall the same post by Sarah. Mick did build it himself.
    Maybe Sarah can share that post again.

12. I also use the solar bag, but heat my water in a tea kettle until it is warm. I have washed my hair, taken a shower in our shower tent and found no problem with this.

13. rrunneals

rrunneals Novice

14. I bought this on Cary's advice, but have yet to use it as our outside temps have been slightly prohibitive. It's well-constructed, and light.

On the other side of this equation... since the commercially available portable shower/change/porta-potty stalls that allow you to use this in a semi-public setting are very bulky to store (and too short to accommodate a 6'4" person) I'm working on 3-sided open-top shower stall that double-duties the telescoping poles from our side tent and canopy set-up. This will likely be a spring project (when I figure out the top bracket arrangement), and will post pics when completed.

15. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I used to use a sun shower but found that it was often difficult to find a suitable place to hang it. I've moved on to a collapsible bucket and a battery operated shower pump. I heat water up on my stove and dump in the bucket and can set up the shower nearly anywhere. The collapsible bucket and shower pump get stored under the bed.

LisaNKevin and RollingRob like this.
  16. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

This is a nice product for cleaning up without water:

ShowerPouch

LisaNKevin and RollingRob like this.