Announcement Well - I Took The Plunge - Sent In My Deposit!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Build Journals' started by rickdernberger, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I swear, this forum is like crack cocaine! I keep telling my wife that IT is to blame (certainly not me) for my recently sending in my deposit for a 560 Ultra without having ever seen one up close and personal.

Some how, (and I'm still scratching my head on how this happened), I transitioned in mere weeks from A) Casually learning more about Camp Inn tear drops as a lurker on this forum, to, B) Registering as a member of this forum, to, C) Letting Betsey sweet talk me into renting a 560 and attending CICO, to, D) Asking so many questions of fellow forum members that I inadvertently became a "Top Poster", to, E) Beginning an e-mail correspondence with Cary that led to, F) Asking for a quote, contract, and sending in the deposit.

Here is the funny thing - I am more confident of this purchasing decision that has been made without my ever having seen the product than I have been of other purchases where I did see what I was buying. Why? Because of all of YOU generous folks who have patiently answered my questions, and all of the previous threads that are available to review on this Unofficial Forum.

Of course, I'm not just buying a Camp Inn Tear Drop - I'm joining a Club, or a Family, or a Tribe - or something like that. The sense of community with CI owners and support by the manufacturer has probably been as big a factor for me as the quality of the product.

Anyway - this sub-forum is supposed to be a place to introduce ourselves; so here I go: My name is Rick, and I am a Tear-aholic ("Helllloooo Rick!") I live in a little town called Zeeland which is right next to Holland, Michigan - known by many for its annual Tulip Festival. I work as a clinical social worker (therapist) at a local college counseling center. I get summer's off, like teachers, so I'm really excited about the possibilities of adventures in the Raindrop.

My wife, alas, does not get summer's off. Furthermore, she is by no means sold on the whole teardrop thing. I made this decision knowing that I would be mostly traveling with our youngest daughter who is 8, and by myself at times. I remain hopeful in wooing my spouse to catch the Camp Inn fever too - I'm trying to get her to come to CICO with me, hoping she can also begin to feel the magic- but we shall see. In any case, I will still be renting a 560 next month and attending Camp Inn Camp Out. I look forward to meeting many of you then, and even more of you in the month and years ahead!

Thank you again.

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Congrats Rick! Many happy years of camping to you and your family! You are going to love every minute, and the addiction gets worse once you own one! I just got Mick to agree in a tired stupor to taking a couple of weeks off next summer to do Yellowstone or Glacier or both. And maybe we'll throw in some Alberta (Banff and Lake Louise), because we are in the neighborhood. Not sure what will pan out, but I already have plans for next year and this year isn't even over yet!

And you are right, the forum is like crack, but slightly healthier! Although, maybe not for your pocketbook! :)

3. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I really don't think it took much sweet talking! :D

Careful there son, them's fightin' words... :whistle:

Looking forward to meeting you & (hopefully) your wife, too!

:cool:

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Rick smart decision,you will be very happy,now you have to get your wife to catch fever. :)

5. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Congrats on your new 560. Story sounds familiar. The forum is a great resource. For us, it started because we want to go to Alaska next year and did not want to stay in hotels. Friends of ours started sending us pics of all kinds of campers. We had never seen a tear drop so when we did it was really intriguing.

Mike started communicating with Cary and he set us up to see a 560 in Florida. Prior to going to see the 560 we went and looked at a Little Guy. As soon as we saw the 560 we knew that was what we wanted. The quality was what really hooked us and I have to say that the forum was also a big influence. Great people with great ideas!!

I have lost Mike to the forum. He comes home from work and the first thing he does is get on the forum to see what is new. Our kids were here last week and they asked what is he doing? He is seeing what is new with his new friends I said.

We are so looking forward to picking up our Crab Pot the end of September and heading to the Camp Inn Camp Out so we can meet all of our new friends. Thanks to everyone for all your input and making this decision so easy.

Carol

6. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Rick - Keep encouraging your wife to come with you when you try out the 560. My husband Terry was not totally on board till we rented the Camp-Inn this June. The rental experience totally got him on board with the idea, as we both agreed we had finally found the camper that matched our camping style to a tee. This all happened after we had already bought our new Scamp trailer in April 2011 - the trailer we were going to retire with. We never bonded with that trailer the way we did with the rental Camp-Inn in just one weekend. By July we found our used 560 in Kentucky, and we are so pleased with the whole new experience!Congratulations to you!! We also look forward to meeting you and many other of our new Camp-Inn friends in September! -Julie

7. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Rick,

Congratulations... I went through a similar process, without the rental... the forum is huge in making a decision. The entire process will be painless - the CI folks are incredible and the camping experience a blast.

Went camping this weekend with two other couples - they had tents... on Sunday morning when we were heading out... we were packed and ready to go way before they were. As Frank P says... best of both world - sleeping inside - cooking and eating outside.

And what an experience for you daughter.

Best

DaveK

8. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Way to go Rick. Just Get your wife to sit on that couch, she'll be sold. Just think in just a few days you will have a pile started of things to go in it. :D

9. schluns

schluns Novice

Congrats Rick! I think your wife may realy enjoy the benifits of camping with a CI. Hopefully she will join you at cico.

10. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

Rick you will find that this will prove to be one of the most memorable purchases you will ever make. We too purchased sight unseen based on the CI website and the Forum. We have had our 550 Ultra for 15 months and passed the 50 night mark 2 weekends ago. We have camped in tents, RVs, and even under the sky in our younger years when the ground wasn't quite as hard. I can honestly say that the CI provides one with the ultimate camping experience, again congrats!
    Leo