What is everyone cooking at CICO this year?

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by GinaNBob, Sep 8, 2014.

1. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Hi everyone
    This will be our first CICO and we were wondering what everyone cooks for the pot luck? We borrowed my sister in laws Dutch oven. Is there a community cooking spot? Do you cook it at your own site and then bring to dinner? Do you have to cook in a Dutch oven? How many servings should you make?
    Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
    Gina

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Gina,

I'll try to answer your questions. :)

1) There will be a huge variety of food for the potluck...Appetizers, breads, salads, side dishes, and main dishes. The only item we ask people NOT to bring/cook is dessert, as we provide that.

Some people cook there, some bring precooked, some buy food locally...really depends on your travel time and what you want to do.

I used to post a potluck list online but there are way too many people to do that now. Keeping it updated is a bit of a nightmare. Instead, there is a sign up poster at the Camp-Outt for anyone who wants to add their dish.

2) There is no community cooking spot...unless you want to join with other camper(s) at your or their site.

3) After preparing your food, just bring it to the potluck. You can bring your contribution over to the serving tables anytime from 5:00pm on. We will meet at 5:30 for the group picture and then have dinner after that. So, the sooner everyone gets there for the picture, the sooner we can eat!

4) Dutch ovens aren't required for cooking but they are popular among many of us...don't get me started on who has the most cast iron...that could get dangerous! lol

5) Portion size is always an issue. We ALWAYS have enough food to feed a small country! What we tell people is to bring enough to feed your family (the ones attending) plus 2 more people. Doesn't sound like a lot but based on the number of camping groups we already have attending, that would be enough food for 220 people! That will also allow for people who want seconds.

We run two separate sets of tables for dinner, each with a spot for appetizers, breads, salads, side dishes, and main dishes. That way we can have four lines of people and the wait isn't too long. Last year, we had to make a change last minute due to rain. I asked Craig if he could bring over the enclosed box trailer from the shop for us to set up the food in so we could be out of the rain. Because of that, we only had one set of tables and two lines, which did take quite a bit longer.

When you bring over your food contribution, you may be directed to a specific table line by one of our helpers (they try to keep the numbers/types of dishes on the two lines of tables balanced). The tables will be marked off in sections (main dish, side dish, etc) and there will be a box of markers and cards on each table line so you can label your dish (like chicken enchiladas or tamale pie or other dishes where it may not be obvious what it is) and also you can put if it is gluten free or has nuts in it. If you wish, you can put your name on it. We always have people who want to know "Who made the _____?"

Hope this helps answer your questions.

:cool:

3. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Thanks so much Betsey.
    Nice to know I don't have to cook if I don't want to. Now back to the planning!
    Gina

4. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Gina,
    The cooking part is some of the best fun when camping. Food always tastes better when cooked outside. For sure don't be afraid of the Dutch Oven. If you can crock pot, you can Dutch Oven.
    I have to confess, I am a cooking junkie, it is what I love to do. I am not a good cook by any means.

Have fun with it.