What would you want in a Camping App

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by Jay & Valerie, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Hey All,

A friend and and I toy around with app development on the side. We did an app for Home Buyers a while back that allows home buyers to keep track of all the homes they are looking at, score them, etc. It was based upon my experience when buying a home to help avoid confusion.

Basically, we try to build apps based upon things that we might want/need and now that I have my own 560 Ultra, I have looked at some camping apps but none of them really seem all that good. So, now we are considering doing a camping app. In order to do it right, I am doing some research and thought I would ask, what would you want in a camping app...I am guessing the basic info like where to find camp grounds, campground details and amenities, directions, etc. What else might you want? Ability to take, upload pictures? Ability to rate the campground? Make reservations?

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

A camping journal would be great. It could keep track of miles, trips, nights (when and where), etc...

3. birder526

birder526 Novice

All of these ideas are great! How about nearby attractions? Could it have the ability to allow followers to add comments, etc. ? Like a community journal?

4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

I like Evan's idea of a journal. How about check list of all of the necessities you might need to bring?

5. Jay & Valerie

Thanks All,

Please keep them coming. I will gather all of this into a requirements doc so we can put together a development plan.

Perhaps once we get something in beta, we can share it with you to test out.

We will likely hit Android first this time...(last time we did Apple first then Android).

6. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

How about nearby supply center for camping supplies, things in case of breakdown, or just a great camping supply place?
    Local things to do such as fishing....kayaking.... Etc?

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

Yay! Being Android users we'd be happy to beta test!!

8. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Propane Fill Station locations

9. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Camp grounds that will allow the CI in tent areas so we don't need to be next to the big rigs.

10. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Include pet policy on the campgound info.

11. Jay & Valerie

Thanks. Please keep the feedback coming...we have an early working draft now and will be building in more detail in the coming weeks/months.

12. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jay,
    Specifics on camp sites would be helpful too. For example if the campground has generator free zones, water, electricity, etc.