Where do you carry stuff?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by AlCat, Sep 15, 2014.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I've started wondering about the "best place" to carry/store things while traveling (camping).

For example, I don't carry wine in the td, because I think the temperature in the td(while driving) is likely much higher than it is in my tv.

I also thought about carrying some food items (fruit, veggies) in the td galley, but I am guessing it gets to 100 degrees easily, in there, and that can't be great for the fruit and veggies. So they stay in the tv, also.

What about the Dometic fridge? Any thoughts on whether it's better for that to be in the tv, plugged in, rather than in the td?

Nonetheless, I still keep coffee, sugar, flour, oil in the td, because these stay in there from trip to trip to trip (the td is stored in my garage), but based on how the chocolate looks that gets stored there, I am wondering how great it is to store any food stuffs in the td.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I am guessing this has been covered in other threads, but it's a hard topic to search.

-Al

2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

see post #28648 by Jim H. on 7/23/14 for more info...below is part of the thread:
    Based on experience in the area south of the grand canyon in hot weather in mid September with the dometic refrigerator when in the rear with the hatch closed there is no ventilation and the unit will fault and shut down. What we found was it was fine in the rear of our tow vehicle where we had it plugged in. We have also found that the cosy for the stainless steel cooler really extends the ice. So our recommendation is the refrigerator in the tow vehicle and the cooler in the teardrop.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The Dometic stays in the car always. I take a number of day trips while camping, enjoy having cold beverages, sandwhich, and snacks available.

I have a tall rubbermaid tub that contains COBB grill, charcoal, and misc items that fits in the stove area. Sits on the ground while in camp.

As for food stored in the galley: dry and canned items, oil, coffee, tee, etc.

Depending upon temps I might place bread, onions, garlic, peppers etc in the galley.

Jean

Kevin S likes this.
  4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, Samo-samo as above.

No "Ice Box" but Yeti 35-qt goes, usually in-between the cabinets where the stove is moved to.

Dry goods, small stuff, coffee, sugar, spice, oil, stay in the Trailer, pots/pans (way too many) on the deep rt bin, cutting board, towels, foil, misc in Lt bin. I have a lot of stuff I could probably remove, but I always have hope... that someday I'll use it all..

Foods, if not in the Yeti-75-qt, go in a clear plastic tub, 20qt? and any back up stuff, oatmeal, chips, rolls, back up canned goods, anything dry but going to use on the trip.

I do this for several reasons,
    - Heat in the trailer if that is an issue,
    - Ease of packing and KNOWING what I've packed. I can take the bin in house if need be.
    - Critter control. i used to bring it out, under the big table but end up at 3-am (as you know) with the scratching sounds of critters.
    - Clear so I can tell what bin is what

Probably a few other reasons but can't remember them.

My camping Profile is to back/pull trailer around to where I want the view from the kitchen area. I then back my truck up to the door side at an angle for privacy and keep the big Yeti 75 and the food bin in the back of truck. It's close to the kitchen, gives some privacy, and I don't have to keep loading/unloading, I just put up the truck hatch and Critters be gone.

I also drop the TD hatch and just close it for the same reason, Crows start squawking even though nothing is out if it's open.

Yeti 35 goes off to the side, it's just beer/wine coolers and while they are "Bear Protected" I'll slide it under the TD just to be sure. Folding chairs get folded and usually put under the TD, rain/fog/mist/dew.

[​IMG]

and heater setup running from TD, really nice in the cool mornings...

[​IMG]

Fun...

5. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Frank, So the Yeti 35 fits in the steel cooler space. How much better does it work than the steel ones? Did you find that you needed the extra insulation that the Yetis provide--they also add a lot of extra weight. Are you happy with them and think that they are worth the weight and cost?

Thanks! Sharon

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sharon,
    Yep, Yep and Yep.. heheh...to all the above...

I'll still use the Steel (Coleman) if doing a 1-2 day camp out, but anything longer will be the big boys... Weight on the TD is not an issue regarding this cooler or that cooler. It fits right in (550) about an inch on each side. I can still put the little side table on top and the bigger one fits right in there as it should.

Yeti is pricey but a once in a lifetime cooler. When I compare the Ice still in the bags after a few days you really notice the difference and in hotter weather especially, but....

the real difference I notice was my hands were actually aching from the cold, seriously... like putting hand in a ice cold mountain stream for a minute... that's why I'll ALWAYS take the smaller 35 for beverages aka "Happy Hour Supplements"..

They aren't light for a single person that's why I'll leave the 75 in the truck but I do and can take it out if I can't get truck close and it's longer than a day or two. I'll still leave it in the if in "Big Critter" (Bears cougars etc) country.

Well worth it IMNSHO, the investment just goes along with your Camp Inn investment, quality over pricing. Haven't heard of anyone "complaining" about them.

[​IMG]

In Cedar City, UT
    Note 75 was under tree, worked great.

[​IMG]

(heheh, sorry for posting so many pics, but I just saved "2000 words" right???) I get carried away at times...

Monica & Bill likes this.
  7. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Thanks Frank--I love your info and your pics! :)

Sharon

8. AlCat

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  9. AlCat

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  10. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The dometic will drain the car battery after 2 days, yes I have learned the hard way a few times. Typically I run an extension cord from dometic to a plug in. If not available, have to run car at least 30 minutes daily, which typically is not a problem because of geocaching activities.

11. AlCat

There is NO CHANCE my TV battery would run the Dometic for two days.

Are you saying you can plug the Dometic into your TV for two days, and not turn the TV on for those two days, and your TV will still start? If that is "normal," then I definitely have a problem. I can't even charge mobile phones overnight in my TV without the "low battery" warning light coming on.

-Al

12. Pick

Pick Novice

I've not gone two days but I have one and one half days no problem. The Dometic should shut down before it totaly drains the TV battery.

13. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Once you understand that it is better to be driving down the road with the Dometic in your TV pulling your TD than watching your TV with your Dometic in your TD - it makes sense