Wind damage to galley

Discussion in 'Camper's Confessional' started by pat walsh, Apr 7, 2013.

1. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

I opened the galley at a rest stop and a huge blast of wind splintered the arm that holds the hatch up. will open later to Access the damage.
    ------
    Just opened the galley and found that it is the top piece of the track that the arm runs in not the arm.
    -------
    Also neglected to plug in our Dometic when we left home so our frozen food was no longer frozen.

2. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Pics of damage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

not sure how we can fix this but will talk to Cary or Craig might be another trip to Camp Inn but does not look as bad as I at first thought. it is cracked completly through so will need a fix. I can still open and use the galley.

3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Woops looks like I forgot how to add the pics!
    Hmm? Back to Evans notes...

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks Pat. I will keep this in mind when it is windy and I open the galley. Was the hatch already open or were you in the process of opening it and the wind took it?

As far as the crack is concerned, I am sure you already thought about this but it does not interfere with its ability to hold the hatch up? Wouldn't want you to get hurt if it gave way.

5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Hi Joan,
    the hatch was closed and just as I raised it one of the Kansas mighty gusts hit. I had a hold of the handle on the hatch and just barely kept it from going all the way through the top of the wood. And I just shut it till we got home and when I opened it today I could see that it would stay up so maybe some kind of glue will be the fix.

So I guess the idea is to hang onto the hatch tightly in windy areas.

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

not sure what I did wrong but my pics from the ftp site do not work = I sent pics to Cary today to ask what we should do.

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Pat, you did everything right except for the last step.
    The link that you post needs to be an http:// - not an ftp:// link.
    I fixed it.

8. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Pat, I misunderstood. I thought the crack was in the arm and not the track. Of course if I read more carefully I would have known that. I am sure that Cary and/or Craig will be able to recommend a fix.

9. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Evan thank you - love seeing your avatar always smiling.

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Cary thinks I can wood glue it.

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Glad it's going to be an easy, inexpensive fix. It seems that would be a spot that normally doesn't require a ton of holding power - that it's more a less a guide at that point. I was thinking 'Gorilla Glue' when I first saw your pics.

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Ken is Gorilla glue clear? I do not want to use something that will show up everytime I open the galley - if I can avoid it. and yes it is more of a guide than weight holding which was a relief when I realized it.

13. Ken & Peggy

Pat, Gorilla Glue is not clear, but I'd go with whatever Cary suggested you use - a good wood glue. Any glue you use, just be sure to clean the excess right away with a damp cloth, so when it dries there'll be nothing visible. That had to be quite a wind gust...

14. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Ken it was a huge gust it smacked me right against the back of the tear and the fracturing wood was loud and scary. Thanks for the tip on the glue.

15. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Pat go with the glue Cary suggested he is always right. :)

16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Titebond III is my wood glue of choice. It's also non-toxic, it can be used with things coming into direct contact with food safely, such as cutting boards etc. it's also plenty strong....certainly stronger than the wood itself....

Gourilla glue is just nasty stuff...it's got it's uses, but thing that is ever visible.

17. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Sweeney thanks for the glue name. Suite Retreat is sitting in our garage until we surface from all the cold and snow and we are to get another 4 inches tomorrow -- so if it ever warms up we will get to glueing.

18. Ken & Peggy

Hopefully it stops snowing up your way by Mother's Day or so...
    We just got over 5" of rain last Thursday, causing rivers to break records for cresting all over the Midwest, resulting in major flooding of whole neighborhoods.
    I think I'd have rather seen snow - I think.

19. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

You all stay safe with all that hard weather.

Sue

20. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Pat,

I will second Sweeney's suggestion on the Titebond III. Good choice for this application.

Cary