Winter Storm 2018

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Little Patriot, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Be careful everyone in the path of this winter storm! Especially folks in the New England area.
    The winds are supposed to be hurricane force.

Jenn likes this.
  2. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

I support that sentiment!

Out here in Wisconsin it finally got up to about 15ish. The tire pressure light came on for car tires from being out in the cold for so long. Got that taken care of and the best news of all was that all the car windows finally thawed out enough to go down and back up!

Stay warm all!
    Jenn

Bear and Little Patriot like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Ranger

O...kay. I've got to ask since I've never owned a vehicle equipped with tire sensors. So why did the tire pressure light come on, Jenn? Don't the sensors take ambient temperature into consideration when evaluating tire pressure? ~BEAR

4. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

The ambient temperature has been SO cold, in the minus 30's for a very long time that the air inside the tires is shrinking. That's the only ways I can explain it.

It would be like blowing up an air mattress with the hot air from your lungs. Then it might sit for a couple of hours, the day cools down and the air inside the mattress shrinks and you need to put a little more air in it before you lay down on it.

The tire pressure guage is saying the tire pressure is low because the air has shrunk from what the tires are set for.

5. Bear

Bear Ranger

Interesting. I understand the physics of what you were explaining. I just wasn't aware that tire sensors were that sensitive. Thanks for the info.

6. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

The shop I went to, which is where I go for oil changes, so I trust them, and it was to fricking cold outside to do it myself, ...so the shop had a raft of folks in for the same issue. The employee said the tires were pretty low. They had so many people coming in for this that they had a tip jar out labeled for tire inflation services!
    Ive only had this happen once before. Even having spent many winters in this kind of cold.

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Had to inflate a friend's tires over the weekend. We were near Viroqua, WI where temps hit -14. Pressure dropped to about 26. We talked about checking them again once temps get closer to normal to see if they need to be bled...

Jenn likes this.
  8. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

Heh... your welcome. Rare I can info you on anything. I just dont know how to deal with that emotion! Whew!

9. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

A friend of mine, in Connecticut, posted videos from their 2nd floor of the wind and snow building up against a long run of wood fencing. Eventually the fence yielded to the wind and went over.

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Junior Ranger

I hear the winds are over and now just the cold.

11. Evan

Evan Administrator Staff Member

I’m at Union Station in D.C. No wind or snow - just c-c-cold.

12. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

Be warm Evan! Safe Journey.

Evan likes this.
  13. Little Patriot

We got 8+” here, which is a lot for our area. Friends further south to us received more.
    The 1st photo was taken hours before it stopped snowing; the 2nd photo was my friend’s endeavor to clear her sidewalk; the 3rd is her backyard.

Attached Files:

Jenn and Tour 931 like this.
  14. Warren  Mary Ellen

Warren Mary Ellen Junior Ranger

Just cold here in my part of SC. The snow hit the coast instead of the Upstate, but it is not been above 35 or so here for a week now. I don't remember that many days below 40 in a row here for the Highs happening too often here. Next week we get to 70 by the end of the week. SC, where you can get frost bite and sun burned in the same week this time of the year!

Jenn likes this.
  15. dustinp

dustinp Novice Donating Member

The morning we left MN for our annual trek to AZ it -18, and we felt lucky since it was -41 just 100 miles north of us, but are now feeling a little guilty as we enjoy the mid 70's down here in the southwest, but that will be short lived as we head back to our reality at home in MN all too soon.;)

16. Tour 931

Tour 931 Junior Ranger

I think the coldest I've ever been in was -35 although sometimes I say -25. I really can't remember. That -41 is too cold for my blood.

17. Ken & Peggy

I think my coldest is -27 with a wind chill in the -50's back in 1983. The old boiler in our first house quit on Christmas Eve. Peggy and the kids (ages 2 & 3) left for her mom & dad's place while my dad & I worked on the old monster. Got it running in time for Christmas.
    Funny thing - THIS Christmas Eve that 2 year olds boiler quit, and her 4 year old Max and I got it running! Another Christmas catastrophe averted...

Jenn likes this.
  18. Little Patriot

Ken, that is a coincidence! Sounds like it could be the beginning of a Christmas Hallmark story! ☺️

Jenn and Ken & Peggy like this.
  19. Ken & Peggy

Well I sure hope NOT! Although, It'd be nice to be around for the next one - I'd be 95...

Jenn likes this.
  20. Jenn

Jenn Junior Ranger

Ok, this will sound like old timers jawing around the pot belly stove at the general store, but I remember the winter of 1983. Yup. I was in the Chicagoland area. Had a new baby. It was brutal. I had never experienced cold like that.

I had an exchange with a friend recently about that same winter. I think this person was in Green Bay and said it was so cold the swells on Green Bay just froze solid as they rose up. Yup.

Current temps here in eastern Wisconsin have eased up a bit to the 20's. What a relief to go outside and just stand there for a bit. The birds and squirrels have surfaced. I wonder where they go when its so cold.

Ken & Peggy likes this.