Wisconsin Here We Come! Suggestions For Trip Back To Calif...

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Gonzo, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Newbie

Hello All,
    My name is Rick and we will be traveling straight to Wisconsin some time Mid September to pick up
    Loretta Our new 550 Ultra. The Camp Inn Team should be starting her build this week. We are so excited!!!
    To say the least.
    I was wondering if anyone could offer a few suggestions. We will only have about Six days to get back to Calif.
    I have always wanted to see New Mexico, Utah and Arizona. Looking for suggestion on routes, sites and campgrounds to cram into a Six day journey back. Campgrounds that have the most attractions around them for a night stay or possible two night stay.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rick and Tracy

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Well, here are a couple suggestions from our recent visits to the area.
    NM
    Black Canyon campground just outside Santa Fe - Facility Details - BLACK CANYON, NM - Recreation.gov
    2017-07-31_02-54-06.jpg

UT
    Zion NP
    Easily one of the best spots we've been. If you like to hike, there's Angels Landing, and The Narrows - a hike right up the Virgin River in a gorgeous canyon. And, there's talk of limiting the number of people allowed into the park in the near future...
    Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
    2017-07-31_02-51-56.jpg

Have a great trip, wherever you go!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. Gonzo

Gonzo Newbie

Thanks so mush Ken & Peggy

4. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I have 3 AZ recommendations, all being very close to interstates:
    • Dead Horse Ranch State Park near Cottonwood meets your criteria. It is very near Cottonwood, but doesn't feel like it. It is near a historic town Jerome which is pretty incredible, and two national monuments (Tuzigoot and Montezuma Castle, both native american pueblo ruins), it is near the interstate so it is good for a fast trip, and it is near the red rocks of Sedona. A lot to see in one or two days. This would be a good choice if you come across west to Flagstaff and then go south on the interstate.
    • The Chiricahua National Monument also might meet your criteria. There are two parts, one is the Apache winter home and one is the Apache summer home. It is where Cochise held off the US army. There are three pretty incredible attractions. One is the hiking in the Chiricahuas, the main monument. There is a three or four mile hike that almost anyone can do that is just incredible. It is at maybe 6000 or 7000 feet so it is a little cooler. The campground there has a LOT of shade - so much that it is a bit difficult to go there in the winter. I would not recommend going to the Cochise Stronghold, especially in September, as we have been reluctant to do the stream crossing with the Campinn that would be required. But if you camped at the main monument, you could drive your TV to the Stronghold, and do some very accessible hiking there. Another attraction in this area is the Kartchner Caverns. INCREDIBLE and huge caves that have been very well preserved. I think you could spend two days here. The general area is near Wilcox AZ, which would work best if you come down south through NM and cross over to AZ on 10 near the border.
    • My third recommendation that meets your criteria, I think, is Catalina State Park in Oro Valley just north of Tucson. There is some nice hiking there. You are very close to the Suguaro National Monument there (incredible), the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson (incredible) and perhaps you would be interested in the Biosphere which is just a bit north.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Newbie

Thank You Lorieandkeith!!!

6. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

In New Mexico, you might want to check out Bandelier National Monument, nicely situated between Santa Fe and Los Alamos. Many shaded campsites as well as more open ones, and ancient cliff ruins to explore. I posted more info here:

Diana

7. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

We have traveled to southern Utah several times. It has so much to offer and can't be covered in just one trip. Zion NP, Brice Canyon NP, Canyonlands NP, Arch Rock NP, Capital Reef NP, Kodachrome SP, Goblin Valley SP and I am sure I missed a few. Oh yeah, Monument Valley, UT/AZ border. In Nevada there is Valley of Fire SP east of Las Vegas if your are heading in that direction . All have great campgrounds or ones near by. So much to see in the south west, enjoy the ride.

Jim and Sue

AlCat likes this.
  8. Gonzo

Gonzo Newbie

Thanks Diana

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Newbie

Thanks Jim and Sue!!!