wood piece in kitchen. What is it?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by AlCat, Oct 8, 2011.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

OK, here's another newb question:
    in the kitchen I found a piece of wood, about 12 inches long. It's finished, so it clearly has a purpose.

What is it?

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Do you have the DC fridge? If so, is the wood piece angled? It is a spacer and is used to keep the fridge in place to insure airflow. CI calls it the hockey stick.

3. AlCat

that must be what it is

you position it between the wall and the radiator of the fridge?

4. jfocallag

Yes, I put it in the back right corner.

5. AlCat

thanks

6. AlCat

no, not L-shaped

7. AlCat

Does this work if you weap a towel around your fridge?

I was planning to take the suggestion to have the fridge sit on a towel, so you can pull the fridge out more easily by simply pulling the towel.

And that towel would "wrap" around the back of the fridge, likely blocking the vent....Not sure if this is a good idea. But maybe it works, provided you wedge the piece of wood back there??

8. jfocallag

If it is not 'L' shaped, then I don't know what the stick is. My spacer is 'L' shaped. Like I said, it goes in the right corner of the 'cooler' area and keeps the refrigerator vent away from the walls. I use an orange shamwow towel under my refrigerator. I make sure that the refrigerator is on the towel so that the sides won't block the vent. Works well.

You might want to ask Cary what the stick is. Maybe they changed the design of the spacer. If you take a picture and post it, that might help.

9. jfocallag

I could see where they may have changed the design. The plug keeps the refrigerator away from the right wall so all you really need is something to keep it away from the back wall.

10. AlCat

I'll take a photo and post.

Good idea!!

11. AlCat

it is to go on the "curb" side of the fridge

now I just need to figure out which side is the curb side...

12. jfocallag

Passenger side. :)

13. AlCat

thanks!

that must be the side the fridge vent is on.....(I am guessing)

14. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I think we all need to get together on our knees and play hockey! I love my little finished hockey stick!

15. AlCat

We just figured out something that is going to work well for us with our Nova Kool refrigerator. We added one of the handles to the right side of the frig (which is the heavier side). The frig still fits in the alcove, the handle protects the plug (making the wooden piece unnecessary), and the frig is now much easier to lift with the nice handle. We've even got a spare handle now! ;-)

-Cathy