Yakima Slimshady Awning Shelter

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by adrianneross, May 3, 2017.

1. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I was poking around on REI.com and I saw this:

Yakima SlimShady Awning Shelter

I see Inn42 has one attached to their tow vehicle - wonder how it would work on a Camp Inn with a roof rack? It would be a bit stoopy, but it looks like a pretty nice awning for the side doors. Hard to tell how it would fit on the 550's curved roof but it looks like it **might** accommodate a bit of a curve between towers?

ARB sells something similar (ARB Awning 2000 (814201)) but it looks like the Yakima might be a bit easier to attach to the roof rack (and easier to remove).

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  2. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We have an ARB awning, which is custom mounted to our tow vehicle. It appears both these awnings are primarily designed to attach to various basket racks provided by Yakima and others. As such, by the time you add towers, locks, crossbars and the basket, it might be high enough for a lot of users that they won't need to duck under it. But all that will add more than a few hundred dollars to the cost of the awing.

If you find our post about the awning, you will see that we used heavy gauge T-6 aluminum brackets to mount it, The curvature of the roof won't be a limiting factor, but it will likely add to the challenge. But you should consult with the factory as to whether there is enough wood up there to mount the awning to, and whether it can support the load. I wouldn't recommend mounting it on the camper, though it likely would be more useful there. You might also check to see if the smallest version is short enough not to interfere with the galley hatch.