#889 Is Now In Rochester Ny

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Rutger Puts, May 18, 2024.

1. Rutger Puts

Rutger Puts Novice

Hello,
    We bought this 2017 550 from Susan and Steve in Vermont in April last year. Very happy with it. Love the look and the build quality. Best of all, no more taking down the tent and setting up the kitchen! It attracts a lot of attention around here.
    We’ve taken it on 14 weekend trips last year. Upstate NY parks, Adirondacks and once to the Thousand Island region. There is much to explore here. Best of all is to take it into NY Finger Lakes wine country, there are 130 wineries within a 2h drive from here plus many breweries and distilleries sprinkled in!
    We’ve been through much of the forum. This resource was definitely a contributing factor in the purchase decision.
    We’re getting ready for a big trip to Colorado this summer. Will start to post some mods and questions soon.
    Kelly and Rutger

2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Sounds like it's been a good decision already...the rest is just gravy.

Jenn likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Welcome to the fun! If you purchased from the factory, you would have gotten about a 6 hour presentation going over every nook and cranny. I'm sure many of us here will be anxious to help you if there are any questions you may have that aren't answered already.

14 trips in a year? Thats how you do it!!!!

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah and Jenn like this.
  4. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Orientation was 7 hours or until Cary loses his Voice!!

Congratulations. We just picked up our 560 1108 and the first trip is this weekend

Our long haul will be in September to Southern California

Welcome to the Party

5. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Kelly and Ruger - Linda and I are originally from Rochester. We miss Zwigles White Hots, Don and Bobs, and the famous garbage plate at Nick Tahoe's. We both grew up with family spots on the finger lakes. Glad you have joined the CI family. We moved to the West Coast after college - most people don't realize how big NY is. The Adirondack State Park is 6 million acres (bigger than Grand Canyon and Yellowstone combined).

We are in Colorado right now - drove out from Seattle to visit our grandkids. Spent some time in Montana and South Dakota on the way - don't forget to consider the Badlands, Wind Cave, Mt Rushmore as possibilities on the way out.

Have fun.

Dave and Linda

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've never been there, but just based on the names of the local hot spots it makes me want to visit :) I am passionate about finding small businesses --- they are the heart of this country that is being stepped on by large multinationals, and that is very much a shame...

Its on my bucket list --- but I'm told that that part of the country is 'difficult' for camper & RVers? Or is that moreso for the 'big guys'

7. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Don't forget Wegman's!

8. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

I grew up in Rochester too, near 12 Corners and went to Brighton high school.

9. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

My wife is Brighton High School class of 1984 and was within walking distance of 12 corners!

Chuckwagon likes this.
  10. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Fun! I was class of 1977. Your wife might have known my younger brothers. My last name is Fortner.

11. Rutger Puts

Rutger Puts Novice

The NY State Parks are very easy in general and certainly with a Campinn. But we generally try to stay away from the big RV rigs so we dont do spots w hookups. We hate the generators that run all day for the rest of the campground to “enjoy” while the owners are away. But that’s a general camping issue everywhere.
    This weekend we stayed at Cranberry Lake SP. Absolutely wonderful. Spots are quite separated and a lot are on the lake. Its a very remote area in the Adirondacks.
    RE good places to eat with great names here: Sticky Lips, excellent BBQ. Some people prefer the Dinosaur BBQ.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  12. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Yes - I forgot Wegmans - an amazing family-owned business story for sure and an amazing shopping experience. I'm a 1971 Gates-Chili grad and Linda is "Miss Eastridge" -1971. I went to college in Potsdam for a few years - awesome country.

Anyone remember a Campi's "Bomber"?

Would love to take the TD into the Adirondacks except for the 3000 mile trip to get there. I-90 would get me all the way there.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  13. RJ Meyers

RJ Meyers Newbie

Hi guys Gates Chili class of 84 here! Don’t forget Country Sweet wings. We are now living in Ridgefield Washington and miss all the old haunts you guys mentioned, especially Wegmans. Joined the forum due to sprinter van conversion frustrations maybe downsizing to the teardrop and so far the camp inn 560 Ultra SUV is the leading contender. If you make it out this far, there are so many wonderful spots - just got back from fly fishing the Metolius River near Camp Sherman. One of the cleanest rivers in the country.

14. Ken & Peggy and RJ Meyers like this.
  15. Rutger Puts

Rutger Puts Novice

Wegmans is still the king of grocery stores around here. Really good but they know it and their prices are sky-high. Will check out the Country Sweet Wings this week.
    We’ve tent-camped in the Olympic NP twice but would love to see more of Washington State. looks beautiful.