AlCat's Camping Journal

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by AlCat, Jun 19, 2012.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

TD Camping Trips, thus far
    (all California, unless noted...and there are none, so far)

San Francisco RV Resort (Pacifica)
    Big Sur River Campground
    Bodega Bay, Wright’s Beach
    Costanoa (Pescadero)
    Pinnacles National Monument
    El Capitan State Beach
    Montana De Oro State Park
    Morro Bay State Park
    San Simeon State Park
    Bodega Dunes State Park

-AlCat

Tour 931 likes this.
  2. AlCat

that would require me to figure out HOW to do that.....

:)

I would like to, but just haven't found the time.

-Al

3. AlCat

yep

but I do like the trip reports!!

4. AlCat

just spent a few nights at Hendy Woods, in Mendocino County, California

high point? (other than spending the weekend with my wife and both daughters) Seeing a northern spotted owl! VERY close. Awesome.

the superb barrel tasting event was a distant second

and the fantastic redwood groves, a close third

the mushroom ice cream in Mendocino? I love it, but it's in 4th place

:)

-Al

5. AlCat

+ two nights at Big Basin State Park, SF Bay Area, Calif.

6. AlCat

+ two nights at Half Moon Bay State Beach Campground (California)

7. AlCat

+2 nights at Half Moon Bay State Beach Campground (Cali)

8. AlCat

just got back from two weeks in southern Utah. Will post a full trip report soon, but I highly recommend this area, especially this time of year before it gets too hot. We hiked every day and saw beautiful places.

Carizzo Plain
    Red Rock (Vegas)
    Zion
    Escalante
    Kodachrome
    Coyote Buttes (Vermillion Cliffs/Stateline Campground)

Our TD worked great; our solar panel worked great - GREAT trip.

-Al

9. AlCat

ps We ran into ONE other TD (CampInn) while on the road (in Kodachrome just a few days ago), but their campsite was quiet when we were awake, and we had to leave before saying "hello"

-Al

10. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Zion is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

11. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We camped in Zion back in 1984 when we had only 2 children. Camped right alongside the Virgin river - what a great place.

12. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kewl, I'm heading out there in 3 days.. Thursday...
    Meeting a friend out there, Cedar City, KOA...

I know, I know, KOA, but it looked like the best one for the area and since BKTs haven't started yet, should be ok...

Spending 8 days there still amazed on all the stuff to do/go. Not hiking nor mt biking (friend limited on walking) but looking forward to checking out the places for next time.

Hopefully won't be too hot or buggie and kids still in school, like they should be... ;-P

Got my 2 Yeti coolers today, so "Loaded and tied, Ready to Ride"

fun...

13. AlCat

I like what Yeti has to offer, but keep in mind that Utah is not a vast wilderness devoid of ice. Yet we did experience a little ice shortage while we were there. No crushed ice because "it has to come all the way from Cedar City"....

So I am guessing you will not have ice issues in Cedar City, the apparent ice-making capital of Utah. :)

Why go to Utah if you can't hike or bike? :)

Have a great trip. I'm ready to go back!! (as soon as these blisters heal....)

-Al

14. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Hi, Frank. If for some reason the Cedar City KOA doesn't work out for you, check out the KOA in Panquitch. It's on Hwy 89, We stayed there last August. Pretty close to town, where we ate at a great BBQ place. The owners are from the Mt. Vernon/Sedro Wooley area. We drove to Bryce one day and to Zion the other.

Enjoy your trip; the Utah NPs are amazing.

Kathy

15. fpoole

Thanks both, I am looking forward to it... as it's a 1st "Long Trip" out of the PNW. Should have everything covered but this will be a shake down for all the rest of the planned trips..

Not hiking/biking as my friend is limited in getting about. More like an "old Folks" walk or so.. not trying to do the whole state in one day obviously, but to get a feel for it.. probably more driving around to the 4-5 different locations to get a feel for it. I want to do the Jeep caravan, looks like fun. Other than that it's pretty open.

Staying at the KOA in Cedar as I didn't see anything else that came close with all the benefits and I thought? heheh, big mistake it would still be centrally located. It's booked for the full 8 days, then I return through Winnemucca, Bend, to Richland and will be booking the park there, the nice one I've stayed at several times, forget the name right now,but right on the river. Two of them within 5 miles?? then home...

It'll be fun just to get out and see all the stuff I'll need to get come back to for Mtn Biking etc...

fun and I'll look up that BBQ, THAT I CAN do.. heheh...

thanks...

Assuming this is it:
    The Cowboy's Smokehouse Café is located near Bryce Canyon in downtown Panguitch Utah. The Cowboy's Smokehouse serves up real mesquite barbecue. Our special seasoning, cooking process, and homemade barbecue sauce make for a real unique flavor. Our menu offers a variety of choices of smoked meats including chicken, ribs, turkey, beef, steaks, all menu items are served up with our homemade baked beans, or ranch style pinto beans. We also offer a children's menu. Come join us for the nightly entertainment.

Film at 11...

16. AlCat

and don't forget the "national monuments" - some wonderful country. The road between Escalante and Boulder is AWESOME. I also recommend the Burr Trail, even in a 2wd car.
    Zion is easy for the non-walker, as they shuttle system is great and you can still SEE stuff without much walking. Same with Bryce, as long as you are willing to view from the rim. Bring some binoculuars so you can get an upclose view of a HooDoo or two.

I highly recommend Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder.

and the crappy burger place in Escalante is actually pretty good ("Nemo's"), AND they have ice cream.

The restaurant near Hell's Backbone is also good (I think it has Burr Trail in it's name), but the thrid restaurant (actually down the Burr Trail about 100 yards is just fair, though they did have a Chile Verde that was very good, AND they stayed open after closing to serve us, which was HUGE as there is no other alternative in town or anywhere nearby).

I don't know if I would do the Burr Trail Muley Twist switchbacks in a 2wd vehicle. Not saying not to. Just that I don't recall how it is, as we did not do it this trip.

State Highway 12 is fantastic.

ENJOY!!

17. fpoole

Heheh... Over-load, Over-load... LOL...

Great.
    I have 4wd but was thinking along the lines of a jeep tour or double ATV, side-by-side tour...
    Sigh, so many places, so little time..

Will copy/pasted the above info, thanks much...

Went tohttp://utah.com/offroad/
    for ideas...

thanks much...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  18. AlCat

That would be fun to do!! Wish I'd thought of it.

Highway 12 is a paved road. No worries on that.

Burr Trail is paved for a large stretch, from west to east. It turns to dirt at some point, but am sure you could drive it all, even the switchbacks.

We did many dirt roads in our AWD Volvo XC90, and had ZERO issues.

Kodachrome (near Bryce) is a nice (state) park and has sites to see that you can drive to. And they have an easy nature trail that leads to much nice stuff. VERY quiet for camping. I found myself whispering in our camp, and it was before sunset!!

Best,

Al

19. AlCat

20. AlCat

+2 nights at Big Basin State Park (January)
    +3 nights at Memorial County Park, San Mateo, CA (February)