Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Evan, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Here are a few photos of the backup camera that I had installed in my trailer. I figured it if saved my even once from backing into something it would be well worth it.

Even though I try to have my wife assist me while backing up, it has still turned out to be very useful so far.
    I had the camera shipped to Cary very early on in my build and let him decide where it could best be mounted.
    [​IMG]

You can see that the cupboard lost a little bit of space to give the camera room. Hardly anything that you would miss though.
    [​IMG]

Craig or Cary found a local supplier who provided the military grade external RCA cable and jack for the video signal.
    [​IMG]

I wasn't so lucky when I had the other end of the cable added to my tow vehicle by Car Toys - their job is several steps below military grade (note the electrical tape). My Honda CR-V had a factory nav system with back-up cam already, and the Car Toys installer split the back-up cam input and added a switch near the console to select between cameras. However, he neglected to test it when he was done, so when I did a month later there was no video signal from the new jack. I went back to Car Toys and found that the installer had moved to a new city, and nobody else wanted to touch the job. It took a bit of persuading and sleuthing to track down the original installer for help, and then force the local guys to follow his instructions to correct the problem.

Of course, until we actually picked up our trailer we didn't know if the whole system would work. I was a bit disappointed when we finally hooked it up and the image was up-side-down. But Cary easily corrected this by turning the camera (green arrow pointing up).

[​IMG]

So, in the end, I think it was worth it (all the trouble was with my tow vehicle - not with the trailer).
    With the built-in Honda camera, I can see my hitch and so can hookup to the trailer by myself. Once hooked up, I can flip the camera switch and see behind the trailer.

RollingRob likes this.
  2. Travelguy

Travelguy Novice

This is a great Idea... backing up one of these little tears is a lot more entailed then backing a big trailer. I have been lucky so far and backed up more time's in the dark then I would have liked to. On the plus side can back up my friends bigger trailers far better then they can. I like the idea of the split between the back of the truck and the trailer.

Todd

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Pat Walsh asked me for information on adding a backup camera to a tear. I would not be surprised if other people have done this using a wireless camera. The trouble with my setup is that we have since switched tow vehicles and I have not had the new TV wired for the trailer's camera. A wireless camera option would probably solve this problem.

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Evan thank you.
    I will see if any one else has some experience. Ideally I would like a camera that would be Bluetooth compatible with my iPad.

5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Anybody use a backup camera?

6. TroutBum

TroutBum Novice

Bump - and a thread jack ?

Has anyone installed a license plate mounted backup camera? There appear to be a number of options for wireless, waterproof RV Digital backup cameras on Amazon these days for $100 with some pretty respectable options.

I found THIS one which has a wireless viewing screen, with 12v port and switch (so you dont have to plug/unplug), and a wireless transmitter that's supposed to have great range. I was thinking of mounting the James Bond transmitter just under the body.

??? where to tap into the backup / reverse lights ??? The manual says it's yellow wire off wiring harness.
    Assuming they're 12v, I just need to tap into ONE wire anywhere in that circuit to enable the camera and transmitter ONLY when backing up.

Anyone have experience, or recommend a way to get to them?

7. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Our TD doesn't have the back-up light option, so I installed the back up camera on the license plate holder, and tapped into the taillight circuit. The downside is that both the camera and wi-fi transmitter are powered up whenever the lights are on. The upside is, if you want, you can watch what's behind you while driving by just turning your running lights on (you don't need to go into reverse to activate the camera).
    Another downside of using the wireless wi-fi type system is, there is a small lag time from the camera to your phones app that you use as the monitor, so you need to back up slowly, and/or stop to let the monitor catch up with the camera.
    I ran a power wire for the wi-fi transmitter up into the curb side upper cubby using the same CI wire route in the right upper side of the galley under the hatch. With the transmitter high up in the cabin there isn't much to interfere with the wi-fi signal being transmitted through the front TD windows through the rear TV window to your phone, and it's protected from the elements.
    Here is what I put in 3 years ago: Amazon.com: Esky EC170-06 HD Color CCD Waterproof Car Rear View Backup Camera, 0.86X0.65X0.50-inch: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Amazon.com: WishRing Wifi Car Backup Camera Realtime Video Transmitter for iPhone X Android SAMSUNG LG Motorola HUAWEI HTC 903W: Cell Phones & Accessories
    It's worth reading the reviews to see the pros & cons of a wi-fi type system vs a hardwired system with dedicated screen....like most decisions, there is no perfect answer, any way you go is a compromise of some sort.
    My 2cents worth YMMV.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  8. TroutBum

TroutBum Novice

Thanks! I spent a few hours the other day getting mine installed.

I couldn't get enough current off the license plate or reverse lights. Not sure why.
    I have to figure out what's up with the wiring harness / ground - hopefully that will fix it.

For the time being, I just hard wired it (I can plug/unplug from the galley).
    It's inconvenient, but it is secured.

Also, mine came with a screen that just plugs in and pairs with the camera/transmitter.
    It works, even with the transmitter buried in a storage compartment in the galley.

9. RollingRob

RollingRob Junior Ranger

I have this on my truck and it has worked well for me. Pearl - No New Car Requiredand it is solar powered so it recharges itself every time it is out and about with available sunlight. Should the battery get low due to a garaged vehicle for a while, the frame comes off easily with the special included tool and connects via USB for recharging. It does require use of the vehicles OBD port because it creates its own wireless wifi network connection and uses Bluetooth as well. With the use of an App, it turns your phone into the backup screen. It's pricey (but you can find bargains second hand) and lots of other technology has evolved since this came out a few years back so there are many options out there. Just wanted to make you aware this has worked well for me to date, I can see that this could be attached to the TD as one option, I can easily swap it from my real license plate on my truck and experiment over to my TD and will let you know how it works out.

10. dustinp

**Update on 05/27/19** I went out to the hangar to start getting the TD ready for summer shortly after my earlier post. I hooked up the TV to the TD and checked all the lights etc. as well as the rear view camera, which I found to not be working. After checking connections, and trying to uninstall, and reinstall the app on my phone, and re-pairing to the wi-fi module, I still had no picture, just a black screen. I decided to try replacing the wi-fi module with a wireless transmitter and dedicated monitor: Amazon.com: Boyo VTX3600 3.6-Inch Wireless Monitor and Transmit: Car Electronics. (found on eBay for a little less).

It arrived last Friday, so I went out and was able to just replace the wi-fi transmitter with the new (non wi-fi / blue tooth ) transmitter, which had the monitor already paired to the transmitter from the factory. The monitor is small enough to store in the TV console, and just take out and plug into cigarette style power socket when needed. It was about a 10 minute exchange using the wires already coming from the existing camera, and worked nicely immediately on power up. That was a relief, since replacing the camera would have been a little more work, but I was prepared to that too if necessary, since the back-up view is definitely worth having. The monitor comes with a suction cup mount, but I found it fit in my cell phone mount nicely ifI turn the mount sideways : Amazon.com: Harvardbasic Updated Cell Phone Holder for Car, Universal Smartphone Car Air Vent Mount Holder: Cell Phones & Accessories so will use that instead.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  11. dustinp

Took a few pics today to show others what the new camera monitor looks like in use. IMG_20190528_153544387_HDR.jpg IMG_20190528_153523409.jpg

Attached Files:

12. TroutBum

TroutBum Novice

I have a similar setup, and very much appreciate the simplicity of just plugging it in!
    +1 for remote screen

P.s. the seller from Amazon contacted me to ask about product function. Without requesting any type of review, he also offered me a 2nd one, no charge.

‘Who am I to blow against the wind?’

MorrisonS and Van_and_Terri like this.
  13. MorrisonS

MorrisonS Newbie

Very nice customer service.
    I have a similar experience, too. I am so happy to do business with those nice sellers.
    This is my backup camera, I like this products and thier service.
    [​IMG]