Beeswax on New Lodge DO

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by williamaringmeyer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dear George

Any thing wrong with adding a coat of beeswax to a new already seasoned DO from Lodge?

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

You can do that without any problems. I've also read that some people clean even the 'pre-seasoned' Lodges first. I think you'd be fine to just go ahead and season it with the beeswax without the pre-clean.
    I've only seasoned a couple skillets with beeswax - I use Crisco - but this is my process...
    I'd give it a good rinsing with soap-less water, dry it good with paper towel, put it in the oven upside down, heat it to 250 and leave it at that temp for about 20 mins. Then turn up the heat to 450 with it still in the oven. Once it hits 450, carefully take it out and apply the beeswax. Then wipe as much of it off as you possibly can and put it back in the oven for about an hour. Let it cool in the oven. To put another coat on it, repeat the reheat to 450, etc.
    Have fun!

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I recomend adding seasoning to any of the off the shelf Cast Iron. Definately give it a good washing with a stiff nylon brush, and rinse. NO DETERGENTS!

Bee wax is applied as with any of the oils or shortnings.
    The 2 keys are, not to over apply (many light coats), and have your oven source at 400 deg up to about 450. I wouldn't go hotter, due to inaccuracies of the temp control of the ovens.

On the new iron, I would put on at least 2 coats.

I hope this helps, and enjoy.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Tell ya, this method is the bees knees. I started using beeswax and will never go back to crisco. I was happy with crisco, but now I case my eggs berter than I ever have...at least as good as the non stick works in the TV commercials :)

5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Finally got some true to heaven pure beeswax. Now for the fun.

Sue

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Oooooo! Those pans and pots are soooo nice and black! Made salmon cakes tonight and not a one stuck. Love it, love it!

Sue

7. Ken & Peggy

There is something special about a well-seasoned piece of cast iron, isn't there?

8. Oysterpot

For those of you not familiar with cast iron seasoning.....
    Once you have your piece seasoned, it is the easiest thing to do "touch up" seasoning. Unless you have cooked an extremely acidic food, that filled up the pan, very rarely do you have to reaseason the whole pot or pan. To "touch up season, just use the stove top burner, and apply the seasoning material lightly, but only coat the bottom, and maybe 1/2 inch up the side. Heat the pan gently on the burner, untill it stops smoking or is very lightly smoking. At this time you can take your soaked applicator cloth and wipe some more seasoning material on the bottom.
    This is reffered as a "Florida Seasoning". Better if you do it outside or with the ventilation fan on.

g

9. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Not to sound stupid and I get the Crisco thing (it's soft)...but, is bee's wax softened or melted before applying to the CI or do you just cut off a chunk from the brick and rub it on the hot pan?

AJ

10. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Also, FYI, I'm using Bees Wax for my chopping blocks, comes in a heavy cream... not sure I like the end result, mineral oil seems to bring out the look of it a little better. Bees wax seems to dull the wood a little, sort of a satin finish...

On the cream, just spread it around, set for 24-hrs and wipe away the excess... or so the instruction say..

11. Ken & Peggy

Yep, just cut some off and carefully spread it around. I'd start with a small chunk to be sure you don't wind up with too much - you can always add a bit more...

12. Oysterpot

AJ, one would warm up the piece to be seasoned, and melt a little in the pan, then wipe the puddle around the surface with a lint free cloth. There should NOT be any puddles, or runs when you a done wiping. The surface will looked just lightly coated. This is what you then smoke off at 400+ deg.

13. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

George & Ken thanks for the info...haven't been on the forum for a while and just saw your responses.

AJ

14. Hey everyone,

I have a Lodge #14 Skillet, that I don't normally use due to the size ( Tooo Cumbersome & Heavy ) . My stepdad gave it to me ( 20 yrs ago ) & I keep it stored inside a closet ( Sentimental Value ). I pulled it out today & noticed lots of surface rust.

So, I decided to tryout the " Beeswax Seasoning Method ".
    [​IMG]
    Light Surface Rust.

[​IMG]
    Scrubbed with Hot water & 3M Scouring Pad.

[​IMG]
    Set on stove burner to heat & rub in Beeswax, then wiped with folded napkin, for a light even coat.

[​IMG]
    Placed in oven & baked for approx 1 hour @ 500 degrees.

[​IMG]
    Second coating of Beeswax coating, and back to the oven for baking.

After second baking & approx 1 hour later. I polished it with the remaining waxed napkin, followed by final wiping with a clean napkin.
    [​IMG]

I would have done a third baking, but my wife kept complaining of the smoke inside the house ( She's Asthmatic ).

Thanks " GEORGE " !

L.M.

RollingRob likes this.
  15. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

Looks good--nice job. I think you're gonna love using it too.

Regards, T

PS--for your 3rd (4th or 5th) coat, use an outdoor grill.

RollingRob likes this.
  16. Ken & Peggy

Looks good!

17. Oysterpot

I have moved my seasoning operations to a propane grill outside.
    I also try to maintain 400 deg. Hotter than that you are in jeopardy of burning your seasoning (all of it) off. Accuracy of stove thermometers is suspect.

BTW your skillet looks good. Now grab a pound of bacon and under a low heat, or even some potatoes, or even some pancakes, cook em up. You will then be "seasoning your pan with some flavor or flavors. If you have to invite friends and neighbors to help et the food. You will be hooked I am sure.

g

18. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

But if I only cook one pound of bacon, what will the friends and neighbors et?

19. Just an additional " FYI ":
    I posted my results on another forum.. An individual responded with a comment, which I didn't fully understand...?

He requested that " I " try frying an egg on my " Beewax Skillet ".

So, I responded & " Fried " an Egg. The below info & photos, are the results I posted on " Camp-Cook.Com ".

" OKAY

I'm not sure what method most folks use, to fry an Egg .. ?

[​IMG]
    1. Floating an egg, in Bacon fat ?

Or

2. Pan Fried, by coating the Skillet with a bit of " Oil / Butter / Pam ".

So, I decided on what I normally do, ..which is to spray on a bit of " PAM ".

[​IMG]
    Here's the Skillet warming up, notice the shiny center ? It's the residual " Beeeswax " coating.

[​IMG]
    I spray on a light coat & normally drop an egg, ..but not this time.

[​IMG]
    The Skillet is wiped off with a folded napkin, to remove any excess " Pam ".

[​IMG]
    Egg, next to used paper napkin.

[​IMG]
    Skillet was warmed up, med temp ( 5 on my electric burner ) & Egg dropped inside center of Skillet.

[​IMG]
    I moved the egg around to see if it would stick ...?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Fried Egg, Sunny Side up.

Or.
    [​IMG]
    Fried on both sides.
    [​IMG]

HMMM, I'm impressed . "
    http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6259

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    RollingRob likes this.
  20. Hey George,

I started @ 400, and moved it up ( 450 / 500 ) to get it seasoning faster, without burning it off, as my wife was really getting on my last nerve.

Much to my surprise, it turned out pretty nice .. I also suspect the oven Accuracy temp are off ( Temp Gauge Knob vs Actual Oven Temps ).

Thanks

RollingRob likes this.