Beeswax on New Lodge DO

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by williamaringmeyer, Mar 5, 2013.

1. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I don't know how the bumpy new skillets work or how they clean. I do know that when I tried to season my new griddle the paper towel hung up on the bumps, and left a lot of residue on the griddle. I tried sanding it but haven't gotten it completely smooth yet. It is really hard material and doesn't sand very quickly even with 80 grit. I'm wondering if sand blasting would work. My son in law has a hand held grinder that takes flexible disks that I'm going to try next.
    Good Will and second hand stores are the best place to get cast iron. They are becoming very popular so harder to find and the price is going up.

2. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have two large skillets handed down to me, but I wanted something smaller for the teardrop. I admit I bought the new one because of its patriotic motif on the bottom...found it at Cracker Barrel. It's a Lodge and made in the USA. Didn't think I could go too wrong. I did check the surface of the skillet, but Cracker Barrel has pretty dim lighting. Imagine my suprise when I got it home and saw it in natural light! My thinking is that no amount of preseasoning is going to keep an egg from sticking to this skillet.
    The challenge is on........Pat, thanks for the inspiration. Sherry, smooth as glass, huh? Well, you've set my goal. :) Let the fun begin!

3. pbaker2225

It would be good to hear from some of the new lodge owners who are using these bumpy surface versions. Maybe we worry needlessly. Yesterday my friend gave me a 9 1/2 x 18 x 4 1/2 inch deep very heavy cast iron pan with lid. I have never seen a rectangular one this size. It is like a rectangular dutch oven. i think the lid of this one could be used as a griddle. She has had it for many years but it is the newer version bumpy surface. They just seem defective to me. I hope we get some comments from current users.

4. Little Patriot

Pat,
    I found a YouTube video showing how to sand the skillet with minor imperfections.

http://youtu.be/b35hX795Vkk.

He recommends wiping off the residue with #00 steel wool and vinegar, clean with soap and water, and season immediately afterward.
    Looks like this might work.

Just watched the video that addresses the bumpy finish on new cast iron. The guy who made the video didn't seem concerned about the rough finish.

http://youtu.be/WwRNOBKRP0o

I prefer the smooth finish and will try for that. I'm also going to use the beeswax per George's instructions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

George! Good to hear from ya, buddy old pal of mine! Thanks for your ever wonderful wisdom on cleaning and restoring old cast iron. The pans are gorgeous now. Nice and black and slick.

I like to make my first dish in a new (old) pan a stack of super sized pancakes. That constant re-oiling after each pancake leaves a fantastic surface.

So what's with the new Lodge pans being bumpy? Is anything made with quality and pride of workmanship anymore?

Sue

6. Little Patriot

So what's with the new Lodge pans being bumpy? Is anything made with quality and pride of workmanship anymore?

Sue[/quote]

Yes, Sue, there is!!! It's a Camp Inn 550 or 560!!! :)

7. pbaker2225

I just watched the video and the guy says the surface is bumpy so the preseasoning stuff they put on at the factory will stick. I didn't try to cook on my griddle yet and have done a lot of sanding on it but not completely smooth. I did season it to keep it from rusting so maybe I should fry up some bacon. I haven't seen any comments by owners about them sticking or anything. It sure grinds up the paper towel when you are wiping on oil though.

8. Jim and Sue L.

Deb and Kyle, AMEN! Camp Inn is the best...

But I'm not sure about the latest from the cast iron world. Best stick to garage sales and salvaging the golden oldies.

Sue

9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Lodge's are still a quality piece. They don't have the smooth finish like the old Griswold's or Wagner's, but they are a fine brand. The newer ones do come pre-seasoned, and you can use them 'right out of the box', but I'd add a few coats of your preferred seasoning to make them almost Teflon-like. The more they get used, the less they tear up the paper towels ;)

10. Little Patriot

Thanks, Ken.
    I'll most likely try to sand the new skillet though. I still need to get the correct wire wheel; the one we have is brass and too soft to do the job. I'll try and post before and after pictures.

Deb

11. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Again I have been away from site for some time. So I will now get up to date and express some "opinions"

1. Lodge pans are and if properly taken care of "non stick". I love to demonstrate the slippery egg.
    The rough surface of a new pan is not an issue.

2. The new pans from Lodge have an excellent factory seasoning, but I do add a couple applications of the Beeswax to give it some depth.

3. rust removal, or complete cleaning, I honestly have not had to do. Ken has the most experience there. A friend of mine has had excellent experience doing a lye bath on some family hand me downs.

4. Other than the old Griswold, or Wagner, the ONLY brands of cast iron cookware I would purchase new would be from Lodge(preferably) or Camp chef. All others are foreign made from who knows where, definitely questionable metallurgy.

12. Jim and Sue L.

Hello, George! Glad you're back on.

I agree; Griswold, Wagner and Lodge are your best bets for quality cast iron. I wasn't so sure about the new Lodge product, but if you say it's good, then good it is.

Don't let this go to your head.... If you show up to CICO, our usual "friendly" banter is still on. En garde!

Sue

13. pbaker2225

My old friend came up with a cast iron pan her mom had bought for her. It is a new one with the bumpy surface. It is 18" X 9.5 X 4.25 inches deep. I guess it is a rectangular dutch oven. Weighs a ton. I don't know when I will ever cook enough at one time to use it.
    I cleaned up an old skillet with vinegar. Took a lot of soaking as it was very rusty and black crust inside and out. I stopped when I got enough off to realize that the inside bottom has been badly gouged. It took a lot of days of soaking but each layer of gunk came off easily and then back into the bath for another couple of days soaking.

14. Little Patriot

If the surface of the new Lodge is not an issue, then I won't worry about sanding it down. I'll follow through with the Beeswax as George said.

15. Jim and Sue L.

Just used my CICO bees wax on a dutch oven. Smoked up the house like nobody's business, but the DO is deep black. I'll be trying it out real soon.

And yes, it's a Lodge. Old as all get out with a smooth as glass surface. They're awfully good CIs.

Sue

16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Pictures would be nice. Let's see that old beauty!

17. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

18. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

If you're in the market for a pie iron and you're willing to spend a bit more for USA-made, check out the ones C. Palmer makes:

http://www.cpalmermfg.com/products/Cast-Iron-Sandwich-Toaster--Made-in-USA!-$29.95.html

They're unseasoned, but the casting is pretty good - I would say not as smooth as Wagner/Griswold, but smoother than new Lodge.

I couldn't figure out how to get the handles off, so I just heated it up on my gas stove over a med/low flame. I took a chunk of beeswax and spread it all over the surface, like a melty crayon, inside and out - it was a bit tricky to maneuver because this pie iron doesn't separate at the hinges. And it made a bit of a mess as the excess wax dripped off, but it smelled nice and it wasn't difficult to scrape it off the stove-top when it cooled down. Anyway, when the surface was thoroughly covered with wax, I closed the pie iron and heated it over the stove for a few turns until the honey smell seemed to dissipate - or maybe I got bored.

Probably not the best job, but hopefully, the seasoning was sufficiently "baked-on" to keep the outside from rusting. I figure I can always do another coat, if necessary. I wasn't as worried about the inside because the pudgy pies always use a lot of butter on the bread and should self-season. Wait, is that why they're called "pudgy" pies? All that butter?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  19. Jim and Sue L.

Oh, heck I can' figure out how to post a pic. Did it once many moons ago via photo bucket - had my computer genius son, James, leaning over my shoulder the whole time and I still muffed up.

James thought it was hysterical.

Camp (and cook) On

Sue