Best Camping In Your State

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by mariusz, Mar 29, 2018.

1. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

With so many camping spots out there, what is your favorite in State. For new York State my vote goes to Fish Creek Pond State campground. What's yours.

Lynne & Scott likes this.
  2. StewUtah

StewUtah Novice

SO many choices in Utah!! We are going down to the Torrey / Capital Reef area Monday, then to Kodachrome Basin for another night Tuesday.... excited to get our new (to us) CI out!

3. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

Maine; South Arm Campground, Andover. In the Rangley Lakes area of NW Maine. As long as you have a kayak or some sort of boat.

4. Greg & Shelly

Greg & Shelly Novice Donating Member

Lots of choices in Minnesota. I'm partial anything on the North Shore of Lake Superior and Jay Cooke State Park.

Lynne & Scott and dustinp like this.
  5. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

In Maryland - Assateague Island for beautiful beaches and Green Ridge State Forest for solitude (my preference).

Lynne & Scott and Tom & Diana P like this.
  6. South Carolina - Keowee-Toxaway State Park. Small campground w/ 10 sites. At the base of the SC Blue Ridge Mountains and near all types of outdoor opportunities. On Lake Keowee and near Lake Jocassee.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. Loved Fruita Campground at Capital Reef NP when we were there two years ago. One of our favorites anywhere.

8. emptynesters

emptynesters Newbie

We like Lake Sherando and or any of the parks on Skyline Drive. Pocahontas State Park is nice if you are visiting Richmond Va and Prince William Forest Park is nice if you are visiting the Civil War battlefields in Manassas Va or visiting Washington DC.

9. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Texas should really be considered in several regions. For East Texas, I love Martin Dies, Jr., State Park. It's got the Piney Woods and Big Thicket (nearby), sloughs and the lake (reservoir) for boating and fishing, nice hiking, and lots of birds and wildlife (alligators!) to watch. In Far West Texas, there's not much that can beat the Dog Canyon campground of Guadalupe Mountain Nat'l Park: remote, uncrowded, beautiful hiking, both desert and alpine flora, fauna that includes apex predators, and did I say remote?

Diana

mariusz likes this.
  10. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

In The Black Hills of SD my favorite camping spot is Cement Ridge. Drive down Spearfish Canyon Road (about a 13 mike drive from soearfish) then take the road to Savoy (behind Spearfish Canyon Lodge), follow the gravel road - make sure you watch for signs for cement ridge (at a Y in the road you’ll go left). Although you don’t need 4wd to get to cement ridge know that the road is more “a path” and you will want to go slow. Cement Ridge has a manned fire tower. You’ll want to climb up and visit with the forest ranger (wealth of knowledge) and then boondock anywhere along the extensive ridge (it’s actually the Wyoming side of black hills-so you are allowed to create a fire pit anywhere). At an elevation of 6,474 ft you will have a view of SD, Wyoming and ND. Stunningly beautiful, serene and one of my favorite places anywhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  11. Henry

Henry Novice

That sounds like a place that I will have to visit.

12. Lynne & Scott

If you do, reach out to me for detailed directions - the view is worth the drive ;)

13. Henry

Henry Novice

What is the earliest in the year that you would recommend going?

14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We really enjoy Salt Springs in Central Florida. It’s a National Park in the Ocala National Forest. Great kayaking on the springs which pass several Indian Mounds along the way to Lake George. Black Bears are numerous, so have to keep everything put away; raccoons can be braver. We do some jeeping in the Forrest, and the spring is a refreshing swim. Yep, we keep an eye out for the alligators, but they aren’t normally found at the head-waters of the Springs.

Tom & Diana P and Ben like this.
  15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Agreed! Stayed in that little oasis in summer 2015...

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  16. We were there in 2016. After we saw how much we liked the park and campground, we wanted to stay longer but we had reservations in Moab so we had to move on.

17. Lynne & Scott

In the hills - late snows are common. I would not venture there until late April. In this day and age of technology - you would be pretty safe to look at a ten day forecast and plan a trip I would think

18. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Love Capital Reef too. Unfortunately when we were there in May 2017 the campground was full - so we found this dry camp spot on BLM land (Bullfrog Basin Road) just outside the park (got the green light from the ranger at the NP that it is OK to camp on BLM land that shows sighs of previous camping/usage and this was right on a creek).

Attached Files:

19. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

20. Calvin & Jane

Calvin & Jane Novice