550 / 560 Big Dude -> Little Trailer

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Josh Campbell, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Josh Campbell

Josh Campbell Newbie

So as we start our wish-list of what we're looking for, (and make that decision between the 550 and 560), I'd love a bit of feedback on how it works for big guys in little trailers.

I'm 6'3", and now longer skinny like I was in my 20s. I've read a few posts about people using the bottom bunk of the 560 for pillows, thus allowing a full stretch out.

Any testimonials of tall people in 550s? Any expert advice in this area?

2. Dean Pinter

Dean Pinter Novice

My wife and I are not tall (5'7" max) but we do use the love seat as a pillow because we shove our clothing bags under the storage where one's feet might go. We keep the seat in the lowered position and only put it up if we are sitting inside while hiding from the cold rain & snow. There is even enough space for our yellow lab.

JeremyB likes this.
  3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

While neither my wife or I are that tall, we did go with the 560 because it was more versatile.

First, the stuff immediately below would apply to both 550 and 560.
    Since the bed is the same between both models and the bed is a standard Queen Size mattress, you should be able to make some determination of whether you would fit on either one by how well you fit a queen mattress now.

The only difference between a queen mattress in your room and in the trailer is that you cannot get in/on the mattress from any direction and have to access it through the doors (which provide pretty easy access) and that there are cabinets above your feet in the trailer.

Climbing In/Out
    There are doors on both sides so this is really nice and makes it easy to get in/out without disturbing your camping partner. The doors are right about chair height so if you don't have issues getting out of a chair, you should not have any issues with the trailer. The other piece is pulling your legs in...you don't exactly have to scrunch into a ball but you do need to pull your legs up enough to climb in...longer legs, the more you have to pull your knees up. Again, I don't see this as restricting as it is really not bad at all but some folks may have mobility challenges that would limit their ability to get in/out of the trailer.

Foot Room
    As for foot room, there is plenty in the trailer using the standard mattress from CampInn. We have a memory foam topper (3") and that does take away from some of the available foot room. I wear a 8.5 size shoe and there is still a little room to spare but not much if I am lying flat and my feet are straight up. However, I am also a side sleeper so I have 0 issues with my feet hitting anything.

560 vs 550
    I think the benefits of the 560 is the greater flexibility. With it set up in Sofa mode, you have a place to sit up, read, watch TV (if you have the TV option), etc. It can also provide a place to put clothes, etc. if you need the extra space. We camp with our dog and she sleeps on the sofa instead of crowding between us like at home (yes, we let our dog sleep on our bed at home, LOL).

You can lay the couch flat so that you can make it longer than a standard queen and give yourself plenty of leg room. However, not sure it is really needed given that a queen mattress is 80 inches and at 6'3", you should be 75" leaving you 5 inches to spare.

We also have a wonderful granddaughter and we put the sofa in bunk bed mode and she sleeps in one bunk while the dog gets the other (at least that is how it is supposed to work).

So, for us it was about flexibility that the 560 offers. The downside is that the 560 is heavier and therefore does require a larger vehicle to tow. Some people don't like the lines of the 560 as much as the 550 and its more traditional teardrop shape. I think they both look awesome myself.

Hopefully this gives you some useful information/perspective for your decision process.

JeremyB and Josh Campbell like this.
  4. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

I am 6'1" and fit comfortably in our 550. I think though I am at the upper limit. I've been recommending that my 6'3" brother-in-law check out a 560.

5. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

I would go with the 560. My husband is 6' 3" also and we have found the extra room very useful and I'm certain that he would feel cramped in a 550. Be sure to get the SUV version of the 560. That raises everything up 3 additional inches and reduces the chances of bumping your head on the galley hatch. Also, having the higher counter height makes it easier to cook and wash dishes.

Josh Campbell and JeremyB like this.
  6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am 6'2" and the 550 is just fine. But you should find one nearby and ask the owner if you can lay down in it. Maybe give them a heads-up before you come and tell them you will wear clean clothes and clean socks....:)

Also, the foot room is fine for me, and I have size 13 shoes (but I don't have any "topper" on the mattress). Even when you are flat on your back, your feet do not stick up vertically/at 90 degrees. Your feet are at an angle (45 degrees). So I doubt your feet would be a problem (except if you have a thick mattress-topper).

Also, no one really sleeps as long as their height - meaning, when you sleep, even on your back, your legs are angled from your body, so your feet are not really 75 inches from your head when you sleep. You don't actually need 75 inches from the top of your head to the bottom of the mattress, though I still think you should find a 550 and lay down. I would be very surprised if it's not long enough for you.

That said, there are other reasons to choose a 560 over a 550, though we are happy with our 550. If I frequently camped someplace where it rained during camping season, I might have wanted a camper with more inside space. But here in California, that's not too much of an issue.

I do agree that the SUV height is very important for a tall person. I prefer the higher countertop height in the kitchen. I'd like it even higher! (but I also have lower back issues, so...)

-Al