Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by GTXgreg, Dec 6, 2011.

1. GTXgreg

GTXgreg Newbie

Anybody have a preference or recommendation on brake controllers? My truck(2008 GMC Sierra) has the 7 pin connector and all of the wiring. It just didn't come with the controller.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Greg,

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control last year. Easy set up and calibration. No problems works great. There are less expensive ones out there but I needed one that could be mounted vertically so the 360 degree mounting option and online reviews are main reasons I choose it.

Benn

3. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

I had a Prodigy also. Great product. Easy to self install especially if you have the factory wiring harness. Spent more time mounting the bracket than plugging it in.

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

GregBeth we have the tekonsha prodigy also and have no problems with it.Steve :)

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

We see ALOT of the Prodigy P2s coming here to pick up trailers. Seems safe to say that is a good choice.

Cary

6. GTXgreg

GTXgreg Newbie

That was easy! Thanks all.

7. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Sounds like you've decided on a Prodigy. When you start looking into it, you'll probably find that the wiring harness that comes with the unit doesn't just plug into your TV. It only has a plug on one end that connects to the controller and the other end will just have four exposed bare wires that you have to connect to your TV. However, there are 2-plug connectors available that basically make it a plug-n-play installation. Depending on the make and model of your 2008 GMC there will be a specific connector for it. After you find out which one works, if it's a 3025-P I have one that I can send you. It's brand new but won't work with the Flex and Ford has no clue as to which little plastic connector block I need to re-pin it to make it work. I even took them a picture and they couldn't figure it out. So, it's less aggregation for me to just buy a new one from Amazon. So if you can use it, let me know. PM me with an address and I'll send it to you.

8. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

I should add that I did have trouble with two of them, both replaced at the trailer dealer. Failed exactly the same way. Seems several years ago they had a bad batch. If the car was hooked to the trailer and not running, parked overnight, the prodigy was draining the battery on the car. Normal operation is that while the car is running you are charging the batter on the trailer for the emergency breakaway system (typical utility trailer). There is a sensor of some type, like the isolator in the CI to stop the trailer battery from drawing from the car. Sensor failed in back to back units. Left me really scratching my head on why my 18 month old batter was dying. Very difficult when you have landed the balloon, chase crew pulls up, and by the time you have packed up the car won't start and you are out in the boonies.

But they stood behind the product and the never had a problem with the third one.

9. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Gary,

Hope mine isn't part of the bad batch from years ago. I never hooked it up so I have no idea if it works or not but it's probably 8 yrs. old.

I crewed for an employee that had a balloon, what an adventure. The best landing was into someone's back yard while they were eating dinner. After they helped us take it down the alley to the street they invited us for something to eat. The scariest time was when we got to close to restricted air space around McGuire AFB. We were greeted by two Cobra helicopters and sorta forced to land... aaahhh, the good ol' days.

10. GTXgreg

GTXgreg Newbie

AJ
    I got in touch with Tekonsha about the 2 plug connector. After 2007 GM no longer included a connector under the dash of their pickups to plug into, just bundled wire ends. Get to do it old school.

Greg

11. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Sorry to hear that, but good luck with the install.