Campground App

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Lynne & Scott, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

Are you a planner who has each stop decided upon ahead of time and reservations made? If so, this thread probably won’t be of interest to you. We want our trips and stops to be ‘spur of the moment’. I have seen several apps for campgrounds and wonder what those in this forum might use during travel. We are past tenters and prefer remote campsites or boondocking. If you don’t use a app - do you have a reference book? I am curious how you find those gems along the way...

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’m like you and only plan to be in a general area on any given day. I might do a gps search from the Outback onboard map. Or just look out the front window for a nice spot. I rarely pay for a camping spot but I’m traveling and moving down the road everyday.

Lynne & Scott likes this.
  3. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I'm envious of you Westerners. I'd very much love to just look out the window and pick a spot to set up for the night but we've got too many people on the East Coast for this to work. In fact, it's best to plan out your camping season real early around here. For popular sites (ex Assateague Island) all of the choice spots will be reserved within a couple of minutes of being made available (9 months or so before the date). I'm angry at myself for not checking even more frequently for an RV spot at an upcoming music fest (Delfest). I had been checking every couple of days to see when the RV tickets would go on sale and the first time I saw them actually for sale all had already been sold. We just have too many people for the amount of space available to camp on this side of the continent.

I wonder though if the "Gaia" app would meet your needs. There is a premium level which has a map that includes the boundaries for all public land. This could work well in the West to be sure you're on BLM land and not private land. I hope this helps. Ben H

4. Lynne & Scott

I understand how hard it must be for those of you in more populated areas to find some “space” spur of the moment. The longer I live in South Dakota the more I appreciate it’s diversity. From the beauty of the plains with its corn fields and pastures with hay bales and patches of clover (which is why SD honey is so yum) to the amazing badlands at the foot of beautiful Paha Sapa (Black Hills). The Missouri River runs through the middle of the state and offers some great remote spots to camp and fish. We are in the process of buying a Camp-inn and look forward to exploring our great national and state parks and hopefully find those off the beaten path gems. As eager as I am to explore our great land I know that I will always have a smile on my face when I return home. We are blessed. I will look into the app you suggested - I appreciate the input!
    Happy travels - Lynne :)

Tour 931 likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I can always find a spot most anywhere. It doesn’t matter if it’s along a two lane road or in LA. But I travel as a “road trip” and not as a camper.

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Allstays C-RV Lite
    Great free app that we've found useful wherever we've been.

Lynne & Scott likes this.
  7. Lynne & Scott

I just downloaded it - thanks a bunch!

8. Peg

Peg Novice

You might want to check freecampsites.net

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Tour 931 and Evan like this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Looks like a good finder Cary. Now if I can only figure out how to download it.

11. RShep

RShep Novice

Android apps RVParky, Kampnik, RACamping. Kampnik will show map locations if on wifi or if you have an offline Google Map loaded.