Camping Near Big Cities

Discussion in 'Campground & Park Reviews' started by Jim 2011, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

On our return trip home to California, after picking up our CI, we had not planned ahead and ended up north of Seattle (Everett) late in the afternoon. We were heading to the coast of Oregon on our way to California so we were coming down I-5 intending to make our way over towards Astoria the next day. We started looking through all our campground guides (Good Sam, Woodalls, AAA etc.) and only found two near Everett. They were both on some very busy main street and were packed full of long term trailers and RVs. We continued south on I-405 toward Seattle and ended up out in Issaquah off of I-90 at another packed RV park full of long term renters and it was clear that "overnighters" were something of a nuisance. It was OK for the night (right next to the freeway so very noisy) but we realized that anywhere near a big city was going to be a problem. Other than planning better wondered what others do? By the way, while sipping a brew in Oregon someone showed me an APP (application) for my iPad called Allstays Camp & RV. Kind of pricey ($6-7) but it appears to have most, if not all, of the various campgrounds in America in it. Anyway, my point is to ask how to we visit a New York or Chicago (or Seattle) and come back to a nice place to rest and relax? Is it simply not really possible? Park it somewhere far away and rent a hotel room? What do you guys do (other than avoid cities like the plague)?
    Jim

2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

We've had to stay at two motels with MiniMc - 1 in a small town and another in Houston- both times we unhitched, locked the tongue and left it- small town in the reg. parking lot, Houston had an area for trailers. Get good locks good ins. pray and go have a good time. Tongue lock and wheel locks should do it.

3. mewton

mewton Novice

I think it depends on your definition of "near". I've camped several times outside of Seattle and drove into the city for a day trip, but it was always over an hour outside of Seattle. Except for some exceptions I'm sure the bigger the city is the farther you would have to drive to have a "decent" campground that doesn't resemble a parking lot. Outside of Omaha I stayed at a really nice campground in Iowa, it was only about a 30 minute drive into Omaha, in Spokane we have a wonderful campground only 15 minutes away from the interstate and downtown, riverside state park.

4. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Saying you often have to Camp well outside the cities pretty much confirms my conclusions as well. I guess an hour each way is what far too many suburban commuters have to put up with each and every day anyway. I can do it if needed as well. Thanks,
    Jim

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I remember Evans post about talking to security or a manager at one of the parking structures in Portland and they camped right at the top. I think if you talk to them (the lot managers), they might allow you to do that, especially if they aren't busy. He was in a prime spot downtown too! Down side, you have to deal with riff-raff, no potties, and the possiblities that the next manager might not know you were given the all clear. Evan can talk about that. I haven't tried it, but it seemed like a good idea! Especially if it is just for 1-2 nights.

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

On the 10th floor there wasn't any riff-raff, but you're right - sometimes the next manager doesn't know what last night's manager said is OK.