Carbon monoxide monitor reset?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by LisaNKevin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

We let our battery go down too far to be able to charge it with the plug in the garage. After a call to Camp-Inn, I plugged it to the car and got it recharged enough for the plug to take over and finish the job.
    The CO monitor keeps going off now. Is there a reset procedure, other than pushing the button?

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

On a heavy charge the battery charger will set it off. Simply turn off your DC battery switch while recharging the battery in a situation like this and when done turn back on and all will be fine.

Cary

3. LisaNKevin

Thank you!

4. Okay Wait.

If the trailer battery discharges beyond a certain point, the on-board converter-charger will not recharge the battery? Why not?

And if that happens, one can connect the trailer battery to the car presumably via the connector cable and that will eventually charge the battery to a point where the on board converter-charger will now work? How do you know when the battery is charged by the car enough for the converter to now work?

5. Cary Winch

Rick,

If the battery gets down too low the charger thinks you connected it to a 6V battery and has enough on board intelligence to not turn on.

At that point you need to either connect to a dumb charger or start the car and charge from the car. Just need to get it up enough the on board can take over from.

Cary

6. Thanks Cary.

Yet another reason why I LOVE this forum. I would've never even known about this as a potential issue.

7. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Must you also throw the DC battery switch?

8. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am wondering if this explains why my solar panel controller (on the panels, not on the td) were telling me the battery was over-discharged, even tho the Ts had been plugged in for days at home and we only took a 30 minute drive to the campsite, with fridge plugged in...

And 40 hours later the battery won't run the fridge.

Something isn't right.

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Other than turn off the dc switch or pulling the fuse is there any other quick way to disable the co detector. It went off at 2am What a pain. The vent was open and I had a window cracked.

Is the detector going off because of having the trailer plugged into ac while camping?

Any others having this issue? Thanks Dave

10. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Dave, we've had this problem - call the factory as soon as you can and they will tell you how to do a quick fix. Agree, it's a real pain and the only issue we've had with the trailer over the 27K miles we've towed it. Be sure to talk to Cary or Craig. Kathy

11. LisaNKevin

So, it's 3:30am and the carbon monoxide monitor is going off in the campground. We're in Florida and it's warm and when we turn the air conditioner off, it quits. Voltage meter says 14.6, we're hooked to shore power. Too late to salvage tonight but what is the fix? Oh, wait...even without the a/c on it is going off. Campers must love us. I have now thrown the switch but it is stuffy.

12. LisaNKevin

4:50am update: as above, I flipped the DC switch off then back on. That seems to have solved the problem. Maybe I can get another hour of sleep.

13. 1Door

1Door Novice

Take a nap this afternoon.

14. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Camp-Inn is no longer offering the carbon monoxide monitor as it is so unreliable.

I had to disconnect mine.

Dave

15. LisaNKevin

Dave,

So, how did you disconnect your monitor? Is it difficult?

I see you picked up your teardrop October 29, we got our October 1, 2012. We named ours Stray Cat and yours is The Cats Meow. I just had to point that out. :)

Susan/Alan, no nap today. Had to drive home. :-(. But, I was able to get back to sleep until 8:30 with the overhead fan on, so I'm good.

16. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

In the storage bin where the master cut off is you remove about six screws that hold the side of the bin and pull it to the side. From there you will see where it is attached. Simply cut the wire and insulate the ends where they come from the fuse box.

Now if you think you might want to add another gadget in the future you can use this connection from the fuse box.

My cat purrs louder than yours. LOL

Dave

17. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

was this an option? I don't recall seeing this when we ordered ours. Where is the monitor fitted?.

We had a minor propane leak under the sink a year ago this would have been handy as Annie kept telling me she could smell something and like a good husband I kept ignoring her.

18. Cary Winch

Barry,

The CO detector (not LP gas) was part of the furnace option. It was down in the footwell on one that was equipped with it.

Cary

19. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an insidious problem. It results from combustion of fuel with oxygen, such as gasoline, natural gas, propane, and even camp fires. CO is an odorless, colorless gas, undetectable by an unaided human. At high concentration, IT WILL KILL YOU. At lower concentrations, it merely makes you stupid, which is a problem because you don't realize what is happening, and are not very capable of taking care of it. With long exposures the "stupid" is permanent. In California, it is required by law to have a CO detector in your house. Sources of CO in a small trailer could be from a malfunctioning propane heater or other propane accessory, or even from the exhaust from your neighboring big rig's generator. CO is heavier than air so it tends to collect in low places or enclosed areas. If it obtains any concentration inside the trailer, you could have a big problem.

If Camp-Inn is no longer supplying a CO detector, I will personally install a battery operated one in my trailer when I get it. Battery powered detectors are commonly available for $20-$30.

One other thing to be aware of is a CO detector has a limited lifetime due to the materials used in the detector, about five to seven years. If yours is older than this it is due for replacement.

I am sorry to put the scare in everyone, but we have only one life!

P.S. A CO detector will not see leaking propane if it is not burning. Of course if it is, you have a much bigger problem!

20. Pick

Pick Novice

Prevalert P918N $35.00 CO detector Amazon. Remember this is not a smoke detector.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita