Check Your Lug Nuts (brake/bearing/hub Replacement Thread)

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Busy B, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Busy B

Busy B Newbie

Our Raindrop has seen some salty roads and salty air, so I decided to check on the hubs and brakes. I'm glad I did. While attempting to remove the lug nuts, a stud came loose - which would have been a nightmare on the side of the road. To get the wheel off, I had to cut the lug nut off. It might be a good idea to check on your lug nuts every now and then to ensure you can actually remove them when/if needed.

Ultimately, I replaced the brakes, hubs, and tires. I'll share some photo's and part numbers in case this is helpful. These parts work for our 560 Ultra - SUV model - with parking brake.

Brakes:
    Right: etrailer part/number: Dexter Electric Trailer Brake Assembly w/ Parking Brake - 7" - Right Hand - 2,200 lbs Item # K23-104-00
    Left: etrailer part/number: Dexter Electric Trailer Brake Assembly w/ Parking Brake - 7" - Left Hand - 2,200 lbs Item # K23-103-00
    Hub (both sides): etrailer part/number: Dexter Trailer Hub and Drum Assembly for 2,000-lb Axles - 7" - 5 on 4-1/2 Item # 8-257-5UC3
    Tires: Cooper Trendsetter SE All-Season Radial Tire - 205/75R14 95S

Attached Files:

Jerry Kemp and Evan like this.
  2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wow, all because I said your brakes sounded a little noisy....

Glad you got the problem fixed while safe at home!!

-Al

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I need to pull my wheels. On the last trip I picked up something in the brake and the brake froze. It took me an hour of moving it forward and backing it up before it broke free.

4. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

Yeah, my right (passenger side) brake was making a funny noise, got a flashlight, looked inside the adjustment hole, and saw hanging springs! Yup, after 10 years Vuggie needed new brake assemblies.

New Right brake on left, old one with no brake pads!

When I took off the hub, broken springs, fouled adjustment screw and NO brake-pad liner! A fun easy job...bearings and races were good, and I hadn't repacked a bearing since 1969 on my old Firebird. I'm old and slow so it took me about three hours, after getting the new Dexter 7x1.5 brake assembly. Brakes work like a charm, will do the left assembly shortly.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have never had a good feel for tightening bearings....too loose, too tight... Dunno. I would think “tight to x lb/ft and back off x degree” would be better than the feel technique...this one job scares me. To a lesser degree, brake adjustment....love them hydraulic ones :)

6. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

I agree Sweeney, seems like before every trip I'm adjusting the brakes either one click up or down (my woman says I'm just anal, heh-heh.) Finger tight on the bearings after I've tightened them to 30-to-40 foot-pounds with a torque wrench. Here's a vid you may like:
    Regards, T

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Will look...but is that Sheldon Cooper finger right, or Andrew the giant finger tight :)

Edit: Joking aside -- funny I mentioned tight to 40....turns out I was close :) This is a well done video. Short, sweet, and right to the point.

Its interesting you error on the side of loose. I would think the other way...especailly if you're talking 1/8 or so of a turn. I'm probably 18 months away from need this -- lets see if I remember it :) We made our deposit this week --- waiting anxiously for delivery....Going to be a LONG wait until the anticipated delivery date.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021