Chicken and Dumplings

Discussion in 'Main Dishes' started by Jim and Sue L., Jun 23, 2015.

1. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Break out your 10 inch fryer, this is for those cool evenings when you have a bit of extra time.

You'll need:

1 small chicken in pieces

3 sliced carrots

2 sticks of celery - sliced

1 medium white onion

1 clove of garlic

1 cup crisp white wine

flour for dusting chicken

olive oil

1 bay leaf

Bisquick or your own recipe for biscuits

water

butter

salt and pepper

Cut the chicken in to as equal parts as possible, separating drumsticks from thighs and cutting breasts into quarters.

Dredge the pieces in a mixture of flour, pepper and salt. Shake off excess flour leaving a light coating only.

Heat the oil until it starts to smoke, then brown chicken a few pieces at a time. You want a good, golden brown on both sides and lots of dark brown goodies in the pan.

Place browned chicken aside and pour off old oil - leave those brown goodies in the pan. Add fresh oil and brown sliced onions.

Add garlic and saute just until it releases it's fragrance, then add wine and deglaze the pan.

Add veggies with a pinch of salt and pepper, place chicken on top and add enough water to leave the top of the chicken exposed.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is tender.

Make biscuit dough just before the chicken is done. Bring the heat back up to a boil (watch out that you don't burn the bottom of the pan) and scoop tablespoons of dough on top of the chicken.

Place the lid back on, lower hear by half and let steam 5 minutes.

Check with a folk to see if biscuits are cooked inside (they should be glossy on the surface).

Scoop off biscuits, remove chicken then veggies - leaving sauce and any small bits of veggies/biscuits in the pan.

Add a bit more wine, bring the heat back up and whisk into a smooth sauce (you may have to use a strainer to make it lump free).

Add a pat of butter at the end and salt and pepper to taste.

Plate it by placing a biscuit in the middle, veggies touching on the side, two pieces of chicken resting on biscuit and a good helping of sauce over all. A nice glass of that white wine well chilled is a great finish.

My grandmother called this good winter food...and she was right.

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Sounds delicious. About how long does the chicken cook before adding the biscuits? I know it will depend on size of chicken pieces, just wanted estimate. Have you tried making in Dutch oven in the oven?

3. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Sounds amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

4. Jim and Sue L.

I do this all the time in my CI Dutch oven at home...in the oven start at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then down to 325 for an hour. On top of the stove usually takes about an hour or less, but you need to make sure the bottom doesn't burn. Just check with a fork and see it the chicken is tender/falling apart, then add the biscuit dough.

All you would need is some hot apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

Sue

5. Jim and Sue L.

Afterthought: A Dutch oven is best for this recipe. I just happen to use a deep 10 inch fryer while camping. You can lug only so much CI in your CI.

Camp in,

Sue

6. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Your recipe sounds delicious and the addition of apple pie a la mode is brilliant! I try to cook anything that requires a longer cooking time in my enamel covered cast iron in the oven. Get it all together and then wait for it to be done. No muss, no fuss and only one pot to wash afterwards.
    I a have been looking at cast iron Dutch ovens for camping but just haven't done it yet. Seems like we're always running around when camping and I didn't think everyone would wait for something to cook over the coals. But I keep hoping.