Cleaning Window Screens

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Les Izmore, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Anyone have any thoughts on how to clean the bottom of the window screens? After 3 1/2 years there's a lot of junk trapped in there. If it is possible to clean that out, we'd like to do so.

2. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Wondering if using an air compressor (or can of compressed air) to blow it out might take care of most of it? If you want really clean, maybe try using a tiny brush like these to get down in the crevices of the window....... Pipe Cleaning Brushes

Casandra

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Thanks, Casandra! Those are two great ideas. I'll likely try the can of compressed air first. I think my sister-in-law has some that we can use when we visit her again in two weeks.

4. birder526

birder526 Novice

Great suggestions!

Has anyone washed their curtains? What method?

The crevice that runs behind the under counter bin lids gets messy often. I use swabs (damp) to clean out this hard to reach area. Any other ideas?

5. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

The bin lids can easily be removed completely by pushing a release catch on the hinges. Cleaning is then totally easy. They reinstall with a push to snap the hinges back on.

6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Rotus8 is right about the deep storage lids. There is a little tab at the bottom of the hinge. I believe you push that in while pulling up and away on the outside of the hinge. It can take some practice to get it right, but perseverance pays off. Once the hinge releases, just pull them out. The fact that you can remove the lids and that the outside channel slopes to drain out the back of the galley is one of the great details that make Camp Inn stand out from the competition.

Somewhere it says that the curtains need to be dry cleaned.

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

If you have a "vintage" CI,(circa 2001-ish) the bin lids are not removable. Can of compressed air works well for dust. When home, you can use one of the tiny vacuum attachments - brush and/or crevice tool (like the ones used for cleaning a keyboard). To get any residue that is stuck on, a toothbrush and dish soap works great.

:cool:

8. birder526

birder526 Novice

Thanks for the advice about the bin lids and curtains!

9. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

FWIW on removal of the bin lids . . .

When Toad Away was brand new, I took off the bin lids just tinkering around, seeing how everything worked.
    (Marty had showed me the little tabs on the hinges during our orientation, but didn't actually pull them off..)

I spent at least an hour in growing frustration trying to get them reinstalled, contemplating having to back to Necedah, just to get the lids put back on. I can't tell you what finally worked; they ultimately clicked back into place after at least a million unsuccessful tries. I vowed never to do that again.

I just clean that space now with the old towel-wrapped-around-a-screwdriver trick. Compressed air is a good idea.

10. birder526

birder526 Novice

;)
    When we had our teardrop, I popped those bin lids off and on regularly. Never had a problem! However, I had signed up for the class that demonstrated this!