Clotheslines in National Parks

Discussion in 'Campground & Park Reviews' started by 1Door, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yep, sure did. But I was also thinking of the song...;)

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Thanks for the history lesson! I need to read up more on the area. My greatx3 grandparents left Monroe County, TN in 1853 for the west leaving behind a huge family (but also bringing a huge family with them). We believe the family originated in Scotland (making a stop in Ireland to, as my dad says, "raise some hell" before making their way to the US - I think he likes to bring that up because my mom's family is Irish and were dealing with the hell raising, plus the spelling of our last name changed from Scottish to Irish). That would definitely fit with the Scotch-Irish heritage of the region. My dad's side had no red in their hair as far as we can tell. My brother and I got our Ginger tops from my mom's side. We look more Irish than our relatives (stereotypically speaking...even they say it when we visit).

Looks like another place I might need to explore, especially if it is really the best place in America! That is a pretty tall order to fill! :)

3. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

Hey Ashewolf,

Man, did you bring back some memories! Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock was a favorite hangout (good food and fun). I knew Butch & Tina (Woodlands owners) via a high school girlfriend's mother (long story). Butch had to kick me and my friends out of Woodlands at closing time on a several occasions.

I grew up in the shadow of Grandfather Mountain (Seven Devils / Foscoe area) and made a yearly hiking pilgrimage from Rt. 105 up to Grandfather's swinging bridge and back. I never knew how good I had it growing up in Northwest NC until I moved away...

By the way, what did your father teach at App? I was an Industrial Tech/Electronics major, graduated in 1986. Just curious if he was one of my profs...

Eric

4. birder526

birder526 Novice

Oh boy! Good one!!

Diane

5. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

Drying towels and anything wet. We have a retracting cover in the back of the TV to keep thieves from seeing what goodies are in there. It is black and we just lay things out flat and they dry in no time. If we have the alcove up for shade we hang things from the bungies (which we have learned to ALLWAYS use).

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

and I just bought a hammock (to hang from trees at our campsite).....

I don't want the trees harmed. We just camped at Big Basin State Park (SF Bay Area) and they have a rule against hanging anything on the trees. It's understandable. All the trees have moss on them, so you really would do aesthetic damage, at least, by hanging a hammock or clothesline from the tree.

These trees in the campgrounds have to put up with hundreds of visitors each year, and for many many years.

I bought a stand for the hammock, but it is wayyy heavier than I thought it would be. Not sure how anyone in their right mind would take the stand on a camping trip.

Not many campsites have structures that you can use for hanging a hammock....

7. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Yeah, hammocks and trees usually don't mix well unless it's in your own backyard. But they are nice for camping.
    I have a hammock and sturdy metal stand that comes in a nice travel bag and it's not any longer than a
    fold up chair and not a lot more in weight than an REI Alcove shelter.