Cranberry Beef Stew

Discussion in 'Main Dishes' started by jerry and tina, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Did this one for our Tears Gathering - No leftovers
    Can easily be cut in half. Would suggest fourthing it for two people.

Cranberry Beef Stew
    2 cups fresh/frozen cranberries
    ½ cup flour
    1 ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    3 pds beef stew meat, cut 1 inch pieces
    ½ cup onion, chopped
    3 tbsp butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups beef broth
    1 dup dry red wine/cranberry juice
    1 cup tomato, chopped (1 large)
    1 tbsp sugar
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
    6 med carrots, chunked
    1- 16 oz package frozen cut green beans
    1 cup celery, sliced
    ½ cup snipped parsley

1. Rinse cranberries in cold water, drain. Set aside.
    2. In large re-sealable bag, combine flour, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Add meat shaking to coat.
    3. In 4/5 qt DO, brown meat in hot butter over med heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Add cranberries, broth, wine, tomato, sugar, thyme, bay leaf, and remaining salt/pepper. Bring to boiling (cranberries will pop) then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 ½ hours.
    4. Add carrots, beans, and celery. Return to boiling and reduce heat. Simmer, covered for additional 30 min. or until tender. Before serving add parsley and discard bay leaf.

Makes 10-12 servings. 313 cal.

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Re: recipe

Living in the cranberry capital of the U.S., I see lots of cranberry recipes. This one is definitely a keeper...it was very yummy! :)

:cool:

3. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Re: recipe

We tried this recipe on our latest camp out, but modified it by cutting it down, and adding a potato. As usual, I do the prep, and Jim cooks. And as usual, we had far too much. I just can't get used to cooking for two, after all of those years of cooking for four hungry boys! Jim used the charcoal method to cook it, and while the stew was delicious, it took way too long to cook. Next time, we'll try it over a fire, or on the burner. We also made beer bread to go with it, and that paired up very nicely with the stew.
    [​IMG]

4. Re: recipe

I have to cut this recipe in 4ths for us...I too find it hard to get things down to serve just the two of us. Just found a 6" DO so between that and the 8" DO maybe it will help with portion size.