Death Valley?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Randy, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Can anyone recommend a campground in Death Valley?

Thanks

2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Randy, we stayed 2 nights at the Panamint Springs RV Park a couple of years ago. Nothing special but it had a restaurant and little grocery store across the road. It's on hwy 190 west of death valley. There are campgrounds inside the park; can't remember why we chose to stay in Panamint Springs. Oh, now I remember: it was our anniversary and I didn't want to cook!
    Kathy

3. Randy

Ha ha, thanks Kathy, that's a good reason to choose a campground! A friend Also recommended Panamint, will check it out, thanks. I suspect it will be cold at night this winter so hoping to find a place. With shore power.

Randy

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Two years ago Sue and I camped at Furnace Creek CG adjacent to the Visitors Center. We were able to get a site with shade under a band of trees that snaked through the campground. Showers are available for a fee(day Pass)at the pool at the Furnace Creek Resort. They also have a great restaurant there. Try the Date Shake, a desert treat. I don't think you will be able to get shore power at any of the campgrounds in Death Valley.

Jim

5. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Death valley is a huge park. You should figure out what you want to see, then pick your caampground, possibly moving in the middle of your stay. You can burn a huge amount of gas just ggoing from camp for what you want to see and do.

Our last visit this spring we stayed at Mesquite Springs, nearest access to Scottys Castle, Ubehibe Crater, the Race Track, Eureka Dunes, and other stuff at the north end of the park. Our favorite is Thorndyke; it is high so good to get away from the heat, but closed in winter.

6. Randy

Thanks Ted, good advice!

Randy

7. Randy

Just booked four nights at Furnace Creek in early April with electric. Will report back!

Randy

8. Jim and Sue L.

Don't worry about cold nights. It can be hot, hot, hot in April. Canopy the trailer - helps insulate a bit. Loose clothes, lots of water, sun block, hats and comfortable shoes are a must.

Of course, if El Nino works out as they forecast, a canoe would also be useful...

But let's think positive here. Heavy rains can result in astounding flower displays - as well as flash floods and the rangers are always up on that, so relax, stay safe and have a blast.

I'm bugging Jim to hit the valley this spring also. Love it there.

Camp on,

Sue and Jim (the bugged one)

9. Randy

Thanks Sue and Jim. We are excited about our first visit to Death Valley. Our hiking will be somewhat limited as we are taking our dog but apparently you can hike with them on the back roads. Hoping that El Nino will bring some Spring flowers and not Spring showers. El Nino has arrived, its coming down in buckets today in SO Cal.

Randy & Michelle

10. Jim and Sue L.

Steady and heavy rain here in the SF Bay Area, too. Haven't checked the desert to see what's going on there, but looks like everyone is getting wet at long last.

Oh, if you have a very sturdy 4 wheel drive, high rise vehicle, try a nasty, dirt trail in Death Valley called Titus (Titian? I forget). Absolutely gorgeous....but beat the heck out of our truck. Poor thing never did run the same afterword, but loved that trail.

Camp On,

Sue and Jim

11. Randy

Thanks for that because I believe dogs are allowed on dirt roads. I have a 4WD Ram so will look for the Titan road.

12. Jim and Sue L.

I think it's called Titus Canyon. It's on the way to Beaty. Jim knows the road numbers, but he's busy organizing the garage (I know he's still there because the food I set out gets eaten - and not by mice). I just remember the sights.

And speaking of sights, Artist's Pallet is best at sunset. Bring your camera. And hopefully this year's rain will bring on one of those rare and stunning desert blooms. Looking good so far.

I'm still whining at Jim to go there this March, but doesn't look hopeful as we are selling our house in April and have lots to update before then. Rats. Looks like most of the good travel time will be spent moving.

But there's always September!

Sue