DirecTV

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by jimmymack, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

Does anybody use DirecTV and watch it on their laptop? Is it working well for you?

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I had been looking at the same type of set up.. the dome portable dish satellite feeds and was wondering the same thing. Me thinks it has to be direct line of site, so in a wooded area, might be a little tricky in setting up.. dunno.. look forward to the replies...

3. jimmymack

jimmymack Newbie

I was thinking more in terms of that DirecTV to go or whatever they call it, where you access it over the internet. I haven't ordered my trailer yet, so basically I'm thinking of ways I can avoid ordering the built-in tv (and still have a way of watching tv).

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I don't have it, but understand Slingbox might do what you want. Not cheap, though.

5. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

The only problem is that you need WiFi. Even in the rare time when I am camping somewhere that has wifi, it doesn't penetrate that Faraday cage of an aluminum camper well enough to use it.

7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

For WiFi, I have a Dongle and Router so I can plug 12 outlet in care or TD and have 5+ devices get the WiFi or can use the phone "Hot Spot" option.. but Lordy-lordy... it's not unlimited and the data plans are expensive... Verizon anyway... but it does work, but for a movie?? guessing you'd chew up some bandwidth.. i can get a signal I believe inside... Dongle as an antenna I put on the roof of truck...