Double Sleeping Bag?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Randy, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I really like camping this time of year in So Cal (lots of available sites), but didn't get the furnace option and rarely have shore power. It does get down in the 20-30s sometimes at elevation. I have been lo9oking into zero degree double wide sleeping bags. I like the Grizzly and Mammouth brands so far. Nice flannel lining and zippers on both sides. Wondering if anyone has a double bag that they particularly like. Thanks!!

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have the furnace and a small electric heater when I have hook ups. I have camped over New Years with temps in the mid 20s.

Even with a heat source, getting the foot of the bed warm is a challenge. I have a north face 15 degree large mummy bag that I stick in between the sheets when it is that cold. I have a Hudson Bay wool blanket and lightweight comforter from LL Bean on top of that.

If I didn't already have the mummy bag, I would get something like the Dolomite bag that Jenn mentions. I find flannel too warm and as Jenn says, too difficult to move around in.

As the say, your mileage may vary.

3. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi! Down is an amazing insulator. Plus it's light weight when you're covered by it. At times when it isn't needed it packs away small. Works beautifully!

4. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

So birder 526 - are you liking your R-Pod?

birder526 likes this.
  5. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

We found that 2 bags that fit perfectly on the bed are then two small with two bodies in them. We got larger bags that overlap in the middle when making the bed then have a Costco throw over them. One person who was "getting the tour" couldn't figure out why we had a transmission hump in the tear! We all had a good laugh at that.

Jenn likes this.
  6. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

We also have a Costco down throw which packs to nothing and is perfect for our foot area on cold nights.

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi! Just saw your question as I decided to visit the forum to see what's new! All is great with the rpod! It's 20' in length so easy to tow and maneuver . Love the layout in our model 179 and storage is ample. It is a pleasure to have a bathroom on board too. We now have 3 rescue cats, so the larger space is needed! We still full-time and recently arrived in Texas where we are going to spend the winter . Hope all is well with you !

rgupnorth and Randy like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Thanks Bear, I am always grateful when you share your experience with us, no one has more than you!

Here is an interesting Kickstarter project, a battery powered heated down blanket. Although expensive, it could be a viable solution to the holy grail of heat without shore power. I invested, will report back in July when the product ships.

Randy

The Rumpl Puffe-, A Portable Battery-Powered Heated Blanket

KarenBee likes this.
  9. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

We use a queen size travasak, which is essentially two large sleeping bags velcroed together with a velcroed sheet liner on the inside of the bag. The liner can easily be removed for washing. It seems like this could easily be made with sheets and sleeping bags of choice. Using summer and winter bags together would work for all seasons by placing the appropriate bag on top. We just roll up all the bedding and push it in the foot well area in the mornings along with our pillows to keep them clean and out of the way during the day.

10. janojebo

janojebo Newbie

Grizzies! We love 'em zipped together but sure are hot!
    Know that you can zip two of these together and sleep four. We had the best camp out with our kids. Only problem was how hot they were. I should have bought the cooler version. At least you can unzip from the bottom too so you can stick your feet out. I expect to have these for 10-15 years easily.
    BTW during the first use, a child peed overnight insight the sleeping bag - it happens. I handwashed and tried in the sun but it took days. Take extra caution around liquids with these. If you go tent camping in the rain, your tent best be 100% leak proof.
    [​IMG]

Kevin S, Jenn and Randy like this.
  11. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Jenn, I was just gonna comment on the flying child!

12. Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Van_and_Terri likes this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Welcome to the club :)

I think what you look for really depends mostly on how you plan to use it. The best advise is to get the best you can afford. Cheaping out in the long run costs more.

The real question is do you NEED it. I have a huge collection of canopies, tents, covers etc --- including a sleeping bag --- that I never use. With a teardrop I'm happy with an extra blanket or two under the seets to act as insulation below me, and an extra wollen blanket and a knit cap.

I hanv't tried it, but a sheet of Reflectex insulation under the mattress is supposed to be the bees knees. At the temperatures I camp at (20 degrees is about my lowest) I'm usually quite comfortable as long as I can keep my head warm.

14. André

André Newbie

On the pricier end: I really like the Nemo Jazz double. It is warm but isn’t rated for very cold. So I top it with with a lightweight synthetic blanket quilt (like the Rumpl or the Sierra Madre Duffle.)

There isn’t a lot of extra space in our 550 and these options can be easily stowed in a very small space, leaving plenty of room when one is not using the interior space for sleeping. The bigger rectangular bags are way cheaper but much bulkier.

I purchased a very inexpensive 8x10 or something rain fly for a hammock set up, and use that as a cover sheet over the bedding when we are sitting around in clothes or when the trailer is picked up for moving on. We stuff the pillows, bag top and quilt/blanket toppers under the cabinet area above the feet, spread the tarp over the exposed sheet area, and are good to go.

More unsolicited info:
    But usually we just use regular sheets in the trailer. Because the mattress isn’t quite queen size, and I hate having the bottom sheet all folded up underneath, I use a couple sets of “sheet garter” clip devices under the mattress to keep the bottom sheet in tension.

It is a pain in the butt to change out the bottom sheet and especially to clip those sheet garter things in place. Similarly it is a drag to access the under mattress storage areas. I made this problem worse by adding a latex mattress topper on top of the mattress. To partially solve this access problem I have run a ratchet strap under the mattress along with a short length of rope. I can pull the hook ends out and with the length of rope run between them over the top of the trailer, I operate the ratchet to lift the mattress up and hold it in place while I access underneath it.

The mattress does sag around the strapping, and I have considered adding a piece of 1/4” plywood (maybe 24” x 48”?) underneath as a stiffener. If I did this I would likely lightly epoxy the plywood to give it some added strength.

I also use this strap, without the added rope, to hold cargo in the trailer in place while driving. I just run the strap over the stuff and tighten it down a bit. My experience and training as a truck driver is that one of the causes of rollovers is that when performing an extreme emergency maneuver, such as a swerve or braking, things can escalate out of control rapidly if/when the load shifts. So keeping loads from shifting is important for keeping control in an emergency.

Kevin S likes this.
  15. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I have an older double bag meant for use with an air-mattress. It has an elastic thing a ma jig that surrounds the mattress to keep it in place. It also has a foot zipper. Based on this design, I stitched a fitted sheet, top full sheet, and a pet hair resistant full quilt all together at the bottom. It all stays in place. Sometimes I make the bed using both set ups at the same time. I also have a down double bag for really cold nights.

Kevin S likes this.