E-cloth = cleaning without soap and chemicals

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by birder526, Jun 28, 2014.

1. birder526

birder526 Novice

http://www.myecloth.com/

Has anybody used these cloths for cleaning? All you use is water and no cleaning products. The link above will tell you about it. Sounds good to us, but we're wondering if anyone has experience with these?

Thanks,
    Diane and Michael

2. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I had a classmate in college who worked as a house cleaner - she said they used microfiber cloths all the time - if I remember correctly, they used them for just about everything, wet & dry - sink/tub/shower, counters, fixtures, mirrors, furniture, appliances....

I bet you could get the same result with cheap-o cloths from whatever retailer.

I use microfiber cloths a lot at home and I've found that a wet cloth works pretty good on the stainless steel in the galley - but even with a lot of elbow grease, there are some spots I just can't get out. I tried a dash of baking soda, and that helped, but not completely spotless. For me, that's good enough (I have a dry rag to "polish" away any water spots/streaks) - I suppose for a truly spotless shine, you might need stainless steel cleaner/wipes or some bon ami.

Please note: I have not yet cooked bacon on my stove so I don't know how water + microfiber would do with grease splatter!

One thing I do know about microfiber: don't use fabric softener and don't put them in the dryer (or dry on very low heat). I've been told that fabric softener can "gum-up" the fine pile and high heat can "felt" (melt) the microfibers.

Actually, the same thing goes for any fleece - fabric softener can inhibit the wicking/water repellancy of polartec-style fleece and too much heat is never a good thing with synthetic fabrics.

All of this according to a Malden Mills rep.

On the fabric softener topic, I was once told never to use fabric softener (or dryer sheets) in "white wash" a.k.a cotton towels, sheets, underpants - the fabric softener can inhibit the absorbancy of cotton.

Anyway, if you're looking to reduce your paper towel use, consider a "swedish dish cloth" a.k.a cellulose wash cloth - they're a little bit abrasive-y and seem to do a better job than a regular wash cloth (I think you can get knock-offs at Walmart/Target/grocery store?) I also like the MSR camp towel (another kind of cellulose towel) but they're pricey! Both absorb a lot of water and wring pretty dry.

Trader Joe's used to sell a washcloth that was a lot like the pack towel - I had some old blue & brown towels that were great - I still use them. Then I got a yellow one and it turned into a ratty snag.

Of course, you could always use a cut-up t-shirt!