Freezing Water?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Doug & Amber, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

We live in Houston and don't worry about freezing temps and water freezing in the water lines, tank and pump of our Teardrop. But someday we will be traveling and exploring in colder climes.

What do folks do that camp in freezing temps??? How do you prepare, what are some tricks, what is the best way to not have a frozen water disaster in the Teardrop?

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Well, if the temps will be freezing for more than just a short period during the overnight lows, our tanks and lines will be winterized. And we'll use a separate source of portable water.

3. Doug & Amber

That makes sense. I didn't know if anyone has experimented with "heat tape" and other methods for protecting the water systems for winter camping.

4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

If you are only going to be in the sub freezing temps for a short time you could drain your fresh water tank, then add just enough Everclear (if legal in your state) or vodka to prime the pump and faucet. Easier than trying to get rid of the taste of RV antifreeze, and can just refill tank when freezing danger ends without too much worry of enough being in the water to have much if any intoxicating effect.:cool:

5. Doug & Amber

Good idea, thanks for the tip.

6. JeremyB

JeremyB Junior Ranger Donating Member

Video on how to winterize:

7. Doug & Amber

Thanks Jeremy I did see this already. I was interested though in using the water system for some future cold weather camping trips. I hope to find or make my own heating system to prevent damage due to freezing water in the system. I can think of a mild heat probe in the fresh water tank of some sort. Or, maybe heat tape or heat pad that surrounds the fresh water tank. I would think a light bulb or small ceramic heater on low would suffice under the sink area to keep the plumbing and water pump safe.

8. klint74

klint74 Novice Donating Member

The video doesn't show it, but it is also important that spray attachment has antifreeze go through it. I was told by Craig that what he recommends, is to unscrew the sprayer, and shake it as water does in fact remain in the sprayer.

9. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

Doug & Amber,

We live in northern Michigan and like to camp in the shoulder seasons. Nothing like the camping in the fall in northern Michigan (although it is snowing tonight).

We had concerns with the water system too, when it dipped below freezing. This was one of the questions that we had at orientation.

Cary told us the most vulnerable area to freezing is the faucet and sprayer. He suggested that we turn off the pump, we open the faucet and move the nozzle up and down until all the water drains. Then pull the sprayer hose out, over the counter, and hold it low and turn on the sprayer until all water drips out of it.

This does a couple of things it removes water from the most vulnerable area and gives any remaining water a place to expand.

I would think the next area of concern would be the hose between the tank and the pump. That is in the storage area so typically there are things around it that will hold the warmer temperature of the day time for a longer period of time.

The tanks being a larger body of water would take longer to freeze.

All of this would depend on how cold it gets at night, how warm during the day, and how long it stays below freezing. Mid 20's at night and 40's during the day, what I have suggested has worked for us. Longer than that I would suggest a different source for fresh water and if using the gray water tank, I'd have some anti-freeze in it.

10. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Have never tried the vodka approach - but it would probably be easier to flush out of the system than the rv stuff - and if you didn't get it all out - you would probably wouldn't notice as much.

11. Doug & Amber

Steve & Betsy,

Great info. Good tips on the faucet and sprayer. Between the draining you describe and a heat source light a light bulb or small heater under the sink, I'm sure we would be fine with nighttime temps of 25 and daytime temps of 40.

12. dustinp

Hi Jenn,
    I don't know if there are any components in the water system that would be negatively affected by exposure to ethanol, but I have done the "vodka thing" twice without a problem so far.
    I don't have the sprayer, so do not know if that presents a problem, but not sure why it should if purged with the vodka like the faucet, but then as you say, you could remove sprayer from the hose too as an extra precaution if still concerned. I haven't ever tried blowing out the lines, and not quite sure just exactly how that might be done, so can't advise on the pluses or minus's of doing that.

13. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

I've used 1/2 gallon of cheap vodka colored with food coloring for the last two winters and have had no issues. Much easier it seems to get the taste out of the tank than the RV antifreeze.
    Of course we're in NC not Minnesota or wisconsin. It has gotten substantially below freezing but not below zero.

14. dustinp

Hi Jenn,
    I drained the tank, then did as you said....ran the pump until no water came out of the faucet any longer, then added the vodka to the tank through the tank filler opening on the side until it would start coming out of the faucet with the pump on. It took about half of a 1.75 L bottle. I store the TD in my aircraft hangar. It is insulated, but not heated.

It normally tends to stay about 20 degrees warmer in there than outside because of the concrete floor, and ground underneath acting as a heat sink from the summer warmth, and giving it up over the winter, but we usually do experience some well below zero (-20 to -40) temps over the winter, in which case it can get a little below zero inside too. Hope that helps, and if you need any other info. feel free to ask or send a PM.

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Cubbies Blue would look real nice Jenn!

Jenn likes this.
  16. dustinp

.......now just don't light a match :)

Jenn and Tom & Diana P like this.
  17. I bet she's harder to keep between the lines now ;)

Jenn likes this.
  18. Looks like we're enjoying parallel threads here. Check out "Freezing Weather."