Fulton Swivel Jack Upgrade

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Randy, May 11, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Ron and Missy,

I have the same problem with the stock jack, it doesn't swivel at all, I end up sliding it across my garage floor when positioning the trailer. I went with the with the Fulton F2 With Dual Wheels. Fulton claims that "Twin-track wheels roll independently for easy maneuverability"

The mods that Rotus8 describe for the bolt-on are necessary because the F2 is designed for 3 inch frame, ours is only 2 inch. I was originally going to do the weld-on but decided against it and went with the bolt-on.

I'll report back on how it swivels after the installation.

Randy

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Our new jack rolls and swivels very nicely. However, the original one actually was working pretty well for me in that aspect. It is possible to lubricate the original jack which would certainly make it roll better if it is not damaged.

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

While moving the trailer around using the stock jack is OK, I would highly recommend getting a trailer dolly. I picked one up from Harbor Freight that works OK (provided you don't have to go over bumps like small curbs)
    http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-heavy-duty-trailer-dolly-69898.html

I have about a 1" lip from my driveway to my garage which is OK but the problem is that I have to hit is at an angle when pushing the trailer in so the wheels of the dolly do not hit at the same time. This seems to be taking a toll on the axles of the trailer dolly from harbor freight. If I could hit that lip at the same time, I think it would be fine. I will likely buy a nicer one in the near future. Having a trailer dolly to maneuver the trailer is WAY, WAY easier than using the jack.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Randy

Rotus,

Thanks foe the pictures and details! Why was the shim necessary? Is that powder coat or just paint?

Randy

5. rotus8

I think the 1/4" shim is necessary. First, it evens out the surface under the tongue frame which is not flat due to the propane tank support welded underneath. It also makes the U-bolts fit nicely as otherwise they would have some available vertical movement. The main force is upwards and so that should be as stable as possible. If the jack is not vertical it will not roll properly.

Having said this, just a note for those having rolling problems - before trying to push your trailer, you should raise or lower your jack to make the jack as perpendicular to the ground as possible. Casters don't work properly unless oriented this way.

6. Randy

Sorry for all the questions.

A 1/4 x 2 inch piece of flat stock for the shim seems pretty thick. How would I go about cutting it to make the parallelogram?

Why doesn't the shim need to be the same width as the tubing (2.5 inches?)

Did you powder coat or just paint?

Randy

7. rotus8

I have the advantage of having a pretty well equipped metal working shop so I used an abrasive cutoff saw. A hacksaw with a new blade should be fine though it will take some time. It doesn't need to be perfect. The size of the shim only needs to be 2" wide as that is the size of the tongue frame.

I just did a clean/primer/rattle can finish. Powder coat is ideal but pricy and takes a while. I may do a powder coat later if I have some other parts to send out at the same time.

RollingRob likes this.
  8. Randy

So the shim then is to add thickness to the 2.5 inch tube?

9. rotus8

Yes, and to make a flat platform under the tongue angle.

10. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Guys just checking. It appears that the stock jack has had holes drilled to accommodate the existing CI frame. Can this also be done with the Fulton bolt on? Not having all the parts hard to tell if this possible with just photos..Ron

11. Randy

Rotus successfully installed his. Using his great tips I'm right behind him.

Randy

12. hiadventurer

Yep did that. He added the Square wall tubing and shim. Looked at it this morning and the stock jack appears to have holes drilled in the bolt on bracket to accommodate the 2.5 inch stock CI trailer frame. Just wondering if that can be do e to the F2, bolt on bracket to line up with the existings holes in frame from stock jack? THX

13. rotus8

The Fulton jack base is not wide enough to span the original holes. New holes could be drilled in the frame. The Fulton bracket is cast aluminum with recesses in the back making additional holes difficult. I think it could be done, maybe, but I am not in favour of drilling extra holes if it can be avoided.

14. hiadventurer

I agrree. I thought that was the case but w/o having the F2 didnt know for sure so thanks!....R

15. Randy

Following Ted's detailed instructions, I successfully installed my new Fulton Jack tonight. I got the the tube and flat plate powder coated before I started. One word of caution if you undertake this, invest in a torque wrench. I snapped one of the U bolts on my first attempt and had to order replacement hardware. I also had to trim a little length on one of the lower bolts so that the Jack would swivel.

The new jack is awesome - much more solid, cranks faster, rolls better and looks great, especially after removing the decal. I got the two wheel model. It also has a wheel brake and handle lock which is nice. Thanks Rotus for sharing, love this forum!

Randy

RollingRob likes this.
  16. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

We purchased a Fulton trailer jack back in 02-17, with only one wheel. Amazon.com: Fulton (141133) XLT Sharkskin Finish Bolt-On Swing-Away Jack - 1500 lb. Weight Capacity: Automotive This was before they made the model with two wheels. Tight fit in length when folded up, not sure if two wheels would clear. This jack was worth the money. It allows you to maneuver the trailer with greater ease, especially around the uneven ground you might encounter at a campsite. Yes, I drilled two more holes in the angle iron to match the bracket, allowing me to use four bolts. Jim
    Hitch -1.JPG Hitch-2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Mike_Kathi and hiadventurer like this.
  17. Randy

Hey Rotus,

Do you think it would be possible to replace the plastic wheel on the F2 with a pneumatic one?

Randy

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  18. rotus8

I am a firm believer that anything is possible. I personally don't like little pneumatic tires, I find my wheelbarrow is always flat when I need it. If you can find a little tire, you might try to find an airless one, or fill it with "Slime" or other airless solution.

BTW, I replaced my Fulton jack on the Camp Inn with the two wheel version; it rolls better than the single and sits a little lower for sloped campsites. I moved the single wheel jack to my car trailer, it had a steel jack that was old and rusty, and did not swivel. The old steel jack went to the flea market and sold for a few dollars. Everyone's happy.

RollingRob likes this.
  19. hiadventurer

One of the best upgrades I did to our 560. A hugh change. Also have the dual wheel, made life much easier...threw the old jack in trash as it had collapsed when moving trailer, just missing foot! Much safer now with Fulton...

RollingRob likes this.
  20. Randy

Ya. I installed the two wheel model also Rotus following your great instructions. I’m going to write etrailer to see if they think I could replace the plastic wheels with a pneumatic.

RollingRob likes this.