550 / 560 Galley Hatch Lift?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by FauxPa, Mar 31, 2017.

1. FauxPa

FauxPa Newbie

I know Cary and co. have elected to NOT use gas lift struts for the Galley hatch and have offered good reasoning and design logic - can't disagree with their thoughts on this. However, for those of us that would like the option anyway, can anyone recommend a design and strut specs that will work or that they've tried in the past? I'm considering just buying the struts and installing them myself, but designing the installation, and deciding on which specific size (length, force, etc.) and type is a bit beyond my engineering skills. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts or recommendations? Highest regards, -Dan

2. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

I had read that if gas struts aren't used frequently, they lose their holding power. I can attest to this as both my boat seats require me to hold them up to stay in the up position, and my Porsche front trunk that I never use...it's literally worthless. The dealer told me if I wasn't using it, don't waste the money replacing them. Due to the weight and the length, you'd probably want to look at large SUV's for the best options. There are some boat hatches that have them as well, so consider marine options.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

My suggestion, wait until you have used the teardrop before deciding to add gas struts.

Jean

4. FauxPa

FauxPa Newbie

Thanks for the thoughts Brian ... yes, I understand little usage may result in dried-out malfunctioning seals which render the struts rather useless. That said, our FoxTail gets quite a workout all summer and would not suffer this malady.

5. FauxPa

FauxPa Newbie

Hi Jean ... we've used our 560 a ton since acquiring it nearly 3 yrs ago ... we absolutely love it and the freedom it provides us. That said, the one comment I hear from my wife most often is "gosh, would be great if this galley hatch weren't so heavy" ... she's a small person and has a history of back problems, so it worries her anytime she exerts unnecessary back motion/leverage/pressure. So ... though I can't disagree with Cary's sound design logic, there are times when the convenience of such a mechanism would be valuable. Still hoping to hear design ideas from anyone who's tried this. Thanks, Dan

6. Bear

Bear Junior Ranger

Dan,

I would encourage you to venture into the unknown. Set the precedence. Be the leader. Given the reasoning you've shared here, what a great way to demonstrate your love for your wife. Run with that ball and don't look back.

I sometimes think the hatch is about 10-12 lbs. heavier than it was back in 2005, and have thought about struts but haven't acted on it. I don't know if I ever will, but I know I'll be thinking about it.

Walk in Beauty,

BEAR