Galley Ventilation

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Randy, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Randy

Randy Junior Ranger Donating Member

It would be nice to have ventilation in the galley for towing with the Dometic plugged in. Perhaps a fan on each side covered on the outside with "hockey puck" metal covers? I've seen someone fabricate this on a Little Guy. Venting Galley

Randy

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I like the idea of venting the galley, but those exterior cowbells are the ugliest things I've ever seen. I'd never buy a teardrop with those on the exterior. (Maybe your hockey puck covers would be acceptable, though.)

I'd be curious how much little vents like that help to keep the galley cooler. I'm guessing you'd need a fan.

-Al

3. skissinger

skissinger Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a technical / "how to vent" person. But I'm wondering if 'keep it simple' as a first attempt might make sense here. Instead of punching holes in stuff... what about just a fan (or fans) strategically placed to circulate the air? It doesn't have to vent outside as long as the air is moving, right? (or am I showing my ignorance of 'venting 101' basics?)

4. gregangsten

gregangsten Novice

A fan going with no vent would just add more heat.
    I've thought about this too but I can't say I've come up with any easy answers. The space really does need to be vented, especially with a fridge in there but I think it would have to be designed in from the start. You would also need to be concerned about filling up the galley with dust on the road. I've propped the door open a little overnight when I've had the Dometic in there. It improves the efficiency of the fridge a lot and still makes it difficult for critters to get in. Bears are another matter though.

I bought a second deep cycle battery to run the fridge. It worked nicely in Yosemite and let me keep the Dometic in the bear box and still running.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Randy

Randy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Check out the link in my post.