Generators

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by nwhiker, Feb 28, 2013.

1. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

For those of us considering a generator I see that one of our favorite stores (Cabela's) has the following on sale this Saturday Mar 2nd.

2,000 Watt Generator by Powerhouse for $449.00 this is about $500. less than a comparable Honda or Yamaha of similar size and dimensions.

Don't know the brand or how Cabela's stands behind their products so maybee others could comment on this.

Dave

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, it's a tough one... (as mentioned earlier)
    I finally got a Honda 2000i (still to use yet) only cause they have a top rating. Yamaha vs Honda is probably like Ford vs Chevy... just depends.

Key, as I understand it is the quality, power reliability and noise level.
    I couldn't figure it all out, noise level being my priority so I'm not driven out of the campsite so just defaulted to the Honda.
    Will be curious on what pops up..

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've got a Yamaha 2400is that has been converted to trifuel...gasoline, natural gas, and LP....it is quiet and has plenty of juice to run the AC. Plus, and this is the best part, I can buy parts for it. The trouble with no-name generators is that you simply don't have a good support network.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Sweeney - I'm very interested in the converted generator.
    Would you mind posting some pictures?

Thanks

5. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

try these two sites. http://uscarb.com/ and uscarb.com

One of them only makes a kit for the honda and the other have kits for most generators, or you can purchase the generator from them ready to go. They have pictures at their web site.

I am just going to get the best price locally and convert which ever model I get myself.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Up date for anyone that wants to save money Costco has aYamaha 2000i which looks identical to the 200is for $599.99 Same specs as the one Yamaha dealers sell but with different part number same 44 lbs and quiet running with 3 year warranty.

I jumped on it you may want to all also.

Dave

ps I will convert mine to run on propane.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yeh, this the company's bought from. I've never taken it camping. S far, no need to. But for around the house the 2400is is very quiet, efficient, and seems to be a quality product. Unlike the Honda knock offs. The Yamaha was my second choice,until I found out the cam is rriven my a chain n stead of a plastic belt like the Honda...

However, I really don't think you could go wrong with either...

Sorry I missed our question Evan. I really wish this site was compatible with tapatalk application :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Some of us like to see the bears in the wild not live full time in the wild.

Since I am older and slower than most bears I might as well be comfortable when I return to my camp in.

I mean who doesn't have a flat screen, surrond sound, air etc. LOL

Dave

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

I like firelight, starlight and a warm body in the covers. But then I'm just an old fashioned girl. Generators can come in handy if you're snow camping and need power for a heater and electric blanket (Dam sure could have used one on that camping trip to Yosemite on New Years Eve). It really all depends on what is your idea of camping.

I think it's all good.

Camp On,

Sue

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Nothing wrong with a little roughing it ;). The generator is available for camping, but is more to run a sump pump in the case of electrical storms at home...

As long as I have a light and a fan I'm good. Except when the dew point and temperature match...then AC Is a nice addition. But it isn't the end f the world if it isn't there.