Going To Necedah, Wisconsin - Where To Camp?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Ninjamini, May 8, 2013.

1. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

We've decided to go up to te camp inn factory to rent a 560 for a few days and test it out. The question is can I sleep in that small camper...claustrophobic you see. I went to visit one locally and laid in it, I think I could relax in it but its hard to say when I am in someone else's for 10 minutes. The relaxation and exhaustion of camping will put me in a different mindset. But I am rambling.

So the question is where should I camp up there? Some place beautiful, with trees and a stream or a river. Waterfalls nearby. Someplace with electric and water and a nice clean bathhouse.

We're going in June sometime...the question is which campground? Hey if anyone with kids wants to join us let me know. My kids are 7 & 13. They get a tent, until they camp in builds a double decker TD!

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

You might like Mirror Lake state park, near Baraboo, WI. Also, Wyalusing state park, near Prairie Du Chien, WI, at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. Both within a couple hours of Necedah.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The Camp Inn Camp Outt is held at a nearby county park. Offers all y ou are seeking.

The two Wisconsin state park Ken suggested are beautiful. Bluff views of Wyalusing over Mississippi is beautiful. Wyalusing has a newer bathhouse.

CHeck out local county parks around Necedah. Necedah area has many lakes. Water will be on cool side for swimming.

Excellant decision to "rent" at 560 and making the decision to travel to Wisconsin.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Don't rent it! You will be powerless to resist its charms. You will immediately succumb and plunk down all your money. Nobody has ever been able to escape its grasp (except George, hmmm....)

5. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Evan, I was watching a show on $1M rvs, my retirement dream since I am 21 has been to see America via rv. Well at 40ish I'm notvready for that. But in this show they showed a TD and I knew immediately I would get one. Fast frawd 2months of research and I have narrowed it down to two models. The camp inn 560 and the vistabule. The camp inn is just nicer, better build, better thought out.
    The vistabule has a kick but front window that lets you view the outside. Plus the bed folds up to a couch. Very cool. But they have sold less tan 10 of these so they have not developed the quality/skill of the camp inn.

Being clostraphobic I may have to opt for the big window. Thus the rental of a 560. If I can do 3 nights in the 560 ill feel a lot better. Living in Fort Lauderdale it's far to go to not come home with one.

Mr Ed, thanx for te suggestions. why is it called devil lake?

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Here are a couple possible explanations:
    How did Devil's Lake SP get it's name?

I think Devil's Lake SP is one of the busiest, if not THE busiest, state park in Wisconsin. We typically go there in early spring or late fall to avoid the crowd. It may be tough to book a campsite in June. Great hiking in the park and nearby - try nearby Parfrey's Glen for a nice hike.

8. 1Door

1Door Novice

The vistabule has a kick but front window that lets you view the outside. Plus the bed folds up to a couch.

If you would like to know my opinion....
    that large front window is going to be a waterfall of condensation droplets when you wake up in the morning, and ....
    nothing but a heat source during the daytime hours when you are NOT sitting inside on the "futon", and....
    when you are parked at a campsite with trees overhead, like most parks here in Florida, you won't even be able to see the stars at night thru it!!!!
    Think about it.
    Susan

9. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am always amazed at the people who go camping and then sit INSIDE their camper.....but I also understand that if you go camping a LOT, there are probably times when you say, "hmm, it's a bit windy out here, I am going to avoid the wind and sit inside for a bit." If you are only camping 20 days/year, like me, you relish that outdoors time even if it's less than optimal.

I don't see the need for a large window in the TD. For me, the inside of the TD is where I sleep, not where I hang out. And I LIKE being in my TD.

But I understand how some folks could think that a window would be preferable, and I also understand that there ARE people who like to simply "hang out" IN their TD while camping.

It may have more to do with the weather, than anything. California has near-perfect weather, so there is little need to be inside. Other places, the weather is more of a challenge. (as are the bugs)

-Al

10. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Check out Dexter Park it is a Wood county park north of Necedah about 25 mi. Very nice park with lake and cheaper than the state parks.

11. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Susan, alcat my love for the window is from the fact that I don't like small spaces. But we're are going up there torrent one and test if I Greek out.

12. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Ninjamini once you see it,touch it,sit in it,lay in it,your going to love it,and buy it. That's a lot of it's,good luck. :)

13. 1Door

1Door Novice

Save your money for the delivery cost, you have already seen one for 10 minutes and YOU CAN NOT HAVE YOUR 560 RAINDROP 1/2 SHIPPED! It will have to be delivered to the state of registration. There are other "campers" available that are larger for clas-phobic ...ALINER, AMELIA's , T@B's, etc. that are "bigger". If you haven't already been to an RV dealership here in Florida (LA-Z-DAYS for example) and seriously "shopped" with a salesman in a golf cart you need to do that. Our CAMP-INN TEARDROPS are meant for:
    Sleeping
    Ease of portability/towing
    At home garage storage
    Extra small campsites
    Fuel savings
    Convenience with no scheduled maintenance (oil changes etc.)
    FUN PER MILES
    Affordable insurance
    Easy to wash and keep clean
    Plenty of storage space for your clothes, food, equipment, etc.

CAMP-INN TEARDROPS have only 1 drawback:
    YOU CAN NOT STAND UP IN THEM!!!

If you want to sit inside and look out your "front window" sit in the car.

Welcome to the forum.
    Susan

14. 1Door

1Door Novice

Alan here;

The teardrop is a unique camper, having the best of all worlds. If one wants to look out the window, then go for it... however, most campers want to experience the world outside and that doesn't mean "seeing" it only. A teardrop affords the traveler the ability to see, as well as feel, the surrounding environment without the undo hassle of towing a heavy and bulky trailer plus the associated costs. It may be noted as well that small, or "lesser" in some eyes, means a greater advantage in the long run...

So I suggest you look, or experience, which ever you choose....

15. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Booking my campground for thetrip. What kind do I book? Tent? RV? Or trailer?

16. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

If asked, I say trailer (or rv); often they will ask the length, because some sites have length restrictions, so I say its 12ft long. They don't really care except that if you had a rv 30+ ft long, then you are limited in some campgrounds.

17. Bunni

Bunni Novice

We get one with water and electric. The "type" really doesn't matter.

Meribeth

18. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Some times in tent only spaces they won't allow trailers, even ours, so it is always safer to go with the trailer spots. I don't normally splurge on too many sites with water or electric. Here in Oregon, that means they are usually tent spots (some come with that, but not many and they usually allow our trailers in tent spaces as long as your car and trailer fit completely in the parking pad...there should be measurements for that on the websites). It all just depends on what kind of camping you want to do. We usually fit in tent spaces though, and it is less expensive.

19. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, what Sarah said... I simply ask them if the slot and hold 2 cars (11.5 actually as you can turn the trailer around sideways for 5' or at and angle and park car along side the hitch...
    I had to do that and they didn't really car as long as I wasn't sticking out...
    Salt Creek, WA...

https://plus.google.com/photos/108683042376142967861/albums/5825195365023913345

a little tight, but worth the view..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  20. slumry

slumry Novice

Hey Frank, we have reservations for Salt Creek in June and will be camping near where you did. What was the number of the site you camped at? I think I will have to turn our trailer has you did since the length of the pad is about one foot shorter than the combined length of our TV and trailer.

Also, have you noticed near the stairs that are cut into the rock a grove of trees where it constantly rains even though there is not a cloud in the sky? I think it is due to the heavy fog that somehow collections in the upper branches; strangest thing.