Hello And First Long Trip!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by fishbisquit, Jul 17, 2016.

1. fishbisquit

fishbisquit Novice

Aloha,
    We met a few of you last year as we were trying to decide on a 550 or 560. Some of you let us look at yours and then we stopped by the Summer gathering after we toured the factory. We decided on a 550 and were able to pick one up last Summer as the guys had one that was not picked up. We just got back from our first long distance trip. 14 days in the SW including Death Valley, Zion, Arches, Badlands. Starting from Minneapolis and circling back. Took a lot of photos of camper. Feel free to check out the album. So much fun! Thank you all for your help with deciding on this camper. Looking forward to many more trips!

Cheers,
    Emily and Dave

[​IMG]

20160517_swroadtrip_001 by fishbisquit posted Jul 17, 2016 at 12:06 PM

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sounds like you had a great trip! Nice pics, you did especially well with your 'blue hour' shots! We visited many of the same places last year - an incredible part of the country for sure.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

A 30-percenter who picked the 550 (less is more) over the 560 (more is better)! You made the right choice!

I hope I haven't offend any 560 owners (Cary told us that 70% of sales are now 560s) - we came close to going that route, but we are glad we got the 550.

birder526 and Evan like this.
  4. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

Hey Emily and Dave.

It's Jonathan, we took the tour together last year. Glad you got your camper and are having fun!

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

Congrats on your adventure and best wishes for many more!

6. JeremyB

JeremyB Junior Ranger Donating Member

Beautiful camp shot!!!

7. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for the great pictures. Would love to hear more details. We have a big trip coming up, covering similar ground (Arches, Zion, Canyonlands, Deadhorse Point).

Looks like you did a lot of pre-trip food prep. I wonder if that is typical of how folks approach long trips, or if that approach is unusual. (We don't do much pre-trip food prep.)

We loved Badlands when we visited 30+ years ago.....and we also loved Minnesota.

-Al

8. fishbisquit

fishbisquit Novice

@Wild Robot Hey Jonathan! Good to hear from you, hope all is well. Sounds like you got a 560? Would love to see some pictures!

@AlCat Hey Al, Yes we went out there a little with the food prep. We like to eat well when we camp but we did't want to spend a lot of time prepping and cooking at campsite. Also didn't want to have to shop on the road. So we prepped and made most meals ahead. We froze them in foil food containers. We packed our Yeti cooler with all frozen meals and only opened it once a day to remove the next days meal. We used our coleman cooler as our daily cooler. For cooking all we really had to do was to bake the meals. We did this in our dutch oven with coals. It all worked out pretty good.

9. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

that sounds like a solid approach to food, fishbiscuit.

-Al

10. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

Hey Fishbiquit,

Yes, I got one down in TN (totally tricked out), and was planning to go to Death Valley and Sand Dunes NP but it turns I'm moving to New York in a month sort of unexpectedly and I have to sell it after only 4 trips ! :(

11. sneakerwave

sneakerwave Novice Donating Member

Emily and Dave,
    I'd love to get a look at your itinerary for your SW trip. From your amazing pictures, you had some wonderful campsites. Would you be willing to share campground info? Although my real love is the green and ocean blue of the PacNW, I do have a real appreciation for the SW, as well, and just returned from a non-camping trip there. I hope to spend my next trip there camping.

[​IMG]

Josh Campbell and Evan like this.
  12. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Super images! Safe travels

13. Snudley

Snudley Novice

Wonderful pics. Someone has the eye.

14. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

GREAT photos! I love the whole album.....esp. all the shots with your pup enjoying the adventure! What's his/her name? What breed? It really makes me happy seeing these because we just got an Australian Shepherd puppy the end of June and I am really hoping he will love camping & hiking as much as your pup seems to! We named him, Ranger. :) Do you find (when taking your dog) that you have to plan your trips around parks that allow dogs on trails; or do most parks allow them? This will be our first pup to go camping with us, so all advice/tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

Casandra

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  15. Josh Campbell

Josh Campbell Newbie

What a great looking trip, and fabulous pictures. I (too) would love to hear more about your itinerary. Looks like you hit some amazing spots!!