Honda Pilot Tow Vehicle

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Julie/Duane in the Tardis, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Greetings to you all from Lodi CA. Have been towing our 550 CI teardrop (Tina the Tardis) with our 2017 Honda Pilot LX and we're pretty pleased with its performance and tow capacity. Our Pilot is front-wheel drive and I know some people like either 4WD or rear drive as tow vehicle, but we've experienced no problems while towing. The 3.5 liter V6 has 280 hp with 262 lb-ft torque. This pairs nicely with the 6-speed transmission that allows you to drop down into Low (1st, 2nd, 3rd gear) for steep climbs/descents and a D4 (gears 1-4) on grades requiring a higher speed. We can run comfortably uphill at 55-60 mph in 4th at 3500-4000 rpm. D4 also allows a bit of braking while descending. The car wheel base is as wide as Tina's and the whole package travels very nicely together. We like it much better than our Subaru Forester.
    Initially our main tow vehicle was a 2002 VW Eurovan Westfalia with 205 hp V6. We still use the VW if bad weather is forecast because we can climb inside and read or eat at the pop-up dinner table while the weather does as it pleases.
    Anyway just wanted to add our towing experience to the list of cars people might be considering as their tow vehicle. Hope to see you on the road.

Evan likes this.
  2. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'm considering a Honda Ridgeline which is the same platform at the Pilot so thanks for the info. On my current Honda CRV the trailer tow button is a D3 option and having one higher gear without hurting the trans would be nice.

3. Mary & Mark

Mary & Mark Newbie

We have a 2017 Ridgeline and it does a decent job of towing. Highway gas mileage drops from 25ish to around 22 mpg with the trailer behind. The D4 setting is somewhat helpful in hilly terrain. We also have a 2012 Subaru Outback with the 4 cyl engine and find it equally adept at towing our 560. Gas mileage drops from 30ish to 22ish when towing. The ability to choose specific "gears" with the Subaru's CVT is more effective than the Honda's D4 setting when you want engine breaking for downhill runs. The cruise control is also better. It holds speed very consistently while the Honda routinely drops 2 mph below set point before reacting.

4. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

Cary sent me this message in response to a question that I had about tongue weight yesterday: "Keep in mind that Outbacks are by far the most common tow vehicle we see towing 560 models. They do great."

5. NH Wanderlust

In our family over the years 2 Foresters, 1 Impreza, 1 Outback = 3 blown head gaskets, all at about 100,000 miles.

6. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I hope that I don't have your curse because my Outback is about 3,000 miles away from the century mark, and we'd like to keep it going for a few more years.

7. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

The pilot is very, very similar to my MDX and it does great as well and we are towing the 560. However, ours is AWD which is helpful here in Washington when the ground gets covered in white stuff.

8. NH Wanderlust

In February of 2019 Honda releases the Passport which looks like it may be a winner. Same platform, V6 engine, and 9 speed transmission as the Pilot and Ridgeline in a shorter 2 row seating style. Same engine and transmission in a shorter lighter configuration works for me.