Hypervent Vs Froli

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by hiadventurer, Sep 19, 2020.

1. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have the Froli With a regular mattress. BUT my Tri-fold is arriving today. I’ll let you know of any preliminary observations.

Jenn likes this.
  2. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

I'm curious to hear feedback about a trip fold mattress.

I've considered getting one in order to make it easier to keep the bed clean when loading cargo in the trailer...but I wonder how well it would work with sheets (we camp with sheets/blanket, not sleeping bags). Like, will the sheets/blanket be so much in the way that the mattress won't fold? When folded, will it block the cabinets?

3. LisaNKevin

We just removed our 2nd mattress from IKEA (which was very heavy and unwieldy to move and make up as it has no handles) and put the Milliard 4" tri-fold in. It's tight left to right but we are able to close the doors without much pressure. It's much lighter and easier to move than the IKEA. I can (if I have to) make the bed myself. We use a contour sheet, top sheet and lay a blanket on top.

Moving it fore & aft is a wee bit complicated by the Froli system underneath, it slides the system as a whole a few inches or so but it is easily dealt with and it doesn't really matter because your body weight doesn't go the few inches at the top or bottom. It is not as firm as the previous mattress and probably not quite as firm as the original, but it gives us a little more toe room. I don't think it brings it up higher than the original mattress. If you don't have the Froli, sliding should be easy.

The bottom 1/3 of the tri-fold won't fold UP, it will have to fold UNDER, if that makes sense. That means you have to fold the top over upon the middle ⅓ then pull it all up to get to the bottom corner if you want to put a contour sheet on or tuck it in. If you have a thick blanket, it may make folding a little incomplete. Sheets should fold up fine. I didn't try it.

I'll update when we've done an overnighter. Let me know if that didn't answer anyone's questions. :)

Kevin S, Jenn and Jim Carter like this.
  4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

You can secure the Froli to the deck with some stainless steel wood screws if that would help.

Kevin S, LisaNKevin and hiadventurer like this.
  5. LisaNKevin

It probably would, but I really don’t think I could stomach drilling holes into such a work of art Though I did to install a paper towel holder.

KarenBee, Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  6. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

I drilled two very small screws into the cabinet door for an iPad holder and almost lost my lunch.

7. Randy

I know what you mean. I spent four hours installing my paper towel holder to be sure I didn’t make any mistakes! :)

It’s just decking under the mattress though, nobody will see it!

Kevin S and LisaNKevin like this.
  8. Jeff & Connie

Jeff & Connie Newbie

Did you set up the tri fold as a sofa? If so, was their enough room to sit on it comfortably? Does it damage the froli or is it painful to crawl around the cabin on the froli. In the 560 we want to set up the tri-fold to face the windows (couch). Thanks for any help on this issue.

Kevin S likes this.
  9. LisaNKevin

I don't have a 560 so I can't comment to that but I can't imagine sitting or crawling on the Froli would be very comfortable. The square pieces that lock onto the frame can be easily removed and replaced though.
    We went camping Monday night nearby and my husband declared the tri-fold to be more comfortable than the IKEA we had on it. Bed making will be much easier.

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  10. Randy

Ya, I agree. You certainly wouldn’t be able “crawl” over Froli springs and it wouldn’t be very comfortable resting your feet on them. I suppose you could be that section unfastened to the floor and lift them out while in couch mode.

Randy

LisaNKevin likes this.
  11. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

You could put a thin closed cell foam pad over the froli to keep the springs in place. If you leave a section loose so you can pull that section out but you will probably have to re-attach a few springs every time. It seems more trouble than it is worth doing if you already have the couch to sit on during bad weather.

hiadventurer and Randy like this.
  12. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

There are four storage bins under the mattress. Does the Froli System interfere with access to these bins? Does the Froli System stay interlocked when you roll up the mattress / froli to access the under bed storage? I watched the youtube where the presenters screwed the Froli to the bottom plywood, and the following one where they double-sided taped the Froli. This won't work on the CampInn, so does the Froli move, bunch, or otherwise become askew during multiple sleep nights? I have a hypervent that works, but doesn't have any cushion effect. Also, I do not have a topper, but it sounds like the Froli provides some cushion, making the topper less necessary. I'm interested about answers to the question posed and also any opinions by CampInn owners. Thanks.

13. M&L

M&L Ranger

Old_Prospector, I can't speak from personal experience, but from searching through the available threads in this forum, I've gleaned that the Froli apparently stays together most of the time when accessing the storage compartments, but occasionally does get unlinked when lifting storage compartment lids (though they snap right back together fairly easily). Someone had a solution where they screwed the Froli segments over the compartments to the compartment lids themselves. The one thing that seems apparent is that the people that have the Froli all seem to love it.

I'm digging though the various options now. For the time being, I'm going to use a 2-inch (non-memory) foam topper. If I see condensation on some of our extended trips, I'm toying around with ordering these [Comfort Tile Self-Draining Antimicrobial Matting - DuraGrid] for under the mattress. They won't provide the comfort/support of the Froli, but I think I only need the foam topper so I'm not too worried about it. I feel like they would provide better ventilation than some of the other options due to the more open nature of the mats...but I won't be sure until I try it. My biggest for ANYTHING that goes under the mattress is what effect it would have on the wood below. If I do end up pulling the trigger, I'll make sure to leave a review here in the forum.

KarenBee and Kevin S like this.
  14. Randy

OP, I attached the Froli to the deck with some stainless steel wood screws, including a section over each of the storage lids that allows me to easily remove them keeping the Froli in place. Hope that helps! My favorite mod I have ever made, very comfortable.

Randy

[​IMG]

Kevin S, PrairieVikings and M&L like this.
  15. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

I started by leaving the Froli unattached and it mostly stayed together when accessing the storage bins. I would have to reattach a piece half the time, it was not a big deal but I also used stainless screws to attach the Froli base to the deck. I have the sections attached to each of the storage bin covers that are not attached to the rest of the Froli so each cover can be removed. I am very happy with the result. I was not worried about drilling into the deck because I will never remove the Froli after sleeping on it.

Kevin S and M&L like this.
  16. Old_Prospector

Thanks to all for responding. Randy, your solution of separate groupings and attachment is a Eureka moment! It makes perfect sense.

Randy and M&L like this.
  17. LisaNKevin

We got the queen. Good fit.

Kevin S and Jenn like this.
  18. Old_Prospector

I purchased and installed the Froli Star System, for my 560 CampInn. Focusing on the photo below, the Froli array in the foot area is 4 rows by 9 columns.

View attachment upload_2021-1-24_20-6-56.png

This array is separate and not connected to the arrays on the right side of the photo, which cover storage bins. Spacing of the Froli base elements in the foot area is medium in both the row and column directions. Base element portions at the walls were trimmed off (using heavy duty scissors) to achieve a clean appearance. Otherwise tabs would have curved up the walls vertically. Using #8 x 5/8” screws, with washer, the foot area was anchored in 8 places (corners and 1/3 & 2/3 midepoints). Pilot holes were drilled into the base element (solid portion away from tabs or holes), then screwed down. Photo of the base element below will help explain differences between narrow, medium, and wide spacing.

View attachment upload_2021-1-24_20-8-40.png

Froli is a German company, so dimensions are designed in millimeters. Base elements are symmetrical horizontally and vertically. Tabs are defined as the protrusions about ½ inch in from the ends of the cross. Narrow spacing is achieved by snapping the hole closest to the center onto the tab of the next base element. Medium is the middle hole and wide is the hole at the end. Use the embossed arrow on each piece (important) to align all the base elements in the same direction.

Base Elements Dimensions:
    · Cross Length: 206 mm; 8-1/8”
    · Tab to Narrow Hole: 148 mm; 5-13/16”
    · Tab to Medium Hole: 163.5 mm ; 6-27/64”
    · Tab to Wide Hole: 179 mm; 7-1/32”
    · Hole Diameter 10 mm; 13/32”

View attachment upload_2021-1-24_20-11-19.png

The protrusion in the center of the base element is the connection for the spring set. The spring set is simply pushed on this protrusion with the slot fittings in alignment and then rotating the spring set 90 degrees to secure it in place.

The dimensions for the tab to holes above is also the dimension of the spacing between spring sets. To ensure that last spring set has room to fit, 140 mm (minimum dimension), or 5-1/2 inches must be added to the calculated distance.

Totally array distances (add 140 mm for end spring sets):
    · Narrow Spacing - 10 Spring Sets, 9 Spaces: (9x148) + 140 = 1472 = 58”
    · Medium Spacing - 9 Spring Sets, 8 Spaces: (8x163.5) + 140 = 1448 = 57”

The bed in the CampInn is 58 inches wide, so spacing can be either narrow (10 spring sets) or medium (9 spring sets). As mentioned earlier the foot area in my trailer was set to medium spacing.

Next, the storage bin area is a challenge, especially if you desire to remove the lid from each of the four bins separately. Accurate measurements are key. My trailer has the spare tire stored in a bin, which means the two bins on the starboard side (passenger side of the trailer as it is pulled by the vehicle) are wider than the two on the port side.

The width and length dimensions for the bins is in the same orientation as the overall trailer length (hitch to galley) and width tire to tire). Bin lid dimensions are important for the fit of the Froli system. All the bins are the same length, and the bin lids are 21-3/4” long. The bin lid widths on the starboard side are 21-3/4” while only 18-3/8” on the port side.

The photo below shows the Froli arrays over the storage bins, with the lids partially removed for clarity. Each array is 4 rows by 5 columns using the narrow spacing in both directions. Froli recommended narrow spacing for my weight. I did not arrange the foot area with narrow spacing, because medium spacing is adequate for leg support.

View attachment upload_2021-1-24_20-14-23.png

Each 4 x 5 array is attached by screws, with washers, near the four corners of each lid. Hence, each lid can be individually removed for access to the bin without lifting adjacent support arrays.

Actually all the base elements were assembled as one large 8 x 10 array. Then, after confirming the large array fit over the lids, it was cut into 4 separate 4 x 5 arrays. (Hint: Think, Plan and Measure as often as necessary, then repeat). Again base element excesses were trimmed away with scissors to eliminate conflicts with the walls and adjoining bins. On the near side of the photo (starboard side) there is only one column of spring sets beyond bin lid, while the port side has two columns of springs sets. I reasoned that Froli support is stronger and more robust when connected in larger rectangular arrays, which would not be the case for the areas between the bin lids and outer wall, where only single or double wide Froli strips can be used. There was a wood support by the cabin doors that resulted in two spring sets being slightly mis-shapened, but with the mattress in place it is not noticeable, nor is the Froli structure a concern.

My trailer has a slightly different dimension from the port wall to the bin lids, 8-1/4”, and starboard lids were 7-3/4” to the adjacent wall. You may not notice, but there is trailer floor construction of 2-3/4” wide between the couch and forward lids, and 2-1/4” wide between the forward and aft lids.

Some of the spring sets include (red) tensioners. I tend to sit on the edge of the bed at the door to put my shoes on, and felt the Froli array would support this area better with tensioners. The remaining tensioners are positioned in the hip area of a reposed (sleeping) person.

In summary the Froli Star System for a Queen Bed size includes 120 base elements, 120 spring sets, and 20 tensioners. The spring sets are proportioned to 100 firm units and 20 softer ones. The softer ones are recommended for the shoulder area. I used 36 sets in the foot area array, and 20 sets for each storage bin array, which comes to a total of 116 sets. I have 4 spares of base elements and spring sets should anything unforeseen happen to any of the Froli units.

As part of this project, I replaced my original CampInn mattress (an excellent OEM mattress) with an Inofia trifold, 4-inch-thick mattress. This mattress has 2-1/2 inches of high-density foam, sandwiched with 1-1/2 inches of memory foam on the top. I reasoned that accessing items from the storage bins would be easier with a folding mattress, as would making up the bed with clean sheets. I purchased the Froli for addition comfort that the cushiony Star System provides. Also, it replaced a hypervent that ensured breathable underlayment, but provided no cushion effect.

I would like to thank all the folks that have contributed to this thread. Without your knowledge it’s likely I wouldn’t have become aware of this option. The Froli Star System is distributed by Nickle Atlantic, who seem to be fully committed. It is a husband / wife operation, with maybe a couple other employees, but their company appears to be on good financial footing. There are three YouTube reviews that I am aware, and each offers purchase discounts. Nickle Atlantic honored the one I mentioned, and actually had a Christmas Holiday discount slightly better. I hope my experience with the install, with pictures and dimension, is helpful to Forum members looking to upgrade. Remember my CI is a 2015 Model 560, so I cannot provide dimension for the 550.

19. New 560 owner here, #1035, and I have a question. When Cary was showing me the camper last week, I mentioned my plan to install a Froli system. He said that the Froli system comes with its own mattress or pad and that you can't use the provided mattress and be able to get all the functionality out of the love seat. Specifically, he was referring to making the love seat flat to use as an extension of the sleeping area or to use it as a flat bench to sit on.

Everything I have seen in this forum does not mention this, so before I spring for a Froli setup (get the pun?) I wanted to get some clarification. Can someone help?

Oh, also there is a 20% off coupon code for Black Friday, BFCM, good until 11/30, so if I'm going to buy a Froli system I want to do it before that date.

Thanks!

Kevin S likes this.
  20. We have the Froli in our 560 and are quite pleased with it. It did not come with a separate mattress and we use the camp-inn mattress that came with our Raindrop. The Froli system just adds a few inches of elevation. Haven’t found it cause any functional problem with using the various couch configurations, but we usually keep the couch area it in the bunk position.

Kevin S likes this.