Interior heaters/furnaces

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by birder526, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

The oil lamps are a different idea - they do give off quite a bit of heat. Not sure if there is any fire danger concern or oxygen depletion.

We use a little ceramic heater.

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

+1 On the ceramic heater. A blow dryer would work, too. If there's no electrical hookup the oil lamps would probably do the trick, but I'd personally be concerned about O2 issues. Cracking the windows would solve that issue though. Very nautical...

3. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

My intent is to use the lamps with the windows or fan door open a bit and to close things up and turn off the lamps once the chill is gone. I want to be able to get some warmth when I'm at campsites with no electricity which are what I usually try to find. It has been my experience that campsites with hookups are a lot noisier than the tent sites. The air conditioner is to be used more as a dehumidifier once the camping trip is over in an effort to get the mattress and everything else nice and dry.

These lamps worked well in the boat and needed to be on for only a short time, and as I mentioned, there was no insulation. The ocean was only an inch and a quarter away on the other side of the planking.

4. Ken & Peggy

Makes good sense to me.

NH Wanderlust likes this.
  6. We live in the Ozarks of Arkansas and we only purchased the AC; however, we have slept in 20 degree whether. We have an electric small furnace that run us out in 5 min. We usually use our electric blanket; however, I sometimes do not have electricity and I have a "My Heat Buddy." It is like a hot water bottle. I have a Halo Bolt that I bought from QVC and it has a one, ten outlet and I plug the "My Heat Buddy" into it for 7 min or less and I put by my feet or you can put your hand in the hand pocket. It will provide heat a couple of hours. The "Halo Bolt" is real nice as it is small and it will jump start vehicles, it has a flash light on it, and a one/ten outlet. I also purchased a set of "Polar Fleece Sheets" from QVC, and they are so warm and comfortable. Even my husband likes those.

7. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

Well, I have come to the conclusion that the little oil lamps, while being romantic and providing a good deal of warmth, were a bad idea. I keep banging into them, Lane hates the smell of the "odorless" lamp fuel, they interfere with the bunk bed set-up, and there is too much chance of breaking the delicate hurricanes, sending tiny bits of glass who knows where which probably will lodge into an eye or ear sometime during the night. They have been replaced with an electric mattress pad which lacks ambience but has certain other favorable traits.

NH Wanderlust likes this.
  8. utmck

utmck Newbie

Can someone show pics of their ceramic heaters?

9. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I have one similar to the DeLonghi. Get the lowest power one you can find. The Camp-Inn is such a small space it doesn't take much.

11. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

12. Ken & Peggy

A hair dryer would be enough to warm up the camper. It doesn't have a thermostat, though...

13. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Looking very good