Introduction and a plea for help

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by rotus8, May 9, 2014.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Hello, my name is Ted and my wife and I live near the little town of La Honda in northern California. We have a deposit on a Camp Inn scheduled for delivery in October. We have been tent campers our entire lives, but are now to an age where we are ready for the easy set-up, hard sides, waterproof, functional kitchen, and all the rest that goes with a Camp Inn. We are dedicated boondocks campers. Our primary tow vehicle is a Nissan Xterra Off-road, the secondary is a restored and "warmed up" 1936 Dodge pickup.

Here is the place where we need help - choosing between a 550 or 560. We have been going back and forth on it for weeks and are still dead center. We love the 550 for its compact size, classic shape, and easy pulling. The 560 is great for its extra room and a nice place to spend time if the great outdoors is being cranky and unpleasant. I find that sitting up on the bed of the 550 is not comfortable for me because of the curved roof line overhead. My wife is not too enamored of the 560 styling (says it looks like a horse trailer!), she likes the traditional image of a teardrop. They are both so nice, very similar, but trading the size and shape for the internal space is a very difficult decision for us.

We expect to own the Camp Inn for a long time and don't want to think back and regret our choice. The difference in price is only a minor consideration as we expect to amortize it over many years.

I know that every owner is different and has their own personal priorities but I am interested in hearing how you decided to get the model you did. Hopefully we can learn from your choices and actually make a decision before Cary actually starts building it.

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

So you've made the most important first decision.. A CI! Now it's just whether the 550 or the 560? Hmm... I have the 550. It is just me (not a couple) and sitting up inside isn't a big deal for me.

So, from your listed reasons of "why one vs. the other"... since you have been tent campers, do you currently have (or plan to get) nice chairs for sitting outside? Will the lack of the couch be a hassle? Do you plan on watching the TV (if you get the TV option) frequently? I know for inclement weather, being inside is a bonus, and potentially setting up an outside shelter anyway (when you thought maybe you were all done with that fun stuff) so you have a comfortable space to sit be a big negative or not?

I tend to setup the REI Alcove if I'm going to setup a shelter for sun shade or rain protection, and with the side walls even with a pretty decent rain storm I was dry and comfy outside under that. There's plenty of other shelters as well, the Northern Breeze is a popular choice for many reasons. But again--in both cases you are back to framing up something and setting up a tent. If the whole point was to never (or extremely rarely) ever do that again EVER... you'll likely want the 560. If setting up a tent just for shade/bugs/rain is something you were going to do regardless of 550/560... then the 550 will be fine, IMO.

So... there's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth (keeping in mind I'm currently drinking a mojito so my judgment might be flawed. maybe.)

3. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Let's seeā€¦.You have two tow vehicles. Cost is not an issue. I'd say get one of each.

Ted, I'm just impressed that your wife is letting you think you actually have a vote in this. But I'm with you. I like the classic teardrop look as opposed to a horse trailer. We've been able to be comfortable sitting up reading and watching movies without a problem. We also spend precious little time inside unless we're sleeping. If the weather or bugs are a problem, we move on to somewhere better.

Good luck.

4. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Novice

How tall are you?

Over 6 foot? I would definetly look at the 560.

Good luck in your decision.

5. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Do you have grand kids (or are they possibility in the future)? We have a younger child, and those bunks are sure nice to keep wandering arms and legs at bay in the middle of the night. They always seem to find that one really painful spot and dig in with their toes.

That is why we went with the 560, plus we have so-so weather most of the year and 3 of us in there requires a bit more room.

6. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

We went with looks...550 classic

7. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

We went for "lightness", gas mileage, and space efficiency--550 Classic!

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The 550 certainly has a bit more going for it in the classic looks department. That said, I think the 560 adds a degree of comfort and functionality that greatly enhances the overall camping experience. If you will only ever use your trailer to sleep because you plan to spend all of your time outdoors, then I don't think you would miss the couch. However, having the couch sure makes the idea of poor weather camping more appealing.

You'll love your Camp-Inn whichever way you choose. I think ultimately it's a choice between looks and functionality.

9. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Have you had an opportunity to see both?

10. rotus8

Thank you all for your supportive comments. Yes, we have seen both, and some very friendly and enthusiastic owners.

We are now playing a game imagining a couple of years in the future with the conversation going something like "Well, I wish we had gotten the [550|560] because ..."

11. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

You're doomed no matter which one you choose because you WILL be second guessing with the "what if". But who cares....you'll still have great fun in which ever one you pick (ours is the 550).

As for spending time inside: don't worry. We've been caught in many storms and find the 550 is just fine. Toss a few pillows behind the back, grab a book (or a computer if you're like my husband, Jim) and away ya go.

Camp On,

Sue and Jim says

12. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Personally for one person the 550 is perfect.

My vote, get the 560 for two people, grandkids, and rainy weather when you want to be inside.

I agree, reclining on the curved roof line is uncomfortable.

The look of the 560 is very eye catching IMO.

Jean

13. David Olson

David Olson Novice

The extra 2 feet on the 560 is not much of an issue for boondocking. We are off the beaten track all the time.
    It does look like a horse trailer, that is why we tell people it is for our miniature show ponies. We love the looks of ours.

14. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

You'll be happy either way you go. We bought a used 550 Ultra and find it to have all the room we need. We did sit in a 560, on the couch, and it was very comfortable. I bought a couple 'bed pillows', the ones with arms, and they are also very comfortable - no issue with the curved wall, etc. I'm 6 ft fwiw. Enjoy whatever choice you make!

15. Snudley

Snudley Novice

We are loving the extra room the 560 affords us, but have used the couch for sitting far less than we imagined thus far. It's been great, though, as a place to leave my guitar and our personal items/reading materials when we are inside in the evenings. When sitting on the bed, we just stack up a couple of pillows against the bottom of the couch and are quite comfortable. Also, the couch is a bit far from the tv if we are watching a movie.

You can't underestimate the advantage of the light you get from the wrap around windows and sun roof. It truly opens up the feel of the camper.

16. CampMech

CampMech Novice

Hi Ted, Our 560 will be ready in October too so our Camp Inns will be siblings! The 560 was the only choice for us as we have 2 small children. Otherwise, we would have trouble deciding for all the same reasons. Good luck with your decision.

17. rotus8

Thanks to all who participated.

And our decision is ............ Raindrop!

I am sure we would be happy in either one but the extra room will be very nice. And I just ordered our license plate. Now the long wait to put the plates on the PONY INN.

[​IMG]

18. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The real choice was to get a Camp-Inn. Congrats!
    Minor decisions just add to the fun. You won't regret it.

19. jbonham

jbonham Newbie

My wife and I have a 560 Ultra and really like the small couch to sit and read on a rainy afternoon. We also have used the bunk bed for our grand daughter.

20. 1Door

1Door Novice

Giddy Up!!