Is Subaru Outback 4 cylinder sufficient?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Dan Howett, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Dan Howett

Dan Howett Newbie

Our 550 is on order for pickup this summer. My wife loves her 2008 Outback 4-cylinder and we're thinking about getting another one after giving this one to the kids.

Is the 4 cylinder (2.5l) model sufficient for pulling the 550? Our camper is coming with electric brakes.

Any particular features on the Subaru we should focus on?

I appreciate any insight you can offer.

2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Perfectly fine and capable vehicle, I have forester and it pulls my trailer with a breeze.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cary and Craig will confirm the Subaru Outback is the number 1 tow vehicle for the teardrop.

Craig tows with an older Outback. I currently have a 2010 4 cylinder Outback. Have towed with (current teardrop #2) and without( Teardrop#1) electric brakes.

My driving style is with a heavy foot, I love passing full size pick up trucks pulling travel trailers up a big hill, smiling as I pass them! True the gas mileage suffers, but I have no regrets. Brakes and tires wear out faster because of towing. I perform regular routine maintenance on the Subaru, which to me is good use of my money.

Soon I will be towing a 560 with the Outback, which is a little heavier. Suspect I will have to change my driving style some.

Jean

4. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear Jean W. Do you have the 2.5L or the 3.6? Thank you so much for your help on the forums.

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Lorie and Keith,

2.5 L is a four cylinder boxer engine
    3.6 is the 6 cylinder boxer engine

Jean

6. Quinny

Quinny Novice

I hope the 4 cylinder is enough; picking up ours this week. Bought it silver to match our (hopefully arriving Thursday) Camp Inn!

7. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Quinny,
    We have a 4 cylinder Subaru.
    The only time it really slowed was heading west from Bishop to Lake Sabrina. But then, the grade is so steep, everyone was chugging.

See you in Lake Perris in March?? Look at teardroptime website for info.

Eileen

8. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We pulled our new 550 home with a 2015 Outback with the 4 cylinder. It did fine. Revved into the 3000-3500 RPM range on some hills. With 2 bikes on top I got 22 MPG.

9. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Glad to hear that you all are having luck with yours! And thanks Eileen, I'll look into that convention!

Quinny

10. Dean Pinter

Dean Pinter Novice

We pull our 560 Raindrop w/a '07 Subaru Forester 4 cylinder and have no problems.

11. birder526

birder526 Novice

Congratulations on your new teardrop this week! Happy trails!

12. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

Another 2-cents worth. We have a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i. Tim replaced the stock (disposable) air filter with a (permanent) K&M air filter. He also added a Hayden transmission cooler (very easy on our model - there was a nice spot at the front of the engine compartment to accommodate it).

So far, the most challenging towing has been the coulee region of Iowa and Wisconsin - lots of roly-poly hills.

13. Chuck

Chuck Novice

Glad for all the confirmation on the Subaru. We will be pulling our 550 Ultra, due in September, with our 2015 2.5L. This week we had the wiring completed for the 7 prong plug and electric brake controller.

Chuck & Martha
    New Smyrna Beach, Fl
    550 Ultra in September

14. Quinny

Quinny Novice

Ditto on the thanks for the input. I love this forum; everyone is so kind and helpful!

15. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

Here is one more 2 cent opinion on this old thread. I just sold my 4 cyl. Outback and bought a new 6. I was never too happy with the way it towed in the mountains as it just seemed like too much strain on the small motor. The 6 costs a good chunk of change more but we are so happy with it. Smoother, quieter, faster with or without the trailer. Since 2017 I think, they use the CVT so the mileage penalty now is slight but the driving satisfaction is great.

Jenn likes this.
  16. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Depends on where you live how much you'll enjoy the 4 cyl. Flat...fine, mountains...you'll with you had a 6 cyl.

Jenn likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My 2017 Outback 3.6L Touring weights 3,856 pounds and my 560 weights 1,365 pounds. That is 5,261 pounds empty. The 3.6 engine produces 256 hp at 6,000 RPM or 20.055 pounds per hp. This ratio is enough to pull the trailer 100 mph on level ground.

The 2.5i engine produces 175 hp at 5,800 RPM and 174 foot pounds of torque at 4,000. RPM. That means each horsepower has to pull 28.735 pounds. The 2.5i weights about 260 pounds less is you checked my math.

The 3,642 pound 2.5i without the trailer pulls 20.811 pounds or roughly the same as the 3.6L WITH the trailer.

My recommendation would be for the 3.6L if pulling a heavier 560 with options and the 2.5i for the 550 with few options. I pulled my 2007 Little Guy (900 pounds) with a Toyota 22R engine but I did so at 45 MPH going over the passes. Keep in mind I don't pull as fast as I can but rather as fast as I want the engine to work.

So yes you can pull a trailer with a four banger all day and all night but after about 100,000 miles it will begin to take it's toll. My Outback is a dedicated TV and I hope to pull the trailer at least 200,000 miles. I expect 90% of those miles to be pulling the trailer.