Italian Bread Wedges

Discussion in 'Breads' started by Oysterpot, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I made these tonight, using a 10 in DO, and I reduced measurements accordingly. I also used the base recipe bread dough from "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day". The dough was over 2 weeks old.
    The recipe is from the blog "Dutch Oven Madness"

Excellent bread sticks

Italian Bread Wedges
    14" dutch oven
    3 tsp. active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 tsp. sugar
    2 Tbs. oil
    1 tsp. salt
    2 1/2-3 cups flour
    Topping:
    1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. dried oregano
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    dash pepper
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
    Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough flat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Press into an oiled 14" dutch oven. Spread with salad dressing. Combine the garlic powder, oregano, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over the dough. Top with cheeses. Bake a 450* for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. I used 26 coals on top and 14 on the bottom. Be sure to preheat the lid of you DO. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Serves 10-12.