Lightspeed Outdoors Privacy Tent/Shower Room

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mcjimjam, May 30, 2016.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

After months of scouring the Internet for this tent, only to find it out of stock, everywhere, I just found it's back on Costco's website. Good price that includes shipping and handling, and Costco's money back guarantee. Ordered one, and we'll give it a try, as a changing room for wet bathing suits at the lake and river.
    It's the same tent that Jay & Valerie modified to use as a side entrance tent.

http://www.costco.com/.product.1045875.html

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I have one of these.... they're not bad on set up...
    Suggest the wooden block for the floor on a mat as water will build up in the tub part.. or, I forget it's been awhile, the shower wood blocks on the outside.

Only other thing is nailing it down for winds...

Coulee Dam-0177.jpg

3. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jim & Jamie,
    Good find! We like our LiteSpeed, my wife uses it primarily for a changing tent.

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Yep, I used the Lightspeed tent to create our Side Entrance Tent. I did find another manufacturer that has the exact same tent from Kamp Rite. After waiting and waiting for Lightspeed to get back in stock, I finally broke down and ordered the Kamp Rite. Identical poles and everything. The very next week, Lightspeed got them back in stock. LOL

5. mcjimjam

Isn't that always the way?!! I guess we all have you to thank then, Jay & Valerie!!!

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I've found that the "shade peeps" don't do much until Summer gears up...

I had a broken Quik Shade frame, ordered in about Oct... out of stock... finally got the part around May or so, when they restarted production... sort of a surprise.. heheh, but just know they aren't readily available all the time..

7. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am interested in how folks use this. Do you keep it "up" from the time you set up until you break down the camp, or do you pop it up and down over the course of the trip?

I'm wondering how it is to have this "permanently" outside your door (i.e., when sleeping with the TD door open. Also, how do you get "out" of the tent once you are dressed?....If the "door" from the tent matches to the door of the TD, there is no door to the outside....

Thanks for edumacating me!

-Al

8. Jay & Valerie

Al, check out my video. You can see how we modified ours so that it attaches to the trailer around the door so you can climb in/out of the trailer, get dressed, etc. and then exit the privacy tent via the zippered door.

Basically, we cut a big hole in the side of the privacy tent, sewed on some panels to cover the gap between the tent and trailer, hemmed up the edges of the hole so it won't frey and faced the zippered door to the back galley area.

It works great.

9. AlCat

Thanks. I watched your video after I had posted my question. I'm still not sure how someone uses this side tent if they haven't done your mods....

(Thanks, also, for posting your video, as it's always interesting to see how someone else sets up.)

-Al

10. Jay & Valerie

I think others are just setting up the tent as a potty/changing tent somewhere on their site. Works for changing clothes into bathing suits, etc. It might be close to the trailer somewhere but still a stand along tent.

11. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

We use the Lite Speed primarily for a changing tent for my wife. We can both use it as a potty tent for those midnight outings where you don't feel like hiking to a far off bathroom. When boondocking we will use it as a shower too.

It's generally about 5-10 feet from the trailer, just depends on the campsite layout and configuration. I posted an image below, you can see it's just steps from her side of the trailer.

[​IMG]

fpoole likes this.
  12. AlCat

thanks for the info, folks. Interesting to see how different folks do this. We have not bought a side tent/changing tent/loo tent/shower tent, but I am thinking about it.

-Al

13. mcjimjam

Our Lightspeed Outdoors Privacy Tent from Costco just arrived. That was quick! Unfortunately, we have decided to return it. We set it up in our den, and while it is a really nice tent, we feel it is more tent than we need. For the past 4 years, we have been using one of those one piece Pop-up privacy tents (folds up flat, like a sunscreen for a car's windshield). It has served us well, my only complaint being that rainwater pools on the top, which can present a problem. I was looking for something a little beefier, that wouldn't leak, so I ordered the Lightspeed. As I said, it is a really nice tent, but we don't feel we need something that large. It set up quickly, for Jim. I had trouble compressing the hub, being "vertically challenged", I just couldn't get the leverage needed. Since we only use it in warm weather for changing wet bathing suits, we'll stick with our simple Pop-up tent, and rig up an old umbrella to use as a rainfly. You think I would know by now to "keep it simple, stupid!!" Lucky for us, Costco has a great return policy!

Jamie