Long Haul summer trip

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by David Olson, Aug 14, 2013.

1. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Becky and I just got home from our summer trip from June 13th to August 13th, 2013. We camped 55 nights, drove 8,176 miles, went to 18 National Parks and Monuments. This is such a big beautiful country. We saw near 4,000 year old Bristlecone pine trees in Great Basin Nat. Pk. along with their beautiful light pollution free night sky, 2 grizzly bear cubs that came out of no where to within 45 yards of me in Wyoming thankfully no mother was with them, the beautiful Nebraska sand hills, glaciers of Mt. Rainer, lava tubes in Lava Beds Nat. Mon., the ocean, the Redwoods. We rafted on a glacial river near Olympic Nat. Pk., camped in Hells Canyon in Idaho, never go in there if the road is muddy, it took me 4 washings to get the mud off it had an unusual stick to it.
    We were on road and off road on this trip and loved it.
    We only saw one other CI at a camp ground in Olympic Nat. Pk.
    Tow Vehicle 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    560 Ultra #541
    http://trackmytour.com/R2WF3

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Wow! Oly, you are living my dream! Sounds like a great trip - our goal is to hit as many NP's (hopefully all of them) as we can. I haven't yet checked the link you included - hopefully you've got plenty of pics, too.

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Holy Moley, great trip.. and the app looks interesting too... fun..

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Oly sounds like a fun trip and there is plenty to see in the USA.

5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

It was sure a great trip. It is always good to be home to.
    Man is that camper a people catcher. We finally got so at times we would come out of a place and run to our vehicle get in and not look directly at anyone just so we wouldn't get stopped.
    More often than not one of the first 2 questions out of someones mouth was "how much does it cost". Our answers got to be "depends" or "tinycamper.com" It was easy to tell if someone was really interested or just snoopy.
    I don't mind telling someone what what it costs if they really seem interested but I never stop and ask someone what their house cost just because I would like to know.
    Depending on the campground we would try to park our vehicle so that it would somewhat block the view of the camper such in the picture above at Rainer.
    Now the cleanup to get ready for Tears by the River and CICO.
    We need 10 more nights out to have our 100 nights for the first year.

6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Great Trip...

Parking:
    I park my truck diagonally for two reasons, one to block and a little more privacy and also if not in a place for any length of time, I just keep the cooler in the back since critters etc and don't have to lift it up and down (YETI 75)

Costs:
    I just tell them it starts at about $5-6k then add options... Everytime I get asked and actually tell them the apx costs I always get a "Whoa, I could build one cheaper than that and look at you like a stupid phool for spending all that.. the TD builders are the worst.. I never tell them any more and when they come over to A-Hem "Admire the Camp Inn"... it's only to figure out the best way of doing their's or "..Oh,that's how they did that..". Not really "Admiring" it, more like "how to..." for them.
    (hmm, can't seem to get the image to work right)
    [​IMG]

7. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

What a great trip. Next time you are in the area, give a shout out. I am sure that some of us in the Northwest would love to meet you. Can't remember if you are signed up for CICO but hope to see you then.

8. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Jenn,
    Yes hit the track my tour link, each day we posted a picture and did some writing.
    Not a trip of a lifetime it is the first of many lifetime trips in our CI.
    No ours is not just like yours. But it is silver.
    We will be at CICO.

9. 1Door

1Door Novice

You know...We love our little 2NA CAN and she is spoiled rotten...but I just can't even imagine spending so many consecutive days and nights with her!!!!! You all just amaze me!!!!
    And as for Jenn, Bear, Mike and Carol... "we're not worthy!!"
    Bows to you all!!

10. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I think I actually sleep better in our 560 than I do at home.
    It was so nice to not really hear any world or local news for 2 months. I think I read 2 news papers one small town and one U.S. News and maybe saw 2 hours of TV news. I didn't miss any of the mayhem. I really think that adds to a good nights sleep, and oh a spouse I really get along well with.
    Once I get thru Bow season I will be ready to go again.

11. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

wow you are living my dream, very nice trip

12. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

Good morning Oly

Looks like you had a great trip. Congratulations on completing your Long Haul, and you are also over half way to your 100 days.

Jim H & Sue Z

13. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Thanks Jim,
    Look closely though to the right of my 50 night icon. You will see a +40 there. We only have 10 more nights to go for our 100 nights the first year. Which I fully intend to get. I'm just chompin" at the bit to get going again.
    The camper has been cleaned and we weeded everything out that we won't take again.
    No if I can just get Becky to quite picking up rocks (boulders) for her yard. Easily added a couple hundred pounds to our return weight. Oh well at least it is a cheap hobby.

14. What a nice trip! Nice to see you are enjoying your retirement.
    Becky, I'm glad I'm not the only one who brings rocks (boulders) home with them. It's a nice little memento for the garden I think. Look forward to seeing pics and hearing about your trip around the next campfire.

15. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

I am having a flashback of Lucile Ball and Desi Arnez in Long Long Trailer!! We used to keep a copy in the motorhome to remind us not to collect rocks. We had camping friends who she was always picking up rocks so we gave it to her. If you haven't seen it, it is worth renting.

16. Ken & Peggy

I told Peggy this weekend that I'm going to start calling her lucy. went to traverse city michigan area, and brought home a good pirtion of beach with us.
    aside from the hit to our gas mileafe, I recommend a visit if you've not yet been there. one of oyr favorite places - paddling, biking, and just plain gorgeous. stayed @ a new state park for us, actually the oldest park in michigan - interlochen. good sites, nice bathrooms/showers, and quiet.

17. David Olson

David Olson Novice

That is a beautiful area up there.
    Most of the Michigan Lake Michigan coastline is beautiful.
    Don't think Becky has any Michigan rocks yet.

18. Ken & Peggy

well, they DO have some very unusual-looking rocks up there...

19. Hi David. It was great meeting you and Becky at TBTR a couple of weeks ago. As someone else said here, it looks like you are living the dream. I aspire to do some long haul trips like that some day! See you next week at CICO!

20. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Thanks Rick,
    Was good to finally meet you.
    I already started packing for CICO. We are leaving Tuesday for a night or 2 before hand. May get a night in Minn. so we can get it on the map. We got another night last weekend. On track for 101 nights the first year. :cool:
    We got our Texas and Maine travel info in the mail yesterday.