Lots of opinions on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hey Mattster,
    I hope everyone has a sense of humor. Don't look now; I think you just invented the SUV tent! :) Aren't you afraid that “it overheats the galley hatch”? :) Or worse yet, “could this also create an asphyxiation hazard”? :)“It really is a fairly small space inside one of these”. :) (All the quotes are from page 3 of this string.) :) All kidding aside, nice job Mattster. I’m thinking of borrowing that rainfly idea for over my trailer door. If you already have a Northern Breeze, this would be a nice addition. You're right; it’s nice to have the galley tucked inside out of the bugs, especially while cooking with the lights on. No more bugs flying into the food. I’ve been using my SUV tent in the hot summer and dead of winter for 2 years now and I have always used the gas stove in the galley without the hatch ever overheating. Compare Your NB photo (Listed next to my photo) to this photo of my rig. I don't see much difference![​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

So we just lived in the Northern Breeeze with the GEM Designs wall for a week at a local Burning Man event in Miami. Consensus was it was the best camp in the place. And no trouble with overheating my SUV tent. ;)

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Mattster, you might want to consider setting up an account athttp://imgur.com/. They will host pictures for free for you, just create the account and upload the images. You can create folders, set privacy levels, etc. They provide you hperlinks back to the images you can add to your posts so the pictures show up, it works well. The free accounts you to be limited to about 100 pictures or so but they just announced unlimited storage (ad supported) so you can store as many pictures as you want in as many folders as you want and it is free.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Jay & Valerie

I thought bugs were just adding a little more protein to the meal?

5. Jay & Valerie

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

We just bought a new Alcove this weekend, as our prior Alcove failed miserably in a recent rain. Three of the hubs broke. Supposedly REI redesigned the Alcove. I did not notice any change in the hubs, but perhaps they added a guy line.

Do you have a suggestion for staking a leg that is on asphalt??

7. AlCat

http://www.craftprofessional.com/tent-weights.html

still wondering what other folks are doing. I can often get three legs onto the dirt, but the fourth is almost always on asphalt....

8. Mike_Kathi

Mike_Kathi Newbie

I do out door events for work and instead of bring sand bags or weights I will use water for extra weight. Just a thought you could use a 5 gallon bucket filled with water and attached to the leg of tent. A gallon of water is 8.35lbs. So you will not have to lug all that weight with you, just dump it out when leaving!

9. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

It's not necessary to have all corners secures but the water idea is a good one - I always have a 6 gallons water jug avail for that but don't forget bi goes direct toy to the fenders - just made it through constant 30 mph wind at Cape disappointment with only the front side bungied and staked.

10. AlCat

I'm not concerned about the wind. I agree that not all four legs need to be staked for wind. But for rain, I have been told that all four legs must be staked (and that you need to use the guy lines). The ONLY times we've had a problem with the Alcove is due to rain (and the accompanying wind). We had three legs staked and the fourth leg not staked but did use the guy line for that corner, and the light rain and wind caused three of the corner "hubs" to bend/break and the Alcove bent and failed. For rain protection, I think all 4 legs need to be staked and the guy lines used. Or so I am told.

I have read of weights that hang from the canopy near each corner.http://www.amazon.com/Undercover-Ca...Solution/dp/B00FVU2VG0/ref=dp_ob_title_sports
    -Al

11. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I made two bags to use on the legs away from the trailer. They are made from the bottom half of the legs of a pair of blue jeans that ended their life with holes in the knees. I sewed up the cut off ends, added a nylon webbing loop for a hanging strap, and a couple of ties to hold it to the bottom of the legs. When setting up camp, if they are needed I can fill them with rocks or sand. Empty they are easy to store.

I also drilled two holes in my roof rack brackets. The holes are in the end and don't effect the rack function. I can put guy lines through the holes to hold the front of the canopy, works better than trying to attach to the fenders.

12. AlCat

good tips

I like the idea of not carrying extra weight with me (so filling the weights with water/sand/rocks at the campsite is appealing).

(I realize this is a bit silly, since I'd only be adding 20 pounds to the TV for the trips, but....)

13. Towbert

Towbert Novice

Rafters for Alcove

Went to Home Depot to buy bungees, and found....
    24" four packs (red)
    36" four packs (blue)
    What is the best size for Alcove Rafters?

14. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Re: Rafters for Alcove

36"

Michael

15. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

These are the bungees I bought, they are flat instead of round so they may provide a little better support. Most importantly, the colors go well with the Alcove ! :) Flat 36" Bungee Cords

Randy

16. kelowatts

kelowatts Newbie

Any update on this? We would be interested in it as an Add-on. Any idea on price?

17. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Looking at your picture with the insert you have the CI right over to one side of the Norther Breeze. Do you find the Galley Hatch catches on the roof on the other side where the CI is adjacent to the tent wall?

18. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

For those of you that have a Northern Breeze, I tried something new the last time I went camping. In the past when it rained, I would take the front awning and pull it over the top of the 560, bungee it to the tongue. I would connect the sides to the door stops. This allowed me to keep the fan open as well as the windows on the doors.

This time, using the MSR tent stakes I posted about before, I pounded them into the ground so that they were flush. When it was raining, I used bungee cords on the sides as well so the the front flap provided more protection. I also liked that the water drained away from the tent unlike when you use tent poles. When it wasn't raining, I rolled the front awning up and since the stakes were flush with the ground, you didn't have worry about tripping over them. I also bungee'ed the side awning so that it was angled away from the side. It kept things dryer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Looks good Joan thanks for sharing we tried this but with a pole which caused pooling of water on the top this seems to cure that issue. Do you do both sides? We have a side tent that would go on one side of the CI

20. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yes, I do both sides. Since I am by myself and I use the passenger side door, I position the tent to give me as much room on that side as I can.

I also have a side tent but tend not to use it with the Northern Breeze. If I did, I would have it on the driver's side and go back to hooking that side of the awning to the door stop. I have done this in the past.

I figure that the calisthenics I do getting dressed in the teardrop are what is keeping me young.