Major Upgrade on the Way!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Evan, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

With school finished for a while I have decided to go ahead with plans to upgrade the forum to modern software. The current software, though once cutting-edge, has been abandoned by the developer and has not received an update in over five years.

This will be the biggest upgrade in the 6 year history of the Unofficial Camp-Inn forum, but I hope to make the transition as smooth as possible for everyone.

The biggest advantages of new software will be support for mobile devices and easy picture uploading, along with a host of other improvements.

I will do my best to make sure that the good things about the current software don't go away, but with new software there will of course be changes to the interface. Particularly, the interactive map (which I custom coded for our site) may not be compatible with the new software, but I am already looking into an alternative solution.

I hope to have the transition made within the next month before I start my new job in Nebraska. Nothing will change immediately. I will be setting up the new site in parallel with the old one and do thorough testing before it goes live. I will keep you all updated on the progress.

For those of you who are interested in taking a sneak peak, the new site is located here: www.campinnforum.com/community/
    At the moment, there's not much to see.

2. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks Evan for all that you do for this forum.

3. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Looks great! And speaking of great, delighted to see you are on your way in your chosen field. Work, work, work, little parson-in-training. Stick with it and some day soon, when we're passing through Lincoln, we'll hunt you down!

Jim says. "We got lost in Lincoln once or twice...".

It was twice - at least.

Kisses to Lena and Katie for us.

Sue and Jim

PS: Tell me you didn't cut your curls. Love those curls.

4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks, Evan!! Everything looks, so far, so good! You're the best!!!

5. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Looking good Evan..

good luck in trying to 'Transfer' (Export/import DB) over the old site into the new one... not easy at all...
    or are you planning on just linking to the old one, read only, and let the new one build...

6. Evan

I'm going to decide that tomorrow after I mess with SQL databases for a while.

7. fpoole

Yah, I've done it several times using vBulletin and others..

You might get lucky, hehehh and Gawd, I hope so SQL seems so easy at first, but then it gets messy.

should be good though, great if you can move it all over... that would be fantastic..

Good luck..
    thanks Evan...

8. Evan

You're right, Frank - SQL gets messy quickly. I'm getting a quote to have this site professionally ported over to the new one. We'll see if it's an option.

9. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Even, thanks for your efforts. I encourage you to check into the professional port. I know how time consuming these operations can be, you have other priorities as well. I personally would be happy to contribute a share of the cost and I am sure there are others who would help out.

10. fpoole

Yah, now that you mentioned it, I think I finally did that on one or two...
    It's still messy, just not so bad... most 95% of the stuff gets over correctly, just need to "Map" it and pray.. heheh..

Anyway, site looks good and appears to be working fine..

I'm sure the Donation Button will or should get a good work out, these things are not cheap...

Thanks Evan..

(Donating now)

11. fpoole

Donate Button - Work it...

Make it happen..

With the new website upgrade that Evan is doing, these things, software, moving, installing and time involved is not cheap and every $25 will help...

Just posting this as sometimes things just go unnoticed...

(Located lower Rt Side column, make it "Work hard fo de money"...

Nice....

(Mann, the upgrade is just in time, I couldn't BOLD nor Color the above, but it shows in the preview, but not in the change Post thing. Anyway, pretend it's in RED and BOLD...)

12. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I agree with Frank. A wallet $25 lighter vs. a forum THAT much useful is a great trade-off!

13. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I donated! Thank you Evan, the test site looks great!

14. Evan

Guys, thanks so much for the support and donations! It looks like the professional help will be about $500. This will allow us to have all the users and posts from this site ported over to the new one - money well spent!

15. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

This has been a helpful and interesting site. I sent $25 your way.

Bob

16. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I never noticed the DONATE button. Thanks for making me aware of it. Donation coming any second!!

17. Evan

Update: I just pulled the trigger to have all the data on this site professionally ported over to the new one. No firm timeline yet, but I expect things to happen soon. Thanks again for the contributions!

18. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks, Evan (et al), for everything you do for the Camp-Inn Forum! Your efforts keep a lot of Camp-Inn lovers happy and informed!!

After 6 years as forum members, it's about time we put our money where our mouths are.....donation headed your way! Looking forward to seeing the new and improved forum!

Jamie & Jim "mcnugit"

19. fpoole

Way Kewl...

I noted the site down several times, probably my "Boonie Internet connection" and figured it was exporting to the new site..

Anyway, way to go Evan...
    Sweet...

20. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

Thanks for your efforts. Donation coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.