Member titles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Oh, yes you are.....

Thanks for the days laugh.

2. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Oh, behave! ( http://youtu.be/F1lJFlB-89Q in my best Austin Powers voice)

3. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I've been curious about the "titles" and how they are assigned. So, I did a search and ran across this thread. I'm guessing the titles/ranking system changed with the move to this new site last year & that is when the title names changed? I'm also assuming it's no longer determined totally by number of messages/postings, because I've noticed some members with postings in the 200-300's range ranked as "Junior Ranger" while other members with 600-800+ postings are still ranked as "Novice"? Can we get an update how it currently works?

Casandra

Evan likes this.
  4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Great question, Casandra. You're right, everything changed when we went to the new site. Currently, a member moves up the title ladder by getting points. Points are awarded for post milestones, for receiving likes (hopefully because a post was informative or helpful), for donating to the forum, etc... The system is a bit complex, but if people care to know more, I can post the nitty-gritty.

Long-time members were awarded points for their old posts, but everyone started with a blank slate concerning likes. That's why some recent but active members with less posts may have climbed higher on the title ladder. I didn't mess with this feature much when I set up the new site. Everything is more or less still on the default settings, so I'm happy to consider any suggestions for tweaking the point structure for our members.

5. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I don't know about needing all the "nitty-gritty" details; but I am curious what all the current titles are on this new site & the basic/general point structure. And what on earth are "trophy points" and how do you earn them? And does posting photos/media/albums factor into the ranking equation? I guess maybe I do want to know the lowdown! LOL I'm just trying to pick up the slack where Uncle Frank left off........Inquiring Minds Wanna Know.....but a "Cliff Notes" version will be just fine! :)

If there is a posting elsewhere about this already, just point me that way would be great.......but I couldn't find it.

Thank You,
    Casandra

6. rrjusa

rrjusa Newbie

Driving into work this morning I thought about this post when someone driving by had a mile post 0 sticker on their car. Could you do something with that?

Another slightly off topic thought. People have the maps in their signatures could their be awards for number of states visited or spent a night in with their Trailer? 5, 10, 25, 48, 50? I can't imagine anyone shipping their Trailer to Hawaii though.

7. rrjusa

rrjusa Newbie

If you had fewer titles could you go with,

Base
    Special
    Classic
    Ultra

8. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

How about something like:

1. Interested
    2. Want One
    3. Obsessed
    4. Ordered
    5. Dark Waiting
    6. Got One
    7. Accesorizing
    8. Having a Blast!

rrjusa likes this.
  9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Thank you for the suggestions. The title ladder has more to do with forum stats than camping stats. In other words, points are awarded for contributing content to the forum rather than for being a seasoned camper. This is important because the forum software can't automatically track your travels but it can easily measure your forum stats. This is a fun little feature that runs in the background and requires no work other than the initial definition of titles and the number of points required to climb each level of the title ladder.

The ladder title currently has four levels:
    Newbie - o points
    Novice - 5 points
    Junior Ranger - 25 points
    Ranger - 50 points

Click here to see how points are awarded.
    I didn't know this little help page existed until Casandra's question got me poking around to find it. I appreciate the interest in the title ladder feature. Honestly, I left this feature with the default settings when I set up the forum - only four titles. I would welcome more suggestions on expanding or renaming these titles. Also, we do have some additional options for awarding points. These include:

Adding your home pin to the user map.
    Going "On the Road" for the first time.
    Changing your status from "Prospective Owner" to "In Production".
    Being a member of the forum for a certain length of time.

The only concern I have with some of these possibilites is that I don't want to "punish" non-owners who are otherwise active on this forum. Owning your teardrop is its own reward. At the same time, it is fun to have little milestones along the way as one progresses from being a lurker and a wannabe owner to a veteran member of the forum and Camp-Inn family. There certainly is a parallel here for most folks.

Now that I've shared the nitty-gritty, I welcome all further suggestion and ideas - keeping in mind that I am constrained by the limits of what the software can track.

Cheers!

10. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

Is there a way to see what our points are up to?

11. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

Never mind! I found it in my profile.

12. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Glad you found them

13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Oh, I can... ;)

14. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

How about:
    0 Newbie
    25 Apprentice
    50 Journeyman
    100 Member
    250 Contributor
    500 Skilled Hand
    1000 Veteran
    1500 Camp Leader
    2500 Path Finder

Personally I didn't care for the titles: Stranger, Addict, Pooh-Bah, or Carpal Tunnel. The count above is one less than contained in Evan's original post #1, but the trigger counts seem more traditional.