Implemented Members Map

Discussion in 'Improvements & Suggestions' started by Evan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Trying the back stroke but the 30 foot swells from the tropical storm are getting to be a bit unmanageable.

2. slumry

slumry Novice

I found myself swimming in the same area but escaped by hitting the Update Pin button. This seems to be required even to show the home location if it is changed. I also think you need to be sure to enter an address that Google can find. I don’t think it will tell you if the address can not be located. I actually had to enter a street address to get mine to show.

Also, as far as I can tell, it does not update anything on the Interactive Owner's Map.

3. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Ah I am now drying out. It needs a full address, not just your city and state. Looks like the default is the City/State from my original profile.

THanks for the life preserver....

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Hey, guys - lots of swimming going on today. :)
    Thanks for doing the beta-testing.

A few notes:

1) Steve is right - the current Interactive Owners Map has no connection to the new profile pins. It will be retired, and a new map with the live pin data will take its place.

2) Right now, the only way to update your pin is by clicking the 'Update Pin' button. Dragging your pin around doesn't do anything yet - check back later tonight (I'll probably get that going later).

3) The popular swimming hole off the African coast is latitude/longitude 0,0. (Greenwich / Equator) It just means that your pin needs some data assigned to it - just type in a location and hit the update button.

4) It is not necessary to type in your home address. City / State will do just fine. If fact, you can type in just about anything (try "X" or "B") and Google will do its best to find a match, so don't worry about proper formatting, etc... If Google can't find a match, it will let you know. Just don't forget to click the 'Update Pin' button.

5. Evan

You can now drag your pin to set your location. Scroll to the bottom and click Submit to save the position - don't click 'Update Pin' or this will rewrite your pin location.

6. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Evan thanks it worked. :)

7. Evan:

This "on the road" pin has fantastic possibilities! How cool will it be next summer when we will all be able to pull into a campground or park and then fire up our devices to see if anyone else is in the area?

I would like to propose that Jenn receive a pin of her own color so that we can keep track of her at a glance!

Thank you for all of your work on these upgrades!

8. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Rick I think thats a good idea we would like to see if we could run into Jenn also and her own color would make that easier. :)

9. Evan

Yes, I was considering Jenn's special color already. How about pink, Jenn?

10. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I don't think Evan has it linked up perfectly yet, but under forum Links on the right is "Interactive Owner's Map" I found you as a white pin in Chicago. But if I click on your profile, you are a green pin in Chicago. If I read this thread right, the theory is that in your profile are two places to put location: where you live, and then there's another spot for traveling.

11. Evan

Correct, Sherry. The new map will show the pin that is in your profile. The old map has outdated info and will be retired soon.

Everyone will have the option of either showing their home pin, or showing a 'current location' pin while on the road.

This is why Jenn deserves a special pin - since her current location is also her home.

12. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Ok snuggled in for the night. Verizon amp getting a good signal ninth boonies. Updated my map location. 37.88547. N108.05854W

Evan I've tried everything to get the red marker to stick when I am off grid. Keep getting an error message saying I have an error in the previous page. Suggestions?

13. Evan

Gary,

I've been messing with the forum tonight - perhaps that caused the error. Right now I see your red pin at Woods Lake. Is this correct?

14. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Yep that's where I am. Thanks. When will an overview map be up replacing the old interactive map?

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I was wondering the same thing. There is one - On the right side of the forum page under 'Forum Links' > 'NEW: Interactive Owners Map'. I had still been looking for it in the 'Meet & Greet' area - not sure what Evan has planned for that map.

16. Evan

Ken, you're right - I'd forgotten that the old map was still up in the Meet & Greet Area. That map will be retired.

17. Ken & Peggy

Sounds like you've been working hard at getting the new map features in place, Evan. Great work!

18. Ken & Peggy

Evan, I like the 'always visible' map! A great way for everyone to see what kind of activity there is every time we log onto the forum.

19. Evan

Thanks, Ken. I was hoping it would get people in the habit of checking to see who's out and about.

20. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Jenn, if you click on the map, the big one pops up and includes Canada and beyond. We get to see our friends pinpointed there as well. It just isn't showing in the box. Not sure if that is what you were looking for.

And Evan, many thanks from us too, on all your hard work!