Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

That's where a good cook book comes in handy.;)

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I do the same thing. My bride is even better or worse depending on your perspective. I struggle that often she hits it out of the park, and I know I'll never have it again...

My launch to the weekend was delayed, so I'm just exhausted at 9pm. I got a late start to the campsite, as the surpantine belt slipped off...no idea why. I put it back on, only one I had, and it was fine. I'll head into town tomorrow to get a new one. It didn't break, it just slipped off. Weird.

I need to go to the store --- thes recipe looks good. I think I'll try it...just need a bag of charcoal...

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This barn swallow is nesting under my RVport.
    093C1C17-D8CF-4E01-AF43-D48A5A86D890 by Tour 931 posted May 17, 2024 at 7:27 PM

4. dustinp

Kinda wondered if they wouldn't find a way to build nests under there when you first showed us your open sided shelter. They can be pretty ingenious engineers when they see a safe place to build. Since you provided them with such a nice place, I hope they respect your RV's paint work.;)

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Yes the RVport is the perfect place for them to call home. So far they haven’t done any damage.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  6. Morning view with Coffee this morning here in Southern Illinois camping on the Ohio River.

Attached Files:

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Clifty falls, also on the ohio river from me --- but no pictures other than from the camp sites, which look like camp sites everywhere.

The only difference is here, is that there is a huge electrical generation facility just to my southwest, which give a view of the chimney -- steam I assume. But its one of the old school smoke stack types.

The power station is located in the town of Madison Indiana, which I walked earlier today. Much like many small towns it has been taken over by antique shops, smaller bars and restaurants. Kind of cute actually -- though I was there early in the morning before most opened. Maybe make a trip back here later in the year after camping season is over and visit the "inn" at Clifty -- it looks rather cozy.

8. dustinp

As I age, I find less energy to play with and maintain my toys, so yesterday began a start to the downsizing of the inventory. Kinda bittersweet watching the new owner drive off in my little gem, but I couldn't pull the CI with it, so off it goes to Buffalo NY. The buyer flew into MSP yesterday, where I picked him up. When we got back to the hangar and he got a chance to look it over, he said " I knew it would be nice, but this far exceeds my expectations" It's a 2009 with just under 20K miles, and in showroom condition. Now someone else gets it for his retirement present to himself like I did.

Attached Files:

9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

WOOF! That looks like it comes with its own police officer!

10. Someone is getting a cool ride!

dustinp likes this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

On both of these "Animal Stories" I'm reminded of my last trip to the Dakotas. A herd of buffalo were crossing through at a 4 way intersection --- it was a sight to behold, to be sure. But I saw a number of people getting out of their cars and walking towards the herd.

I don't know what they were thinking --- if that cow had a calf, or the bull saw them as a threat --- it would have been game over in about 3 seconds.

It amazes me how many people seem to self-submit for Darwin awards.

Yes, Larry Lujack was very much part of my childhood.

12. dustinp

The worst we saw, was in Glacier, where a grizzly was sleeping under a tree about 100yds of the road, and a guy got out of his car, and approached it close enough to throw a rock at it to wake it so he could get a better picture. Unfortunately the bear woke, and ran the other way. I was kind hoping he would get a close-up.

13. Saw that in Yellowstone with people getting out of their cars with lots of Buffalo crossing the road in the Lamar Valley. Couldn’t believe how stupid people were. Seen it in the Great Smokey Mountains with the elk there as well.

14. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Their called tourons

Tourist morons

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

It was hard to watch, especially for the child, who had absolutely no responsibility for anything.

I don't like the fact the inside edition (not my favorite show ever for its sensational nature) called these 'attacks' These were not, they were "encounters" that the people brought on themselves, again except the child - but her parents certainly did.

Can you believe the guy taunting them? I'm sorry, but there is only 1 word that I can think of that begins to capture his essence, and political correctness and decorum prevent me from using it.

But this is pretty much exactly what we saw short of the attack itself. This tells me that it is probably an everyday occurrence. I have no sympathy for any of these people. I suppose if the herd is a hundred yards away, to open the car door get out with your camera and taking a few pictures is OK, but not within 'throwin' distance...geesch.

16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

100 pages...yah, taking on a life of its own :)

I feel like I'm out of sorts completely here lately. My new career has kind of taken on a life of its own, to be frank I haven't worked this yard in a long time and while there are certainly things about it that I like --- not having leisure time to goof off is a big change.

For today, I'm going in a little later --- but until then, its enjoying my medium roast columbian with cloudy skies anticipating a rainy weekend, which is disappointing because of the holiday. I'm not one to camp on major holidays anyway...just too many entitled loudmouths who go out 3 times a year and think they run the place.

Going forward, though, I may not have to deal too much with them -- my 'days off' are Wednesdays and Thursdays. So last minute won't be a problem --- I suppose that's an upside, and with a little planning, I can still get a saturday/sunday in as well.

Not sure I like the 'retail' hours though --- 7-4 was pretty comfortable.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I belong to another forum that has a thread like this and it’s 2,043 pages. Of course it’s been going for about eight years.